Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

We had a very calm, personal, and socially distant 4th of July celebration in Florida... none of it was typical of what we normally do, but we think we made the most of it all in a weird year.

After making a late breakfast we drove around backroads, listening to music that reminded us of traveling through America.

”Pink Houses”-  John Cougar Mellencamp

”America”- Simon & Garfunkel 

“Ventura Highway”- America

... and many many other wonderful songs
We also found a quiet park where we walked and enjoyed the outdoors.

After making dinner at home we walked around our neighborhood and paths to look at the fireworks displays in the distance and around the neighborhoods (Many people always set off big fireworks in FL on the 4th from their homes) We saw so many fireworks this year... there were less large public gatherings of fireworks displays offered this year, so people were setting them off themselves obviously.
My favorite moment of our fireworks walk was seeing a family who had distantly parked their car on a ridge to watch them all around. We all waved and said “Happy 4th” to each other across the road... and as we were walking away, we hear every exclamation of fireworks delight from the child.

We finally “Cap”-ed the night off rewatching Marvel’s first Captain America movie.

• Like 1

A quiet 4th here; sounds of fireworks last night, which was nice.  Today it is gray and misty.  In a little while we will go out for our first lobster rolls of the season.  Maine is emptier than usual at this time of year, and an article in the paper today described how state residents are taking advantage of the absence of crowds to enjoy some of the summer pleasures.

We are still being harassed by 2 groundhogs who love our perennials.  As a last resort we will have to trap and relocate them, but since there are 2 it probably makes it crueler to relocate them unless it can be in the same place at the same time.  And oh, what if there are baby groundhogs left behind...  So for the moment we're sticking to bad smelling and bad tasting deterrents applied on and around the plants, and caging some of the most appealing ones.  Any hints from all you gardeners out there would be much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, alc13 said:

A quiet 4th here; sounds of fireworks last night, which was nice.  Today it is gray and misty.  In a little while we will go out for our first lobster rolls of the season.  Maine is emptier than usual at this time of year, and an article in the paper today described how state residents are taking advantage of the absence of crowds to enjoy some of the summer pleasures.

We are still being harassed by 2 groundhogs who love our perennials.  As a last resort we will have to trap and relocate them, but since there are 2 it probably makes it crueler to relocate them unless it can be in the same place at the same time.  And oh, what if there are baby groundhogs left behind...  So for the moment we're sticking to bad smelling and bad tasting deterrents applied on and around the plants, and caging some of the most appealing ones.  Any hints from all you gardeners out there would be much appreciated.

I have found a very successful approach to ridding my garden a couple of bunny rabbits that move in. It's natural and very effective. You can buy Coyote or Mountain Lion urine at Amazon, spray the area well, you might have to do it more than once and you won't see the critters again. The Smell dissipates quickly, but it does work. 

It wasn't until about 8 pm when the first fireworks exploded in the neighborhood and it went on til midnight. Much less than in prior years, however. I tried to watch the local fireworks show, with entertainment but the political nature of the comments of the presenters  turned me off. I guess we cannot have any event with out the blather any more. 

1 hour ago, alc13 said:

Mr. Lewilewi used quinine tablets mixed with water to coat the leaves of his favorite plants. It has worked very well when we lived in NY. The bunnies took one bite and never touched the plants again. Here in Florida, he grows his plants in our screened enclosure....no bunnies can get in.

18 hours ago, LewiLewi said:

Mr. Lewilewi used quinine tablets mixed with water to coat the leaves of his favorite plants. It has worked very well when we lived in NY. The bunnies took one bite and never touched the plants again. Here in Florida, he grows his plants in our screened enclosure....no bunnies can get in.

18 hours ago, Bigmike911 said:

I have found a very successful approach to ridding my garden a couple of bunny rabbits that move in. It's natural and very effective. You can buy Coyote or Mountain Lion urine at Amazon, spray the area well, you might have to do it more than once and you won't see the critters again. The Smell dissipates quickly, but it does work. 

Thank you both! I will add these to the arsenal.

Well today actually this morning we would have been arriving at home after departing the Queen Mary 2 from the 4th of July NE/CANADA Sailing at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. 

Getting back to the routine of unpacking, sending out the laundry and getting food back into the house,

No more Broadwalk Cafe or Kings Court Buffet. No more personally service three times a day in the Club Britannia Restaurant. We always order Pizza from our favorite restaurant while re-settling the house back to normal.

