How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Central Coast, Adelaide for Ulysses AGM, Norseman, Esperance, Albany, Cape Leeuwin, Manjimup, Perth, Kalgoorlie, Whyalla, Broken Hill, Nyngan, Central Coast. 10,400Km, 24 days with 17 riding days, average of 612Km each riding day.

My cousin rode right around Australia once on his motorcycle.  Not sure what he had though. 

16 hours ago, NSWP said:

That was an old saying..As useless as an ash tray on a motor bike. I thought it was great back in about 1972 when the govt replaced my kick start Triumph Trophy for a honda 4, electric start, heaven.

Yep, those 750/4s would have been a revelation. No more oil on the ground, on your boots and everywhere else. These days bikes don't have kickstarts, even my 36 year old Yamaha FJ1100 does not have one. The HP are still using Yamahas, FJ1300s. The Japanese were way ahead of the times. I have a 1960 Colleda 250 (that's what Suzukis were called before the called them Suzuki). It has a spot under a sidecover to store the "emergency" kick start lever. It also had coupled hydraulic brakes.

When I did my rider instructors course our instructor was an ex HP instructor. I'll try and remember his name, you may know him.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Yep, those 750/4s would have been a revelation. No more oil on the ground, on your boots and everywhere else. These days bikes don't have kickstarts, even my 36 year old Yamaha FJ1100 does not have one. The HP are still using Yamahas, FJ1300s. The Japanese were way ahead of the times. I have a 1960 Colleda 250 (that's what Suzukis were called before the called them Suzuki). It has a spot under a sidecover to store the "emergency" kick start lever. It also had coupled hydraulic brakes.

When I did my rider instructors course our instructor was an ex HP instructor. I'll try and remember his name, you may know him.

I probably would, from ye olde St Ives. PDTS. Was it Keith Askew? There were a few Instructors doing the motorcycles. The police motorcycle course was 4 weeks back then in 1969.  Plus another week for the trail bike certification.

Edited by NSWP

Les, been meaning to ask if you came across John Cumberland during your time. He started out on the job, was the seconded to the union for he obligatory 2 years, did such a good job that the union made him an offer of permanence, so he left the force and ended up the Union OH&S man for the state. I owe my current marital state to him and his wife.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

I probably would, from ye olde St Ives. PDTS. Was it Keith Askew? There were a few Instructors doing the motorcycles. The police motorcycle course was 4 weeks back then in 1969.  Plus another week for the trail bike certification.

It wasn't Askew. I'd know it if I saw it. I recall him telling us (instructor students) that back in the old days HP riders were taught how to lay a bike down in an emergency situation. He added that it is no longer part of the curriculum. Whew.

57 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

It wasn't Askew. I'd know it if I saw it. I recall him telling us (instructor students) that back in the old days HP riders were taught how to lay a bike down in an emergency situation. He added that it is no longer part of the curriculum. Whew.

That was back when the Triumphs they rode had crash bars, which were necessary if you wanted to lay a bike down without mashing your leg. For some reason when they started to ride the 1959 Matchless they didn't fit the bars. As soon as they realised what a POS the Matchys were the brought in the 500cc BMW's, silent death as they were known for their lack of sound which enabled them to sneak up on you. The BM's came with their own bars, or saggy tits as they were known.

The old joke was Whats a BMW/ Ans. A Moto Guzzi with saggy tits. The comeback was always Whats a Moto Guzzi? Ans. A BMW that's been dropped on both sides.

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2020 at 3:26 PM, NSWP said:

8C, windy and raining on NSW Far South Coast, a good sea running, must be nearly red wine o'clock.🍷

I seem to recall your daughter living at Moruya ? where there is currently a flood alert.  I hope she is safe.  Didn't that area have bushfires?  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I seem to recall your daughter living at Moruya ? where there is currently a flood alert.  I hope she is safe.  Didn't that area have bushfires?  

She did as we did, evacuations etc. now she is watching the river level, as is the hospital, right on the Moruya River, she lives 300m from the hospital, lovely country town, half hour south of Batemans Bay. Thank you for your concerns Marion.

Edited by NSWP

Flood evacuation order now for residents of Moruya, inc my daughter, two grandkids, dog, cat, birds, guinea pigs, here we go again, fires were enough, now it is on again. Going to be a long night. 

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Flood evacuation order now for residents of Moruya, inc my daughter, two grandkids, dog, cat, birds, guinea pigs, here we go again, fires were enough, now it is on again. Going to be a long night. 

I hope everyone is OK, Les. 

Where will they evacuate to?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I hope everyone is OK, Les. 

Where will they evacuate to?

Batemans Bay Village Centre car park, covered area, holds 300 cars , half hour drive south, no high ground really in Moruya, but my place is where they will come, if roads are open. Town of 8000 souls so big operation. 2020 is a nightmare for us and many others. Thanks for your concerns.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The flood seems to have gone from warning to order to evacuate very quickly.  I had seen the rapidly flowing floodwaters on the news.  I hope your daughter and family were able to get to your house safely.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Batemans Bay Village Centre car park, covered area, holds 300 cars , half hour drive south, no high ground really in Moruya, but my place is where they will come, if roads are open. Town of 8000 souls so big operation. 2020 is a nightmare for us and many others. Thanks for your concerns.

Good luck to your family Les and to the people of Moruya. Hope all goes well for them.

Leigh

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Best of luck to you and yours Les. Hopefully these precautions will save lives and the property damage is less than feared.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The rain has arrived here from down south. Batten down the hatches. ☂️

64 km Newcastle Radar

Still haven’t had a lot of rain, or wind. But it’s cold and my body is aching, it’s a great barometer.

14 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

It's just about past us here in Gorokan, still blowing a gale with the occasional shower. Last night we were getting rain in the red colour of the above chart, heaviest I've seen in a long while.

Wow. I just looked at the BOM radar above. I'm still in bed and I think I may stay here a while until the heaters I've just turned on warm the house up.

I lived in Gorokan for a short while when I worked in the bank at Toukley, back in the 60s. Hung out at The Beachcomber quite a bit.

• Like 1

Clearing down here, 300mm of rain since Friday. My daughter and family evacuated yesterday evening, just went home, some streets in Moruya still flooded and closed. But hers ok. Princes Hwy north and south is open. SES and RFS sandbagged the CBD.  Flood peak was 2.1M.  Had enough of the rain, it is heading up north now as reported above. Stay safe and thank you for your concerns.  Moruya is a riverside town, has a significant flood history.

Bindi the Grand Dog liked the sleep over. woof.lab.jpg.fff19d94316c5f157a1659621efc0ce2.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 4

The main band of rain is well north of us now, of course, but it looks like we might get a few showers at times.

It's bloody cold though. My cat, Niki, is snoozing on my lap - he never does that in the daytime usually, only in the evenings. Unfortunately we have to go out soon, and so will he as our cleaner is coming and Niki hates the vaccuum cleaner. I suspect we'll get yelled at when we get home. Niki isn't a very vocal cat except when he's annoyed about something. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Wow. I just looked at the BOM radar above. I'm still in bed and I think I may stay here a while until the heaters I've just turned on warm the house up.

I lived in Gorokan for a short while when I worked in the bank at Toukley, back in the 60s. Hung out at The Beachcomber quite a bit.

OMG not the Beachie! in the top 4 on the list of naughty pubs in NSW over the past few years. It's made the news a few times.