Cunard Cruisers - How are things where you are ?

Host Hattie

Hello to everyone again. 

Like many fellow contributors to this thread I watched the Queen’s broadcast on Sunday and thought its tone and content were perfect. I was rather moved by it. 

The salad crop seeds and strawberry plants I mentioned in my first post went into pots and baskets over the weekend and my agapanthus collection received its first feed of the year. 

My new car is a bit dusty now but it had an outing to Waitrose on Friday which continues  to be a really excellent, well managed experience during these difficult times. 

I am looking forward to the long weekend for the break from work - had lots of frustrations with Outlook constantly seizing up today and everything generally running slow. I’ve got a lovely dark chocolate & ginger Easter egg from Hotel Chocolat to open. 😃

As also mentioned in my first post, I’ve been watching Poldark again and am about to have a wonderful and escapist  hour before bed, watching the series 1 finale. ❤️

• Like 2

Good afternoon everyone. Just posting from sunny Queensland. We are on the coast and can see many of the cruise ships like Queen Elizabeth and Pacific Dawn coming and going into the port of Brisbane. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what they are doing.? Do they just have crew on board and do they just sail up and down the coast waiting on what to do next? Thanks again for any replies

Back at work to work for me and the sad news that a colleague had died from Coronavirus. It certainly brought it all home.

It's a lovely day so I'm enjoying some time in the garden. Our newish cat has discovered the fun of toes in sandals, it could be a painful Summer.

@Kynance I've got a Hotel Chocolat egg for Sunday as well.

Friday is a normal working day for me. I got quite excited this afternoon, my boss referred to me as a Senior Spares Engineer in an email ! When I enquired if that meant a promotion he told me that I was just the oldest !! 

Hope everyone is bearing up, stay safe and keep in touch.

As anyone can tell from my recent posts, I've been spending a lot of time lately keeping track of where each Cunard ship is, what they've been up to, and where/when they're headed next. That helps a bit to keep me in the cruising spirit, even when future cruises are suspended for the foreseeable future.

I've been hearing from my brother in Jordan via email reporting on what appears to be one of the strictest lock downs in the world going on right now. He's there doing research at an institute in Amman and is doing fine. He was looking to move on soon but will be staying put for the time being out of necessity.

• Like 1

Just a few things, 

managing to walk / jog in our garden to keep fit, the lawn is taking a hammering but it has been treated gently for 29.5 yrs whilst we were at work so now it has to perform now we are retired. The local supermarket (a large chain) went shopping with my wife entering the shop whilst I stayed in the car, made sure the shopping list was as concise as possible but bought 1 chocolate Easter egg for Sunday. I have taken part in / on a webinar and I am doing another tomorrow night on my hobby of photography - they are interesting as you can ask questions live and receive an answer live.   

I know we are not cruising at present but I would like to mention something that has been bothering me and have not discussed in public. On a Canary Island Cunard cruise last Nov / Dec 2019 I used a washer to wash a variety of male dark clothing, and at the end of the cycle placed 8 socks and 4 pants (knickers etc not long trousers for our USA friends) into the drier. Walked away and returned 40 mins later and had been placed on the floor still wet. Walked away disgusted - any advice what would do? I am no confrontational.  

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I got quite excited this afternoon, my boss referred to me as a Senior Spares Engineer in an email ! When I enquired if that meant a promotion he told me that I was just the oldest !! 

First, may I offer my condolences on the death of your colleague.

And much less importantly, Re this afternoon’s conversation: I’ve been there as well. When one of my workmates laughed at my toolkit because it was older than he was, and another helpfully pointed out that I had been working for the company for fifteen years before he was born, or when I was chatting-up a customer (in a purely professional manner obviously) and discovered that I once went out with her mother...! That was when I knew it was time to move on. But it hasn’t stopped me getting calls from management, “How do I ...?”, “ Where do we...?”

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I'd start a new thread "Tales from the Laundry Room", light the blue touch paper and stand well back !

Those places are legendary for their shenanigans.