Back to making the bed and maintaining the bathroom and house.

Yes it would be fun to bid the Queen Mary 2 farewell along the NY Shore this afternoon on her Transatlantic Crossing.

Well we have to wait till 2021 in hopes cruising will return to normal and with very little inconvenience to experience. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

We're down to single figure cases in Wales today so hopefully pubs and restaurants will be able to open their outside spaces from next Monday as planned.

Mr HH has postponed his birthday party, we might try and have a smaller family gathering if the weather cooperates.

The company we've booked our cottage stay next month are asking for final payment. They are allowed to open but with the current rules we can't go ! Hopefully we can postpone to next year.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

The company we've booked our cottage stay next month are asking for final payment. They are allowed to open but with the current rules we can't go !

Is the holiday cottage in Wales or abroad? What rules say you can't go?

25 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Is the holiday cottage in Wales or abroad? What rules say you can't go?

It's in England, booked with friends, current rules don't allow people from multiple households to share a house as far as I know.

8 minutes ago, Ray66 said:

Oh that's a pity. Rules say you can stay overnight with one other household.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

We have a cottage booked for next month in North Wales and you almost had me worried then.

Sorry to have worried you, the rules might change again but as it is we would be 5 different households so we're not keen to pay the balance.

I am going away with my friend in August.  Although we don't live together, he lives alone so has been allowed to join a bubble so we count as one household.  But yes HH I think 5 households would be stretching things.

Happy Friday everyone, for the first time in weeks we have some nice weather forecast for the weekend.

We've got re-opening dates for lots of things now, I can't remember them all but the final one is pubs/restaurants indoors from August 3rd.

We've lost the deposit on our holiday cottage, the company wouldn't let us transfer the booking. 

Have a good weekend and stay safe.

21 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Sorry to hear that HH. 

Not looking good for my my B2B TA on QM2 in December.  What with the advice not to cruise and the high rate of new cases in the USA. 

LL That is six months off, so let's hope there is a substantial improvement in the pandemic and the return of commerce. While there have been increasing numbers of cases in Texas, we have reached the point that the number of recoveries now exceeds the active cases, and the number of deaths is down substantially. In my county most of the new cases have been determined from additional testing and now there is no need to be symptomatic to get the test so numbers of asymptomatic people are showing positive which is said to be good for herd immunity. 

Hot and humid here. The temperatures are in the mid 90f (30+c) with high dew points. The pool is cool and inviting every late afternoon for deep water aerobics. Working in the garden, short trips to the barber, and grocery and a lot of reading and listening to good music. I am looking forward to the BBC Proms with recordings of past seasons, and hopefully real audiences for the final two weeks. We will get through this event sooner or later. My vote is for sooner. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, Lanky Lad said:

Sorry to hear that HH. 

Not looking good for my my B2B TA on QM2 in December.  What with the advice not to cruise and the high rate of new cases in the USA. 

Now that would be disappointing 😨.

Hopefully the ships might be able to sail somewhere even if a TA isn't an option.

Would you sail on a different itinerary if it was offered ?

We have a 3 night cruise still booked at the end of November on QM2. We reckon there is a chance of that sailing still as it only goes to zeebrugge. 3 nights would be ok to try out the new restrictions that might be in place.

I'm guessing Cunard will do everything they can to prevent an infection on board. They will not be wanting any bad publicity to knock the cruise industry further. The one thing that worries me most is the air conditioning issue. I assume we will hear what procedures are in place before any cruise is allowed to depart, anyway.

On other issues, something has eaten my first two strawberries before I got to them! 😠 I looked yesterday and thought they would be ready today. But today they gave both been half munched! I hope I will get one to try soon! 🙂

Things are not getting better in most of the USA in regards to the virus. Numbers are skyrocketing every day. Our government is not doing anything constructive to stop this pandemic. Our President is insisting that schools should open up even as the numbers of cases are breaking all previous records. The death rate is expected to rise once again as younger people continue to infect the older population. It is amazing that other parts of the world are able to contain this virus, while here in my country we cannot get the government to take charge and lead us in the right direction. 
I hope those of you in the U.K. enjoy your new found freedom.

