How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

I actually question the need to keep hairdressers open. Surely in what is happening in the world at this time,  hair appointments are down the list of priorities. It is also  hard to have socail distancing while having your hair washed, coloured and cut. I know a visit to the hairdresser can give us a lift but.......

My hair is very fine, very straight and almost unstyleable. I wear it quite short and it drives me crazy when it gets too long. There is no way I could cut it myself, it needs professional cutting every four weeks or so. However I don't get it washed, just cut, and I quit having it coloured a few years ago, so a cut takes 15 minutes usually. My hairdresser has enough space to keep clients well separated and keeps the salon very clean - they were sanitising each station and chair as soon as a client was finished when I went there last week. As long as they are happy to keep the salon open I'll be going there for my regular appointments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Unfortunately it is not just the hospitals, but the medical staff, who have a higher rate of infection than the general population.  Angela Merkel caught the virus from her doctor vaccinating her for pneumonia.  

Angela Merkel was in close contact with an infected doctor but apparently the two tests she had over the last couple of days were both negative and she is in self isolation at home.

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, especially the one about a maximum of 30 minutes at the hairdressers - which has been promptly rescinded. No time limit now. I suspect some male politicians were given a reality check by their wives and daughters, especially those who have their hair coloured regularly. 🤣

Is that something that really needs to be done when we're requiring social distancing?

27 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Angela Merkel was in close contact with an infected doctor but apparently the two tests she had over the last couple of days were both negative and she is in self isolation at home.

Sorry about that false information.  When I first heard, she didn't have the results.  Things are moving so fast, I haven't updated my mental data.  (I usually give only facts which I have confirmed, so please accept my apology.  Bare with me - I just emailed a friend I had sent evidence to obtain a copy of my will.  When I reread it I had typed "death certificate", such is the stress of Day 7 of self isolation. Cant blame spell check for that one!) 

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

such is the stress of Day 7 of self isolation. Cant blame spell check for that one!) 

You are on Day 7, we are on Day 13. I don't think about it like that and had to count up from my diary.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when my daughter is going to visit.😁🙂 👍I will set up chairs outdoors at a suitable distance from each other. She has her family in isolation, but she needs to pick up some school materials for her eldest who is grade 1.

This is my day 6......but I broke self isolation today to go to town. 

Got to Woolieworths ( my Grandson calls it that, too cute) at 8am, it is in a shopping centre/mall, not many people about, still no loo paper, for me anyway, I am not timing it right.

Next door to BWS, grabbed a bottle of Vodka and Bacardi.

Needed to go to Aldi for coffee pods, line was out the door, carpark full.

No way I needed to be in that madness, so called into the local IGA and grabbed a few more things there.......no toilet paper, but was able to get my neighbour ( who is still in forced isolation😂) some hand wash. Also grabbed her girls some cupcakes as they cant get out to buy junk food. When home I put their stuff at the door and knock and run haha!!

Re the comments on hairdressers, I understand you all need your haircut, but it is close contact and that hairdresser has probably been in close contact with 10 people before you, I know most are clean and sterilise etc

I love my hairdresser, but hope she is taking some time off and minimising her contact, I certainly wont be making an appointment with her and being an extra person she has to touch that day.

Nail techs and beauticians had to close up, why not hairdressers?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

You are on Day 7, we are on Day 13. I don't think about it like that and had to count up from my diary.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when my daughter is going to visit.😁🙂 👍I will set up chairs outdoors at a suitable distance from each other. She has her family in isolation, but she needs to pick up some school materials for her eldest who is grade 1.

I have to count on my fingers.  I'll be in trouble when I run out of toes!

Enjoy your daughter's visit.  (I am getting email lectures from my daughters, who I understand are just trying to protect me.  Last one was a bribe of a photo of the dogs for every glass of water u finish.  Role reversal now - a senior version of planes flying food in reluctant mouths of toddlers!)

When Arcare closed all nursing homes to visitors, I told my daughters I'd rather die.  Fortunately, the Govt reversed that decision allowing visitors with restrictions.  Expertise - I have spent my whole life visiting nursing homes!

Edited by MMDown Under

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My hair is very fine, very straight and almost unstyleable. I wear it quite short and it drives me crazy when it gets too long. There is no way I could cut it myself, it needs professional cutting every four weeks or so. However I don't get it washed, just cut, and I quit having it coloured a few years ago, so a cut takes 15 minutes usually. My hairdresser has enough space to keep clients well separated and keeps the salon very clean - they were sanitising each station and chair as soon as a client was finished when I went there last week. As long as they are happy to keep the salon open I'll be going there for my regular appointments. 

Maybe having your hair done is good for your morale. I see that. However, I will be cutting my own and using self-applied hair dye. I use that anyway. I use half a pack of L'Oreal each time. It's very easy to do.

20 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry about that false information.  When I first heard, she didn't have the results.  Things are moving so fast, I haven't updated my mental data.  (I usually give only facts which I have confirmed, so please accept my apology.  Bare with me - I just emailed a friend I had sent evidence to obtain a copy of my will.  When I reread it I had typed "death certificate", such is the stress of Day 7 of self isolation. Cant blame spell check for that one!) 

I should clarify - it is not as bad as it seems.  One of my wide variety of public service jobs, over 6 depts, was "Death Claims Clerk".

4 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Maybe having your hair done is good for your morale. I see that. However, I will be cutting my own and using self-applied hair dye. I use that anyway. I use half a pack of L'Oreal each time. It's very easy to do.

