Princess Sept 2020 Alaska Cruise

TRAVELCRUZIN

Nobody is going to be able to do anything but speculate, some very wildly, because there is no info to give you. There are dozens of threads around the boards asking about every cruise well into 2021, but there just is no hard info to be had.

I think you will need to make a decision around May 15th on the info available at that moment.

7 hours ago, TRAVELCRUZIN said:

Should I be worried? Final payment isn't due until May 24th. Wondering if I should just ride it out. It's the trip of a lifetime for my oldest sister!

I can sympathize with your dilemma, we also had a bucket list Alaskan cruise planned 5/16/20, 2 - premium aft balcony cabins for our family and flying across country.  All the shore excursions booked and were paid for.  3-day land vacation in Seattle prior to cruise with city-pass tickets purchased.  A lot of time goes into planning an Alaskan cruise and I being the planner had tried to make it a vacation to remember for everyone in our family.  But we had to cancel, unfortunately,  just too close for things to be okay by our sailing dates.  Hopefully yours will work out and you and your sister will be able to enjoy your time.  Good Luck!

I also have a September cruise to Alaska. My final payment is May 30th. I realize that I will probably be canceling, but I will wait it out until May. I would suggest that you prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. No one can predict how this is going to play out, but I think that I would rather go next year, rather than be disappointed this year. Many people have pointed out that there may not be workers for the excursions, I would be disappointed if I pay all this money to go on a cruise only to have all of my excursions canceled. I also would not trust the cruise lines to inform passengers that this, so I will keep a close watch as things unfold.

I am going to sound negative here but I would not make final payment. I would ride it out but if things don't look good, don't make final payment. Several of us are still waiting for refunds of cruises cancelled by the cruise lines.

If the ships are sailing then, I am sure there will be deals to be had for that cruise.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 3

On 3/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, Coral said:

I am going to sound negative here but I would not make final payment. I would ride it out but if things don't look good, don't make final payment. Several of us are still waiting for refunds of cruises cancelled by the cruise lines.

If the ships are sailing then, I am sure there will be deals to be had for that cruise.

I concur with Coral.  If the Alaska season does start, there ought to be some tremendous deals available.  The booking window will be so short, the cruise lines will probably have to make unusual attempts to "fill" their ships.  

1 hour ago, Decpl said:

We are booked for cruise part, August 7th and land tour starts August 1st. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place on what to do?

We are booked with a cruise tour also...starting August 5th.  Right now I am just waiting it out.  Not that I plan on the cruise but to let the cruise line cancel.  I have also booked our flights and that will be another thing to deal with.

We are booked on the Solstice for August 28 and planning to make final payment with the hope that we'll get to go. I feel like we're playing chicken with Celebrity....waiting for them to cancel cause I'd rather have the refund.

🤞

We have Koningsdam booked for August 29th from Vancouver, final payment due May 31st.  Like others it is a wait and see game, expectations however that we will cancel before final payment.  Figure by that point we have a better idea how this all plays out, but it is hard to be optimistic when you watch the news.  Thankfully PIF is two months away, which is probably going to feel like 2 years frankly with everything going on, it has certainly reset priorities. 

We also have an August booking for another cruise line... Who knows- it is crazy for sure...

We keep looking at the final payment date, and not knowing what we really want to do. Luckily the cruise is allowing for you to transfer your booking without penalty. That may be what we choose in the end to transfer over to next August- but it feels right to wait and see. We are also realistic that the cruises will want to keep your money and offer future cruise credits instead... so we want to make sure we are being wise.
Right now our game plan is to wait until we are closer to the final payment date and make the decision.

Find out where the world and the cruise industry is by then... and make a decision from there.

I moved to a September Alaska cruise after I was cancelled on a HAL cruise this spring.  Fingers crossed.  I think if that one gets cancelled I'll just go for the refund...so I guess I'm "letting it ride" with my FCC so to speak. 

With the financial dilemma Carnival Corp and others is facing, I would not make final payment as the FCC should the voyage be cancelled might be just a piece of paper.   I just can't cruise again until a vaccine is available as the risk is just too great. I doubt I will even get my deposit back on a cruise for this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:25 PM, donaldsc said:

Another thing to consider.  Ignoring the wonderful scenery in AK, what is likely to be open in AK considering the very short season.  Some places may not bother to open at all.

DON

The "nice" thing about Alaska is there is something to do everywhere that doesn't require stores or vendors to be operating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conwakr said:

The "nice" thing about Alaska is there is something to do everywhere that doesn't require stores or vendors to be operating. 

I agree.  And, I have found Alaskans to be very friendly people.