Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 13

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 23 and Sunday, March 29.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Week 2 of being "sheltered in place."  I'm getting bored!  What to do?  I know, I'll clean and lube my small piece of history.  This pistol is a Makarov that was made in the German Democratic Republic (East Germany) in 1961. This was the sidearm for the East German Military Police.

East Germany was a hotbed of Cold War tensions for most of my life so for me, I consider this pistol to be a true piece of history.  Every time I hold this piece I think of the images of East Germans trying to cross the barbed wire and later the wall into West Germany.

TIP: If you haven't seen the movie Bridge of Spies starring Tom Hanks then rent this movie and watch it while you're sheltered in place.  I think this movie portrays the Cold War tensions better than any other.  The movie received the Academy Award nomination (didn't win) for Best Picture.

IMG_0522.thumb.JPG.4e07fd66d0eb2a22a425ee5733bb0dd3.JPG

I was in Germany when the Wall came down. Walking through Berlin into the former east zone & seeing what life must of been like made you stop and think, some of those places looked like WW2 just finished. 

• Like 1

Since we are responsible adults unwilling to play Wuhan Roulette with our health, socializing is currently on hold for us. Not as much of a change as it might be for others. We often joke that we have a social polygon since we don't have enough points of social contact to plot a social circle. Still, we miss that limited socializing. To replace it, we have watched the entire first season of Star Trek: Picard and have started re-watching the seven seasons of Grimm. Kim is researching recipes and I am working on weatherproofing our backyard patio so it is easier to maintain and possibly add A/C to extend its usability during the year. This will involve time and tools. Happily, I have an abundance of one and sadly, an abundance of the other.

Looking Inward

p3872729153-5.jpg

Dave

Well this past weekend was all about social distancing - in a state that has not declared a full lockdown, but in a county that has, the choices are to stay at home, or to travel to a state park - by heading out to the Everglades wetlands, there are very few people willing to walk miles long levees in 92 degree heat, so I was able to enjoy a day out while being pretty much alone the entire way - the closest I got to a few people was about 40 feet away in the parking lot.  I needed to use my 200-600mm lens with 1.4x teleconverter attached to shoot anything out there - those animals are not used to people and don't really let you get close.  Then when I got home, it was time to jump in the pool for my version of shelter-at-home, and photograph the backyard wildlife.  Here's Saturday's action:

A swallow-tailed kite buzzing the treeline out in the Everglades:

original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk parent in her nest, feeding her chick:

original.jpg

A sandhill crane way out in the grasses:

original.jpg

Shot while soaking in my pool - a northern curly-tailed lizard on my deck (can you guess how he got that name?):

original.jpg

A blue jay hanging out in my hibiscus and watching me in the pool:

original.jpg

A squirrel, socially distancing by lying up on my fence away from the other squirrels:

original.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, pierces said:

have started re-watching the seven seasons of Grimm.

I just finished binge watching that.  Awesome show.  "Hank" and "Adalind" are in the new Lincoln Rhyme series on NBC.  It was weird seeing them in that setting lol.  All the Stargate series are pretty good too if you're into that.  I take that back.  Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were good.  

On 3/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, pierces said:

we have watched the entire first season of Star Trek: Picard

How was that?  I have watched all the ST series, how does it compare?  I don't have CBS AllAccess and was going to take advantage of the free access.

36 minutes ago, cruisin*tigger said:

I just finished binge watching that.  Awesome show.  "Hank" and "Adalind" are in the new Lincoln Rhyme series on NBC.  It was weird seeing them in that setting lol.  All the Stargate series are pretty good too if you're into that.  I take that back.  Stargate SG1 and Atlantis were good.  

How was that?  I have watched all the ST series, how does it compare?  I don't have CBS AllAccess and was going to take advantage of the free access.

Stargate? I can speak G'ould! Photographers kree!😁

Picard is very much in the vein of The Next Generation and was very enjoyable.

Dave