How are things where YOU are? (in relation to the Corona Virus)

16 hours ago, Rassa said:

And plenty of time to cruise .......oh oh we can't do that either.

One thing that is a real plus... you can make holiday arrangements at the last minute....

But you are right   ... if it is over 5km away we are out of luck.....

if one has a back yard you can go camping ....

Cheers Don

• Like 2

The Queensland attitude, for want of a better word, is not new. A very good friend and his family moved to Queensland about 35 years ago, and when I visited six months later I naturally asked how's it going. They said it was like living in a different country, and that hearing news from the rest of Aus was scarce. I could elaborate further, but it would seem the attitude, wherever it's coming from, still exists.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

The Queensland attitude, for want of a better word, is not new. A very good friend and his family moved to Queensland about 35 years ago, and when I visited six months later I naturally asked how's it going. They said it was like living in a different country, and that hearing news from the rest of Aus was scarce. I could elaborate further, but it would seem the attitude, wherever it's coming from, still exists.

Funny you should mention this, I have a mate at work who is from Brisbane. He is a great guy polite hard working and has come a long way from raw rookie 2 years ago to a very competent hand. I mentioned the current situation reference Queensland and he said "that is standard attitude" he likened Queensland to Texas. Apparently Queensland thinks they should be their own country; I said "like Quebec" in Canada and he said "no...more like Alberta" then I understood.

I asked him how it was he was so different? he said "I always wanted to move to Melbourne, and I eventually did"

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 2

I am so sorry that I had no idea of the depth of feeling against Queensland.

Having made our home here for the last 20 years I do have to admit it does take some getting used to. However the rewards for hard work and acclimatising to the Qld way are very satisfying.

There has been a great deal of angst here regarding the people being isolated from loved ones in time of need, yesterday the Premier admitted being reduced to tears by the stories of personal grief and despair. We all hope things will be made easier in the future.

Reportedly the chief health officers very unfortunate statement regarding granting entry to those who can pay was taken out of context and was part of a longer press conference speech that was cherrypicked by the media.

I have not been able to locate any transcript of the speech, perhaps others can?

Anyway where would Australia be without Qlders such as Clive, Pauline and the mad hatter Katter?.

Not to mention Daylight Saving.

Please, keep safe, keep apart, be kind and remember Qlders are people too.

Michael.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Having made our home here for the last 20 years I do have to admit it does take some getting used to. However the rewards for hard work and acclimatising to the Qld way are very satisfying.

There has been a great deal of angst here regarding the people being isolated from loved ones in time of need, yesterday the Premier admitted being reduced to tears by the stories of personal grief and despair. We all hope things will be made easier in the future.

Reportedly the chief health officers very unfortunate statement regarding granting entry to those who can pay was taken out of context and was part of a longer press conference speech that was cherrypicked by the media.

I have not been able to locate any transcript of the speech, perhaps others can?

Anyway where would Australia be without Qlders such as Clive, Pauline and the mad hatter Katter?.

Michael.

I have a number of QLDer relatives and friends including my brother and sister in law and my husband's best friend. I don't think the angst is against QLDers but your state governement.  You certainly do have some unique people from your northern state - is it too much sun? 😀

Leigh

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another quirk of lockdown levels.

Friends are celebrating an 80 th this weekend , Max numbers are 10 , so it’s being done in 3 shifts .🎂🎂🎂🎂

A creative solution, I hope everything turns out well and everyone has a great time. I also hope everyone stays safe.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Another quirk of lockdown levels.

Friends are celebrating an 80 th this weekend , Max numbers are 10 , so it’s being done in 3 shifts .🎂🎂🎂🎂

So they are having three birthdays cakes..... what a great idea....

I remember when my mum turned 80 

she ended up having two parties one for family and one for friends .....

the drink bill for the family was good the friends about 3 times the cost... LOL 

are they getting an OBE.... got one for my mum   Over Bl**dly Eighty Award....

everybody laughed and she love it

Cheers Don

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

So they are having three birthdays cakes..... what a great idea....
Cheers Don

That’s the problem . A friend has made and decorated the cake but she does not know if it will be cut at the first,second or third sitting 🥳🥳🥳

Here’s a pic of the cake she made....

19E0D058-2400-466D-AD0F-B1D1D2986C98.thumb.jpeg.96eadf703e222249e00f2220ae973a36.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Michael.

Well said Michael, I have a brother and sister in Qld. Let us forget the angst and get on with life.

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

How many bricks need to be cleaned Les? And what is your daughter intending to do with them? 

Leigh

Thanks for asking Leigh, I just got home from Moruya which is a 30 minutes drive, 38 km south, just down the road as they say.  Well my daughter built a new house on the side of a hill, lot of retaining walls which needed to be cleaned of cement, lime, dirt etc prior to painting, a lot of bricks Leigh, I need a few ciders now to replace the sweat. I think I have to help with the painting too. 

I was going to drive to Canberra today 395547914_Tshirt.jpg.2458aafc8c15be90a46b911b04a5472d.jpg to be with Mic and his mob for the ACT Cruisers meetup. Sorry Mic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Thanks for asking Leigh, I just got home from Moruya which is a 30 minutes drive, 38 km south, just down the road as they say.  Well my daughter built a new house on the side of a hill, lot of retaining walls which needed to be cleaned of cement, lime, dirt etc prior to painting, a lot of bricks Leigh, I need a few ciders now to replace the sweat. I think I have to help with the painting too. 

