Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

6 hours ago, fionaanne1 said:

The supplies in the supermarkets seem to be almost back to normal, apart from loo rolls 🤷‍♀️ Why???

I just read an editorial on this. Folks *are* hoarding, but in addition, we're now being asked to use our own supply. Prior to this, people might have been at work, school, restaurants, etc. for a good part of the day, where we would have been using their facilities. That does stand to reason.

27 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

I just read an editorial on this. Folks *are* hoarding, but in addition, we're now being asked to use our own supply. Prior to this, people might have been at work, school, restaurants, etc. for a good part of the day, where we would have been using their facilities. That does stand to reason.

Thank you. 😁

I suppose there is some logic to that. In which case, it's the first bit of logic I have seen in this whole sorry mess.

Fiona 

I couldn't find the specifics on the shortage when I typed my last response. Here's the quote I was looking for:

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40% more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying.

• Like 1

That's good to hear, we didn't watch.

A nice weekend here, we had Sunday lunch of Roast Lamb and Yorkshire pudding delivered from the pub opposite.

I had a House Party chat with friends last night and then we watched Knives Out.

Back to working from home tomorrow.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I just spent the last few minutes watching the Queen's speech. I hope this doesn't cross the line into the realm of politics, but as an American, I thought Her Majesty's speech was "spot on" to borrow a phrase from the UK.

I also here in the US caught the Queens very moving speech. Being of the age that did not participate directly  but remembers the WW II events she was indeed spot on. Made one want to put on the helmet and begin patrolling the beaches. Yes we shall survive this issue and be able to move on. God Bless The Queen.

• Like 3

Hi, we were t have been on the Yokohama to Vancouver May 15. Was to have been the first time ocean cruise. Hopefully it will happen again! We live in Southern New Zealand and currently not driving around, essential travel only and staying home except for walks. When you meet people you stay 2 metres apart. Coping, because one has to. Regarding refunds on Cunard, has anyone received theirs yet. Travel agent has been working on it for well over a month but nothing. Trip in Japan prior to cruise, nothing yet either. Frustrating, I understand TAgents are having a bad time, but 6 weeks waiting already for the JTB and Cunard refunds. What about the rest of you?

I also watched the Queen's speech. Showing the photo of her and Margaret speaking to the children on England in 1940, was very touching. That was 80 years ago!  I just watched the space station go over my house. That is exciting to see. Keep safe.

• Like 1

We have now passed the three-week mark in social distance.

We have spent the week working from home and also doing some home improvement projects with supplies we already had here and a few that we had delivered to the house. We are not good at sitting still, either one of us, so having some goals/projects has helped our sanity. When times get tough in life, one of our personal survival skills we both use is getting busy. It helps us focus and feel like we are accomplishing something positive during this strange time.

We also continue to check in on our beloved family and friends... numerous calls... FaceTime... anything for connection in this strange time.

I have taken some online exercise classes during these three weeks... and that has been interesting... they are certainly not as good as real aerobic exercise classes... but they will do for now.

• Like 1

To all 

Reflecting on yesterday Sunday 5 April 2020 - walked as our daily exercise in beautiful sunshine after posting a letter, everybody is social distancing, nodding hello to everyone but not speaking. Watched the Queen speaking to the UK and World, then heard the PM Boris Johnson had been admitted to hospital. The last video he posted and on Thursday evening clapping for all essential workers, he looked ill. Get well  Boris. The resignation of the Scottish Chief Medical Officer Dr Calderwood, after she visited her holiday home 2x, disobeying her own advice to the Scottish people,  she was doing a great job until these 2 incidents. What a day and as I write this contribution on Monday morning I am listening to Coronavirus cast on BBC sound app reflecting on the days activities as it was recorded late Sunday evening. One of the presenters did not know what a burpee (lightened the conversation) was so this had to be explained, but the serious news was reflected on and probably a historical day (?).    

Prior to the lock down we had cancelled 4x Cunard cruises this year after the bad news concerning cruise ships, our health comes first and we wrote off the deposit money. We were disappointed as planned a TA and Iceland, Alaska to Japan, Canaries and Northern Lights. All fantastic itineraries and wonderful locations. I was going to say the TA and Iceland would probably be the best but actually Alaska to Japan two fascinating countries so probably both equal.  

Surprise, had an email from Cunard a few weeks ago saying our deposits were not lost but we could use them for cruising in 2021. Waited a few weeks as website and telephone lines were busy, looked through the brochure and chose a few cruises just in case our first choice was not available. Telephoned last week and spoke to a Cunard person working a home with a laptop and mobile phone (they had been sent home with equipment) and booked an Icelandic cruise next summer. Yippee.

We have a timeshare in the English Lake district and will probably loose the week this summer as it is now in hibernation with the staff furloughed, but we had booked a week in Scotland with a scenic train journey, the accommodation costs have been refunded and for the scenic train journey have received a credit +10% for a trip next year.  

Stay well everyone, let us hope holidays and cruising resumes eventually. 

• Like 1

Yes let us hope a vaccine is discovered, tested and given to us all soon so a restart to cruising can start to be discussed with some realism. I understand this thread but it does seem extremely odd talking about what we did yesterday and doing today when the website is called "Cruise Critic". Still I guess we are in unusual times. I dare anyone to start a Recipe Thread on here! Only joking, Keep smiling cruising will resume but meanwhile who knows

As I explained in the first post, the Cruise Critic hosts decided to start these threads on our respective boards so members had a place to stay in touch and share how things are where they live.

It was felt in this time of lock downs and no cruising a little off topic discussion wouldn't hurt.

• Like 2

I listened to the Queen's address after reading some comments here.  It was a beautiful speech and I was tremendously moved by it.

Today I have an order in for twist tie bags at the local Walmart, for pickup.  I will use the twist ties for nose bridges on homemade face masks.  I found a pattern that works well and is FAST, and I was thrilled when our local health service said they will accept them for donation.  So today I will sit at the sewing machine and do something useful for someone else.  Win-win!

• Like 1

Perhaps I should watch the Queen as it seems as if she did a good job.

Well done on the mask making @alc13, nice to hear from everyone.

Another day working from home for me, it was a sunny day with a bit of a chill in the wind. One advantage of working from home is lunch in the garden with Mr HH ! There were lots of birds singing and the lambs and ewes being rather noisy in the field behind our garden.

He's making lamb curry tonight, we braved the cake I'd made on Saturday, Nigella's Damp lemon and almond cake.

I haven't baked for ages but it was edible.

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Perhaps I should watch the Queen as it seems as if she did a good job.

Well done on the mask making @alc13, nice to hear from everyone.

Another day working from home for me, it was a sunny day with a bit of a chill in the wind. One advantage of working from home is lunch in the garden with Mr HH ! There were lots of birds singing and the lambs and ewes being rather noisy in the field behind our garden.

He's making lamb curry tonight, we braved the cake I'd made on Saturday, Nigella's Damp lemon and almond cake.

I haven't baked for ages but it was edible.

No connection between the noises in the field and the lamb curry, I hope...

• Haha 2