How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

34 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I have a similar story, last Monday I ordered an item for my elderly mother in south west Victoria. It was sent from a Melbourne suburb and I received an email later that day that it had been received by Aus Post in East Bentleigh (close to where it was posted from). The next day I checked the tracking and the parcel was in Sydney at the Chullora Parcel Facility! I sent in a query to why a parcel going to a regional Victorian city and sent from a Melbourne suburb was in Sydney. The response I received after two days was just a standard reply, it didn't address the issue I had raised. On Friday the parcel was in Geelong being processed and Monday it was onboard to be delivered to my mother. Late in the afternoon I received another email saying that the parcel couldn't be delivered as there was no-one home. I rang Mum straight away and Dad checked at the front door, there was a card stuck in the security door. Evidently the front door bell wasn't rung as it is extremely loud and can be heard in all parts of the house. Dad checked the bell and it was working perfectly. My brother was able to pick the parcel up the following day after he finished work. So 9 days before Mum received it. Just ridiculous. 

Leigh

I have a better one!  The day after the Easter long weekend (Tuesday), I posted a mother's day card from Central Coast NSW, to mum in nursing home in Adelaide.  I posted it very early, knowing it may take a while.  Her card arrived just last week.  I am now wondering when to post her Christmas card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

There are reports today of of +COVID people from Sydney visiting Newcastle pubs. This has me a little puzzled because, with perhaps a few exceptions in these forums, people in Sydney seem to believe nothing exists north of Hornsby.😉

And a kid playing soccer bought a present home too.

41 minutes ago, bobhsv said:

I have a better one!  The day after the Easter long weekend (Tuesday), I posted a mother's day card from Central Coast NSW, to mum in nursing home in Adelaide.  I posted it very early, knowing it may take a while.  Her card arrived just last week.  I am now wondering when to post her Christmas card.

I think you already should have 🙂

We have been a bit more fortunate with some recent packages thru Aust Post. 1 posted from Cessnock NSW last Friday arrived here in Penrith yesterday, and one posted at Sunshine West, VIC on Mon arrived this morning. Another couple are not here yet though.

Some years ago we had heaps of problems with Australia Post delivery people just dropping the card in the letterbox rather than bringing the parcel down a flight of steps to our security gate. DH was working at home then, before he retired, and it was very rare for both of us to be out at once. After having to pick up a very heavy (5kg) parcel from our local post office I'd had enough, and so had our local post office. I wrote Australia Post an irate letter. Since then we've had no problems with deliveries, and we even have a gem of a postie now, who always brings small parcels down even though he's not required to.

I think the Federal Government has dropped the ball re mail delivery, which should be a public service.  How did we go from mail delivery twice a day, with whistle blown by the Postie, to the current situation when we don't know when the mail will be delivered.  In addition, the collection times on letter boxes keep getting reduced.

2 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I think you already should have 🙂

We have been a bit more fortunate with some recent packages thru Aust Post. 1 posted from Cessnock NSW last Friday arrived here in Penrith yesterday, and one posted at Sunshine West, VIC on Mon arrived this morning. Another couple are not here yet though.

Delivery of packages isn't the problem.  It is delivery of mail.  My daughters get quite a lot of packages delivered and most are delivered on time.  One wasn't and we found it in the letter box.  Maybe it was delivered with the snail mail, like Russell21's case.

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I think the Federal Government has dropped the ball re mail delivery, which should be a public service.  How did we go from mail delivery twice a day, with whistle blown by the Postie, to the current situation when we don't know when the mail will be delivered.  In addition, the collection times on letter boxes keep getting reduced.

Just economics. Letter postage is dying out as everything goes to email/online, or skype.

To keep up the service with the same regularlity but diminished volume, it'd need to cost $2 plus and rapidly escalating to post a letter. Who'd want to pay that? Which would make it increase even more.

Their just isn't the volume to sustain that frequency.

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I once had a parcel that was being delivered to me in Sydney from a few suburbs away. Australia Post got it to me via Perth WA😱

My friend, recovering from an accident, had a hand knitted bed jacket posted from Qld. to Sydney go astray.  It was eventually found in Perth.  Meanwhile, her friend knitted her another one. 

We live in Monash and had ordered a item from a local store in Greenway (the adjoining suburb - 2km max). The package went from the store to a mail centre in north Canberra, then to Melbourne, then to Sydney before returning to the mail centre in Greenway and was then delivered to us. 5 days later.

All I can think of is that they got confused as Melbourne has the City of Monash, different postcodes though.

Just packing to disembark from the Epworth Spa and Resort.

Seem to be missing a few bones I arrived with, but a whole host of wonderous drugs are replacing them.

Surgery has gone very well with lots of original pain receding. Surgery pain getting better, was told 5-6 weeks healing. Tested myself in physio yesterday carrying 1kg weight in each hand (max allowed) to replicate very basic shopping. Well that won’t be happening soon.

Adrian

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We live in Monash and had ordered a item from a local store in Greenway (the adjoining suburb - 2km max). The package went from the store to a mail centre in north Canberra, then to Melbourne, then to Sydney before returning to the mail centre in Greenway and was then delivered to us. 5 days later.