Hello - I’m not really a Cunarder yet as we (probably optimistically) have our first Cunard cruises planned for December ex Southampton - ongoing COVID-19 disturbances notwithstanding. The cruises are a 3 night Christmas markets trip on the QV to Zeebrugge followed B2B by a 10 night Atlantic Coastal trip to 3 ports in Spain, along with Lisbon and Gibraltar. Final payment is in mid-September so I’m hoping the overall travel landscape will be a little clearer by then (although the realist in me is holding off having a new dinner suit made for the time being). 

Next July we have a QE Alaska voyage booked. We will be taking this cruise as a birthday surprise for my wife - she wants to see bears and I want to see whales. I especially liked the QE’s 12-day itinerary and the ports of call. 

Singapore is gradually relaxing things in a very measured way. Work from home is still the default option where it is feasible, and masks are compulsory once you step out your front door. Groups for dining, shopping and the like are restricted to no more than 5 people and every location has a QR code to scan for exit and entry. 

The normal tourist haunts are very quiet. We live adjacent to the smaller of the two cruise ports which is also very quiet and forlorn looking. The main cruise port has Superstars Gemini and Aquarius berthed there - both being used as overflow quarantine accommodation for the migrant worker community. Slightly west of these ships a number of oil industry ‘floatels’ are being used for the same thing. 

The big development this week, aside from a general election, was the reopening of various attractions including the zoo. Attendance is capped at 25 percent of normal capacity and you must pre-purchase an entry ticket for a designated time slot. We took advantage of the election holiday on Friday to visit and the animals were all looking quite content - almost like they were refreshed after the 3 month reprieve from crowds. 

I hope everyone stays safe and well during these challenging times. 

6ED72B37-E20A-4148-AF61-2D839B9A01FA.jpeg

• Like 3

Lovely photos, especially the big cats. Fingers crossed for your December cruises.

@LewiLewi Wales is opening up a bit more slowly than England, we're watching what happens there.

We're also watching what's happening in America, it doesn't look great.

Stay safe everyone

6 hours ago, Camgirl said:

On other issues, something has eaten my first two strawberries before I got to them! 😠 I looked yesterday and thought they would be ready today. But today they gave both been half munched! I hope I will get one to try soon! 🙂

I feel your gardening pain Camgirl! I seem to have a second flush of strawberries on the way - am hoping that I get to eat more than two this time! We’ve had a different problem to you - they just seem to rot before they properly ripen. I gave the plants a good glug of feed earlier so keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞🏻

I had my first chiropractic treatment since the beginning of March yesterday - it was a relief as I was beginning to get a few twinges.  

This was also my first experience of wearing a face mask: it was ok for an hour but felt very warm and rode up into my eye. I found the sensation of my breath on my face rather odd and unpleasant too.  Our PM set hares running on Friday about future Govt policy around face coverings here in England. Apparently, we all have to get back to our normal habits, stop working from home, use public transport again and go out to shop, eat and drink. One theory is that we will all feel confident about doing this if there is more mandatory use of face coverings (at the moment they are only compulsory on public transport and in hospitals) and that this will encourage more people to go out, spend and rescue the high street and therefore the economy. Unfortunately, I think a fair number of people will feel the opposite: I am certainly one of them and think it will be less likely that I will want to go out and more likely I will increase my shopping online. I completely get the arguments for them in areas where social distancing isn’t practical but I just don’t want to spend 3 or 4 hours wearing one on a hot day (as I am not great with hot weather anyway). 

On a more positive note, the tea room on our stretch of the Kennet & Avon canal re-opened yesterday - they have a spacious garden overlooking the towpath so my other half and I enjoyed our first experience of eating out since before the lockdown: toasties and tea followed by “Mr Whippy” ice cream with flakes (or “99s” if you are of a particular vintage!😉) The tea room is an independent business run by a lovely local couple so it was really nice to see them re-open again. 

I’ve posted a few times on this thread about what I have been growing in the garden, so thought I would share a couple of photos of my agapanthus which are now coming into flower. It’s looking to be a pretty good year for them, probably because I have had so much more time at home to care for them. 😊 

3503B36D-AD8D-4CB7-89C3-F571F02D9073.jpeg

6DB1A9F7-95FE-4A81-B149-0F641D345CD6.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kynance said:

This was also my first experience of wearing a face mask: it ... rode up into my eye.

I had the same problem. Maybe it’s just these masks, or my ears, or eyes. I found the solution was to twist the elastic at each side so that the elastic from the top of the mask went to the bottom of my ear, round the ear and from the top of my ear to the bottom of the mask. Sort of like a figure of eight, if that makes sense?