I am grateful I let my hair grow, despite people thinking you shouldn't have long hair, when you are old.  Thank you Jackie Weaver!

Last time I was in Melbourne, a lady asked me where I came from.  I replied from Queensland (we are different in the Deep North).  No, she said, "where do you really come from?"  I knew where she was coming from, but I didn't help her out, repeating Queensland.  I suspect she thought I was of European stock because of my hair style. 

I think it's good therapy for us all to share our experiences in these times.

I am still working & in office today on my own. We are mostly working from home, just need one person in office each day. Thankful that I have a job that is still going, at least for now.

DW & I have basically bunkered down at home, me only leaving to go to work & taking a daily walk, and us going for groceries & medical. We were to cruise next week, but of course that was cancelled. I will still take some leave to get some stuff done around the house.

We had planned to sell-up this year & downsize to an over 55 facility, but that is now on hold.

2020 is not working out as per plan. Stay safe all.

25 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

More like good for my sanity! 🤣

I'm very lucky in that my hair looks fantastic silver and all I have to do to keep it looking good is to wash it with a purple shampoo every so often which stops any yellowing. I usually alternate with another shampoo so it doesn't go too bright or even purple. 😲 

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Cheznandy, I've seen TP more often, and in bigger packs, at Coles than at Woolworths.

Thanks, our son shops at Coles and called on the weekend to say.......they got toilet paper yay!!

We are ok for now, but it ain't gonna last forever😱

3 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Thanks, our son shops at Coles and called on the weekend to say.......they got toilet paper yay!!

We are ok for now, but it ain't gonna last forever😱

Our Coles seems to be getting regular supplies of the Quilton 20 roll packs. I'm working on one pack opened and distributed to the various toilets as required, and one in reserve, so I've got enough to last a couple of months. Not stockpiling, just being sensible and planning ahead. Once the reserve pack gets opened I'll start looking for a replacement.

Boxes of tissues seem harder to get than TP now.

28 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I use LOreal also, $20 in Woolies,  I ducked in to Reject store next door to see if they had toilet paper ( they get it 3 times a week, alas, I was late again) and they had the colour I use for $8 so I grabbed 4.

Something had to come good for my one hour weekly venture into the weirdly, quiet, virus infected crazy world.

No TP at our local Woolies. But Rob managed to pick up a pack of three boxes of tissues at the weekend at Woolies, own brand. Probably not brilliant, but better than nothing. I shopped in seniors hour, bought Easter eggs for grandchildren, and some birthday cards to send as well as normal shop. We will walk around to the post box shortly. I have been in the garden, hung washing on the line and made a lemon and coconut cake which I'll cut to have with a cuppa later.

Leigh

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I have to count on my fingers.  I'll be in trouble when I run out of toes!

Enjoy your daughter's visit.  (I am getting email lectures from my daughters, who I understand are just trying to protect me.  Last one was a bribe of a photo of the dogs for every glass of water u finish.  Role reversal now - a senior version of planes flying food in reluctant mouths of toddlers!)

When Arcare closed all nursing homes to visitors, I told my daughters I'd rather die.  Fortunately, the Govt reversed that decision allowing visitors with restrictions.  Expertise - I have spent my whole life visiting nursing homes!

Received half a photo of half a dog!

• Haha 1

No TP in Woollies, Coles or Aldi or even at the 4 IGA stores in and around Batemans Bay. Those B caravanners and other tourists come through and purloin it all, stocking up for the round Straya drive.   I am a dinosaur but would not bother going down at 0700, as others tell me the shelves are empty of the important items.   Even the dry giner ale ran out, what I am I supposed to put with my Aldi Scotch?   The dinos  line up at 0600, not this little black duck.  Ye olde Bidet does the trick.😁

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Did you see that WA  is putting the 3 bottle limit on wine.... but you can till buy a 1 litre bottle of Gin for G&T or Martinis...

( also a video of panic buying at Dans in brighton the other day )

Hairdressers i cut my own as well as the better half''s, then she trims up the back of mine.......

As time the further time goes on..... I am feeling less confident.... still so many people one and about.....

what is this thing the called ""lockdown""

And can only buy about 3-4 days food at once... to eat fresh.... do not want to go the TakeAway route..

at the most we only keep about six dinners in stocks......   Oh well time for that crash diet ......

Cheers and look on the bright side of life.... Don

I just purchased a load of medicine on line from 1st Choice Liquor,  6 cab merlot, 6 Cab Sav, 6 Pinot Grigio,  6 Sauv Blanc and a big 1125 bottle of JW Scotch.  Will keep me going for a week or 2, by then our Dan Murphy store will be open and I will be in like a kid in a lolly shop.pinot.jpg.06374ea0ee22e7f22ebb5a49adcf3da3.jpg

7 minutes ago, NSWP said:

No TP in Woollies, Coles or Aldi or even at the 4 IGA stores in and around Batemans Bay. Those B caravanners and other tourists come through and purloin it all, stocking up for the round Straya drive.   I am a dinosaur but would not bother going down at 0700, as others tell me the shelves are empty.  They line up at 0600, not this little black duck.  Ye olde Bidet does the trick.😁

Surely these days it can only be a round NSW drive ???

I also had just an online order of 'medicine' delivered. I put on some latex gloves and wiped every bottle down with disinfectant wipes - better to be sure ...

Edited by boeckli