All I can think of is that they got confused as Melbourne has the City of Monash, different postcodes though.

It doesn't really make sense does it though? Surely postcode is what the postal workers are looking at. Evidently a letter posted for example at Warrnambool where my parents live and is going to an address there is sent to Melbourne or Geelong to be processed before going back to Warrnambool to be delivered.

Leigh

When we lived in Werrington (2747), another suburb of Penrith years ago, we got a few things thru the mail that had come via Wellington (2820) in NSW Central West, where some kind sole had written "TRY WERRINGTON 2747" on the envelope ( the suburb & postcode that the sender had used). Guess we were lucky they didn't go to Wellington NZ!

That same house was on a long street that passed thru 2 suburbs, each with it's own set of street numbers. We often received mail for the house with the same house number as us in the other suburb & vice versa. Wonder how many of our cheques were cashed by the other guys? And they never paid any of our bills 🙂

Edited to add that DW just reminded me that a letter sent to us at Werrington NSW had been to Warrington in England before coming back to us 🙂

Edited by mr walker
more info

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

It doesn't really make sense does it though? Surely postcode is what the postal workers are looking at. Evidently a letter posted for example at Warrnambool where my parents live and is going to an address there is sent to Melbourne or Geelong to be processed before going back to Warrnambool to be delivered.

Leigh

They've "streamlined" the process. Instead of every post office sorting the letters into local and other, they send the whole lot to a remote processing centre as (presumably) that's more efficient. 🤔🙄

• Like 1

When I Was living in the US, the Oz students and Austrian students shared many stories of where their letters home ended up. Sometimes visiting the other countries several times. 

The Austrians started writing No Kangaroos on the envelopes to help the US Postal Service. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Qld. Police just announced that there was 98% compliance by Queenslanders in isolation at home, when Police checked.  

In Victoria, 500 infected people, who should have been home in isolation, were not home, when checked. This could be one of the reasons the numbers haven't been going down as much as expected. 

ABC News

There is another reported reason people aren't getting the message.

"Many young people aren't comfortable getting information about coronavirus through the mainstream media recent research found, and while they have been consuming more news than usual, they have also been avoiding it more.

The three main reasons people gave for switching off from coronavirus updates were fatigue with the coverage, feeling too overwhelmed and wanting to practice more self-care. And that's understandable, Dr Park says, research has shown too much exposure to news during a health crisis has been linked to poorer mental health."

Source ABC

31 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There is another reported reason people aren't getting the message.

"Many young people aren't comfortable getting information about coronavirus through the mainstream media recent research found, and while they have been consuming more news than usual, they have also been avoiding it more.

The three main reasons people gave for switching off from coronavirus updates were fatigue with the coverage, feeling too overwhelmed and wanting to practice more self-care. And that's understandable, Dr Park says, research has shown too much exposure to news during a health crisis has been linked to poorer mental health."

Source ABC

My daughters tire of TV coverage and get all their information from social media.  It doesn't really matter how they get the message as long as there is compliance to Government rulings to try to keep us all safe.

49 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My daughters tire of TV coverage and get all their information from social media.  It doesn't really matter how they get the message as long as there is compliance to Government rulings to try to keep us all safe.

I don't watch much TV so rarely see TV news or other coverage. I check news websites regularly and also connect with some useful FB pages.

• Like 1

Interesting how we are now talking about the post office. My best friend is a postie her in Victoria (the one in Canada) some of the perks and rules are interesting to say the least. We have similar stories here, they closed the sorting station here on the island so everything goes to Vancouver for sorting and then comes back, apparently that's more efficient🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

When we lived in Werrington (2747), another suburb of Penrith years ago, we got a few things thru the mail that had come via Wellington (2820) in NSW Central West, where some kind sole had written "TRY WERRINGTON 2747" on the envelope ( the suburb & postcode that the sender had used). Guess we were lucky they didn't go to Wellington NZ!

That same house was on a long street that passed thru 2 suburbs, each with it's own set of street numbers. We often received mail for the house with the same house number as us in the other suburb & vice versa. Wonder how many of our cheques were cashed by the other guys? And they never paid any of our bills 🙂

Edited to add that DW just reminded me that a letter sent to us at Werrington NSW had been to Warrington in England before coming back to us 🙂

Reminds me of a letter that was sent to us in Adelaide from Sydney that went via South Africa (SA), despite not having an international postage stamp on it.

• Haha 2

In many ways it makes sense to centralise sorting, otherwise you need to sort locally, into local and non local then send the non local to somewhere to be sorted into localities And then sort incoming from out of area, then sent to those localities for more sorting, or send everything to one location, (city) sort into localities and then forward on where local sorting takes less time as all the out of area has been taken out. Sounds inefficient at first but when you think it through saves a lot of double handling.

On the postal subject many years ago a good family friend was in Timbuktu ( yes the one in Africa )

and sent us a postcard......  the story is they were back for months, and the postcard finally arrived in Melbourne Australia   time a bit over 7 months... ( came by camel )

Don

Ps  Just a over month order a dvd from JB  started journey at Brighton, when to Frankston then to Sunshine to finally to us about 5km from where it started.

Edited by getting older slowly