Mrs. Bluemarble often asks me at bedtime what new things I've learned today. Often times I mention something I've learned from Cruise Critic. Well, today will be another one of those occasions since I can tell her I've learned a new expression "light the blue touch paper". I guess I haven't been totally out of it since most of the references to that expression I've found online say something along the lines of "primarily heard in UK." Wonderfully evocative expression by the way.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

"light the blue touch paper".

Don’t know what your online references say, but I know it from instructions on fireworks, “light the blue touch paper and retire.”

Clearly Hattie is quite a bit younger than me, “stand well back”, must have replaced “retire”, a long time ago.

2 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Don’t know what your online references say, but I know it from instructions on fireworks, “light the blue touch paper and retire.”

Clearly Hattie is quite a bit younger than me, “stand well back”, must have replaced “retire”, a long time ago.

My online resources do mention that the phrase's origin has to do with lighting fireworks. There are several versions for the conclusion of the phrase that I've found.

"... and retire (immediately)"

"... and stand clear (immediately)"

"... and stand well back"

"... and stand well away"

I think the best one I've found is this humorous example.

"... and run like hell"

• Haha 1

@Colin_Cameron & @bluemarble that's so funny, I had no idea it was a British only expression ! What are the instructions on the American fireworks ?!

The Senior thing was most bizarre as my more Senior colleague was only furloughed last week. I did suggest that the best way to reduce spending (the point of the email) was to furlough all of us, stopping anyone buying anything. It wasn't well received !

I'd love to be home for 2 months on 95% salary, without having to do any work.

27 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

... I had no idea it was a British only expression ! What are the instructions on the American fireworks ?! ...

I can't say I've actually seen too many fireworks here in the US. They were never legal in Iowa when I was growing up. We had to content ourselves with sparklers, caps, and snakes for our Independence Day celebrations. But some of the ones I have seen have rather terse lighting instructions such as "light fuse and get away".

Edited by bluemarble

22 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I thought that 2 weeks ago, but I am not so sure now. Thankfully, I have a garden to get some fresh air.

5 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

@Colin_Cameron & @bluemarble that's so funny, I had no idea it was a British only expression ! What are the instructions on the American fireworks ?!

The Senior thing was most bizarre as my more Senior colleague was only furloughed last week. I did suggest that the best way to reduce spending (the point of the email) was to furlough all of us, stopping anyone buying anything. It wasn't well received !

I believe it was during the Kennedy or maybe the Johnson administration that real fireworks of the explosive kind were banned from everyday use. Only harmless things that do not go boom can be purchased in the states. The big stuff is left to the professionals.

Host Hattie and Kynance, We are joining you both. Our hotel chocolat eggs arrived today! They were predicted to come about a week late, so very impressed they have arrived. And very pleased! 😆

I have been in the garden most of the afternoon with our water feature running because i am missing the sea so much and I hoped the sound of the water would help. Trouble is, all that running water sound means I have to keep popping back inside!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Hi all, 

Just found out that my QM2 E’bound T/A on August 21 was cancelled; so I’ve rebooked Jan T/A then to QV to FT Lauderdale, and fly back to NYC. Hope all will be calm by then. 

Thanks for update, good to be back on a cruise topic. I am on the second part of your journey(QV). Regardingthe QM2 August 21that has been cancelled. Was this cancelled by Cunard? Have you been emailed by Cunard? 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:26 PM, canoncruiser said:

Just found out that my QM2 E’bound T/A on August 21 was cancelled;

2 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Hi, No my TA told me that Cunard had cancelled the sailing-I did not hear from them directly. Stay well. 🙂

So I wonder why Cunard are still selling it on their website?

Another week behind us!  We had a spring snowstorm here last night; luckily we have power, but many people are still without.  As if they didn't have enough to deal with, right? 

I'm getting creative with recipes, freely substituting with what I have on hand.  Turns out I am not a natural born chef.  Mr ALC13 continues to eat without complaint, though.  Today I sent Mr ALC13s's mom some homemade cotton face masks so she can continue her daily walks without worrying about airborne virus (she is vulnerable for a couple of reasons).  Tomorrow morning my online yoga class, then some sewing for me.