I was going to drive to Canberra today 395547914_Tshirt.jpg.2458aafc8c15be90a46b911b04a5472d.jpg to be with Mic and his mob for the ACT Cruisers meetup. Sorry Mic.

There were a few of us there, 6 anyway, great meet up and plenty of room to social distance. Next time buddy.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I am currently in regional Qld., where the news is totally different to Bne/GC.  I used to enjoy listening to regional radio when we drove from Old. through NSW to Melb for the Aust Open each year.  It was an education to listen to what was important to the people in the bush.  When you visit events in the bush in Qld., the only media people there are the local ABC, who are loved by the locals.  I remember attending a Peanut Festival at Kingaroy and Joe, the Premier, was throwing peanuts to the crowd, from a tractor.

25 minutes ago, nnps said:

Just about says it all. Love it.

Where can I get this shirt? This shirt describes my day routine so perfectly lol and I am like the only person among our friends who is in love with cruising. I thought maybe some Cruise company will start selling these things? In any case, if you could share a link with me, I will be more than thankful 

19 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

Not true, no out of context, the excuse used by so many . The CHO was answering a direct question & clearly said that the reason for the exemptions was that these people bring in a lot of money, which is of course evidence that the decisions were not made on medical grounds.

Edited by mr walker
typo

15 hours ago, NSWP said:

I have a brother and sister in Qld. Let us forget the angst and get on with life.

I do also Les. Have not seen my brother this year (missed his 60th) & only saw my sister because she was allowed down here to visit her daughters and grandies.

We want to get on with life, accepting that we can't do everything we are used to, but objecting to BS restrictions & double standards from the QLD government.

Stay safe all. Off to have lunch with Mum today - maybe fish & chips.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I do also Les. Have not seen my brother this year (missed his 60th) & only saw my sister because she was allowed down here to visit her daughters and grandies.

We want to get on with life, accepting that we can't do everything we are used to, but objecting to BS restrictions & double standards from the QLD government.

Stay safe all. Off to have lunch with Mum today - maybe fish & chips.

In the news this morning, Qld Deputy Premier stating the Qld border might not be open for Christmas, over the top in my opinion.

20 hours ago, possum52 said:

I don't think the angst is against QLDers but your state governement.

At the moment the job of the Queensland government is to keep Queenslanders safe.

Unfortunately the most unsafe thing they have done recently was to open the border to NSW last July.

The sniping going on by certain politicians and the Courier Mail to allow even more holes to be poked in the border is not helping. They are trying to have it both ways, either the Qld govt is cruel by denying entry or the Qld govt is incompetent by allowing covid breakouts.

Admittedly the economic exceptions being made are not a good look, but I bet if they were being refused the same people would be up in arms about destroying the Qld  economy.

Covid deaths:

Vic 716

NSW 52

Qld 6

Edited by SinbadThePorter

11 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

At the moment the job of the Queensland government is to keep Queenslanders safe.

Unfortunately the most unsafe thing they have done recently was to open the border to NSW last July.

The sniping going on by certain politicians and the Courier Mail to allow even more holes to be poked in the border is not helping. They are trying to have it both ways, either the Qld govt is cruel by denying entry or the Qld govt is incompetent by allowing covid breakouts.

Admittedly the economic exceptions being made are not a good look, but I bet if they were being refused the same people would be up in arms about destroying the Qld  economy.

Covid deaths:

Vic 716

NSW 52

Qld 6

Actually it's not "to keep Queenslanders safe". No more than it's the job of your local council to keep you safe. That's the responsibily of the Australian government, to cover all Australians.

That's why there's no QLD army or defence force. And in the same context as this, the vaccination schedule and funding is controlled by the Australian government. (However, the implementation is handled by the states.)

Her job is to manage the state optimally, as a part of the Commonwealth of Australia. And lately she hasn't been doing that, leading to all the complaints.

As for the stats... unlike QLD, NSW has more than played its part in the Commonwealth and been handling the lion's share of international arrivals. And guess where pretty much all the covid has come from - internationally. If we'd just been isolationist like QLD and effectively blocked international arrivals then we could have lived in la la land too, blaming others... and ignoring all the Australians  - including to other states - who need to return home, and had a really low death rate too. I don't know who would have actually kept all those Australians overseas safe by enabling them to return home then....

Unlike QLD, NSW has done more than its share, including receiving the bulk of QLDers who need to return home from overseas. And also kept up trade with other states, which is where we got another batch of covid from. But oddly, we don't get in such a blame game with Victoria, as QLDers seem to with the other states.

• Like 2

Finally the Queensland Heath Department is showing some compassion. About time. Full article at the ABC.

The mother of a terminally ill man says his family members have received an exemption to visit him in Queensland to say their goodbyes.

"The 39-year-old's parents and one of his sisters live in Port Macquarie, on the NSW Mid North Coast, and his mother Rhonda Langborne says they have received verbal approval from Queensland Health that they will be allowed to travel. "I feel ecstatically relieved," Ms Langborne said."