How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Interstate heavy vehicle drivers are a real worry re Covid Transmission, they can pick it up anywhere, truck stops, servos, etc.

Yes and it's not an easy one to solve especially as many truck drivers are owner-operators so wouldn't want anyone else handling their precious vehicles, otherwise one solution would be to have border driver swaps ie a  truck from Melbourne arrives at the border. The driver leaves the truck and goes to a facility on the Victoria side of the border for rest and refreshment. The truck is sanitised by a cleaning crew then a NSW driver takes it on. Drivers would also have to have limitations as to where they could stop for refueling and refreshments, and those places would need to be constantly sanitised.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Interstate heavy vehicle drivers are a real worry re Covid Transmission, they can pick it up anywhere, truck stops, servos, etc.

You would hope they are wearing masks when they get out of their trucks and using hand sanitizer once they are back in the truck. Also making sure the truck handles etc are cleaned regularly.

Leigh

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"Queensland will close its border to all of New South Wales and the ACT from 1:00am on Saturday."

I would imagine that the sporting codes will be given an exemption. If not there will be a mad rush to get all teams into QLD.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

You would hope they are wearing masks when they get out of their trucks and using hand sanitizer once they are back in the truck. Also making sure the truck handles etc are cleaned regularly.

Leigh

I wouldn't bet on it, Leigh. 🤔😯

Julie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wish NSW would close it's border to Queensland. With a new, as yet untraced, case in Brisbane Northern NSW communities are at risk.

But closing borders isn't necessarily going to be the panacea they expect. Essential workers are still allowed through and they can carry the virus just as easily as tourists - as was shown in Sydney where the outbreak started from a Melbourne transport worker,

The transport worker wasn't essential. He just came through when borders were completely open.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wouldn't bet on it, Leigh. 🤔😯

Julie

Yes Julie, that would be my guess too but you would hope that transport companies are supplying the cleaning goods and ensuring their drivers and employees know what their responsibilities are as far as public health goes. Although I don't really have much faith that will happen.

Leigh

15 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

The transport worker wasn't essential. He just came through when borders were completely open.

Yeah, I should have worded that specific case differently. He did, however, travel for work purposes. Now it would only be essential workers but there are no real guidelines as to what that covers.

Julie

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thinking of all Victorians tonight and hoping this lockdown is as successful as NZ's hard lockdown was.  I'm looking forward to seeing your numbers come down. 

Melbourne is the theatre and sporting Capital of Australia, so I look forward to my annual visits.  I was booked to Melbourne in March for its Garden Festival, which was cancelled.  Now I'm hoping I can rebook for my annual visit to the Australian Tennis Open in January, 2021.  Like many, I'm waiting for theatres to reopen.  

There are reports today of of +COVID people from Sydney visiting Newcastle pubs. This has me a little puzzled because, with perhaps a few exceptions in these forums, people in Sydney seem to believe nothing exists north of Hornsby.😉

10 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

There are reports today of of +COVID people from Sydney visiting Newcastle pubs. This has me a little puzzled because, with perhaps a few exceptions in these forums, people in Sydney seem to believe nothing exists north of Hornsby.😉

It sounds like the rumour mill is blowing things way out of proportion again. From what I've read one construction worker from Sydney, who subsequently tested positive, was in Newcastle doing some construction work and visited some pubs in the evenings. 

31 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

And how’s this for something a bit different......people have been arrested  for breaking quarantine areas but last night a lady was arrested for breaking into a quarantine hotel . 😳😳😳

Tell us more!

11 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

And how’s this for something a bit different......people have been arrested  for breaking quarantine areas but last night a lady was arrested for breaking into a quarantine hotel . 😳😳😳

Was this in NZ as I cannot find anything in our news services here in OZ?

46 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

There is also the case of a student traveling to Sydney to play in the Newcastle Jets under 15 side and contracting the virus. The school at Adamstown is closed for deep cleaning and the two teams placed in isolation. We were advised by our Local Health authorities not to travel to Sydney, but sport goes on regardless. The virus is out there and has not gone away. 😷

4 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There is also the case of a student traveling to Sydney to play in the Newcastle Jets under 15 side and contracting the virus. The school at Adamstown is closed for deep cleaning and the two teams placed in isolation. We were advised by our Local Health authorities not to travel to Sydney, but sport goes on regardless. The virus is out there and has not gone away. 😷

I had a little chuckle when I heard a newsreader say the school was St Pius 'EX' instead of 'tenth'.

Qld. Police just announced that there was 98% compliance by Queenslanders in isolation at home, when Police checked.  

In Victoria, 500 infected people, who should have been home in isolation, were not home, when checked. This could be one of the reasons the numbers haven't been going down as much as expected. 

ABC News

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Qld. Police just announced that there was 98% compliance by Queenslanders in isolation at home, when Police checked.  

In Victoria, 500 infected people, who should have been home in isolation, were not home, when checked. This could be one of the reasons the numbers haven't been going down as much as expected. 

ABC News

Do you think it is a language problem or something else in VIC that is resulting in this non-compliance problem?

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I think it is lack of respect for authority.  As a frequent visitor to the USA, I've met people who hold anti-government views, so lack respect for authority.  However, I don't understand the reason for this in Australia. 

Those people get their views from people in the US and believe that Australia is just a mini-US. They have no idea that the Australian constitution is quite different, that in some cases the laws are quite different, and that Australians have different "rights".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

many years ago I had a posting in the very top of WA. There was a local Pretty open gaol, and a couple months after I arrived they put in a cyclone wire fence. 

The fence was to keep the wives and girlfriends out, not the prisoners in.

• Like 1

Well getting to what is happening in my area during the current chaos, I'd like to relate a little tale about Australia Post and their continuous moan about running at a loss. The following may shed some light on one of the reasons.

Now our friendly local postman likes a bit of a chat during his rounds, so being retired and rather fond of a bit of a BS session myself, I usually indulge him. During one of these high level discussions he let slip that if I posted a letter to my next door neighbour, the letter would be sent 106Km to the sorting centre in Sydney, then returned 105Km to the local mail distribution centre, and then the 4.5Km to my neighbour. Now I took this with a grain of salt, as it sounded a bit strange to me, however the following experience, with a package that I am expecting today, removes any doubt as to the veracity of his tale.

On Monday morning I ordered one of those little clip on combs that go onto hair clippers to set the length of the cut, from a store at Erina 40Km away. Monday afternoon I received an email from Aus Post stating that the parcel had been picked up and transferred to Tuggerah Parcel depot (25.4Km), and would be delivered to me on either Tuesday or Wednesday (14.1Km). On Tuesday morning, expecting an email as usual advising that the parcel was on board the courier for delivery, I looked up the tracking to find that the parcel was en route to Strathfield sorting centre in Sydney (92.1Km),  where it sat for basically 2 days until last night it was transferred to the Charmhaven Letter distribution Centre (106Km) for delivery to me, hopefully, today (4.4Km).

When I enquired as to why my parcel had taken a leisurely trip to Sydney and return, the reply was that even though it had been sent as a parcel, when it arrived at Tuggerah it was determined that because of its small size it was re classed as a letter, and would be delivered by the postman not the courier. This meant that instead of transferring it directly to the mail centre (15.3Km) it had to go to the letter sorting centre at Strathfield and then to the letter distribution at Charmhaven, and then to me (4.4Km).

Sensible delivery about 28hours and 35.1Km, when it arrives it will be 3days + 5 hours and 227.9Km.

38 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Well getting to what is happening in my area during the current chaos, I'd like to relate a little tale about Australia Post and their continuous moan about running at a loss. The following may shed some light on one of the reasons.

Now our friendly local postman likes a bit of a chat during his rounds, so being retired and rather fond of a bit of a BS session myself, I usually indulge him. During one of these high level discussions he let slip that if I posted a letter to my next door neighbour, the letter would be sent 106Km to the sorting centre in Sydney, then returned 105Km to the local mail distribution centre, and then the 4.5Km to my neighbour. Now I took this with a grain of salt, as it sounded a bit strange to me, however the following experience, with a package that I am expecting today, removes any doubt as to the veracity of his tale.

On Monday morning I ordered one of those little clip on combs that go onto hair clippers to set the length of the cut, from a store at Erina 40Km away. Monday afternoon I received an email from Aus Post stating that the parcel had been picked up and transferred to Tuggerah Parcel depot (25.4Km), and would be delivered to me on either Tuesday or Wednesday (14.1Km). On Tuesday morning, expecting an email as usual advising that the parcel was on board the courier for delivery, I looked up the tracking to find that the parcel was en route to Strathfield sorting centre in Sydney (92.1Km),  where it sat for basically 2 days until last night it was transferred to the Charmhaven Letter distribution Centre (106Km) for delivery to me, hopefully, today (4.4Km).

When I enquired as to why my parcel had taken a leisurely trip to Sydney and return, the reply was that even though it had been sent as a parcel, when it arrived at Tuggerah it was determined that because of its small size it was re classed as a letter, and would be delivered by the postman not the courier. This meant that instead of transferring it directly to the mail centre (15.3Km) it had to go to the letter sorting centre at Strathfield and then to the letter distribution at Charmhaven, and then to me (4.4Km).

Sensible delivery about 28hours and 35.1Km, when it arrives it will be 3days + 5 hours and 227.9Km.

I have a similar story, last Monday I ordered an item for my elderly mother in south west Victoria. It was sent from a Melbourne suburb and I received an email later that day that it had been received by Aus Post in East Bentleigh (close to where it was posted from). The next day I checked the tracking and the parcel was in Sydney at the Chullora Parcel Facility! I sent in a query to why a parcel going to a regional Victorian city and sent from a Melbourne suburb was in Sydney. The response I received after two days was just a standard reply, it didn't address the issue I had raised. On Friday the parcel was in Geelong being processed and Monday it was onboard to be delivered to my mother. Late in the afternoon I received another email saying that the parcel couldn't be delivered as there was no-one home. I rang Mum straight away and Dad checked at the front door, there was a card stuck in the security door. Evidently the front door bell wasn't rung as it is extremely loud and can be heard in all parts of the house. Dad checked the bell and it was working perfectly. My brother was able to pick the parcel up the following day after he finished work. So 9 days before Mum received it. Just ridiculous. 

Leigh