Poll: How much will you cruise when cruising resumes?

How much will you cruise when cruising resumes?  

7,286 members have voted

1. 1. When you are again able, how often will you cruise in the next few years?

• I will cruise more than ever - I want to help the cruising industry get back on its feet
    • I will cruise about the same as always - Let's put this behind us quickly
    • I will cruise less than before - Some combo of health concerns, economic impact, and other forms of vaction will reduce my short term cruising
    • I won't cruise at all - Will take a few years (if ever) before things get back to normal and I consider cruising again.

I'm interested in seeing how the Coronavirus impacts anticipated cruising habits over the next few years once cruising resumes.  Cruise Critic is largely made up of experienced/avid cruisers who give the industry a stong base and will be important moving forward.  

At this point, I plan on taking all of the cruises I have booked in the next 24 months. Next one is August. If it gets cancelled, so be it. We will get onboard eventually.

mac_tlc

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The answer for me is - I just don't know.  As long as any cruise line requires the doctor's release, my husband will not be allowed to board a ship unless they stop requiring it or change the language.  Too bad, I love cruising, but this could mean the end of it for us.

• Like 13

Well I expect people to either not go anywhere this year or to book another cruise near the end of the year. In any case there wont be that many cruisers unfortunatly. The price policy will definitly change but I am not sure it will attract that many people.. at least this year. I hope that people will continue cruising. If not this year , next year for sure. I will do the same thing. Wait till next year and then go on the best cruise available 

1 hour ago, mek said:

The answer for me is - I just don't know.  As long as any cruise line requires the doctor's release, my husband will not be allowed to board a ship unless they stop requiring it or change the language.  Too bad, I love cruising, but this could mean the end of it for us.

I agree we try to cruise at least twice a year but I will be 70 in September I find this age restriction to be highly discriminatory anybody can have a condition but that doesn’t mean that condition should prevent you from cruising I hope the scrap that 70-year-old doctors note for him very soon not fairI agree we try to cruise at least twice a year but I will be 70 in September I find this age restriction to be highly discriminatory anybody can have a condition but that doesn’t mean that condition should prevent you from cruising I hope the scrap that 70-year-old doctors note for him very soon not fair

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, watson50 said:

I agree we try to cruise at least twice a year but I will be 70 in September I find this age restriction to be highly discriminatory anybody can have a condition but that doesn’t mean that condition should prevent you from cruising I hope the scrap that 70-year-old doctors note for him very soon not fairI agree we try to cruise at least twice a year but I will be 70 in September I find this age restriction to be highly discriminatory anybody can have a condition but that doesn’t mean that condition should prevent you from cruising I hope the scrap that 70-year-old doctors note for him very soon not fair

I agree with you that the 70 year old required doctors release is discriminatory. I am hoping this will go away if the Corona virus runs its course, if it ever does without a vaccine.  I can see how they don't want me now and I also don't want to go on a cruise until this virus situation is safe again. I was 70 in February and wonder when my next cruise will be and wonder how hard the cruise line will continue to make it for me to board. 

• Like 6

I would like to cruise once a year but financially, I may have to reduce it.

I have 2 cruises set up for August and Dec but may need to cancel depending on how long this takes to settle.

Last year we did 4 cruises.  In 2020 we did 20 or 21 days in january with b2bs and had 5 more cruises booked for this year.  One of those 5 was to leave this coming friday.   

We recently booked a jan 2021 cruise and hope to turn that in a b2b as long as we can financially afford.  We are both working from home but running into some obstacles that may not allow business to continue as is.  

It would not surprise me to see the 70+ doctor note requirement stay if they can get away with it. It has to be costly to turn a ship around for alpha alpha alpha and lose time and money being late, gas, etc. I'm sure they will run it by the lawyers. It would be a shame.

Also, airlines are having trouble and canceling flights. It could cause someone to miss a cruise. The virus itself will be excluded from insurance policies, making it difficult as well. This could take some time to recover.

Will resume regular cruise schedules.  But would love it if they changed practices to:

- Improved safeguards in identifying sick passengers before letting them on the ship

- Roll "Cruise Insurance" fee into the ticket.  Maybe get up to 60 percent back up to embarkation day.  Should not cost more than $2-$4 more dollars.  This gives passengers incentive to NOT try and sneak in when they know they are sick.  If they want 100 percent back, they can throw in a few more bucks to get that.

- Maintain quarantine area on ship for passengers/crew suddenly ill.

What else can be done.  

Could there ever be "touch-less buffet" technology?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mek said:

That would be the only thing holding me back from cruising.  My doctor looked at the letter and said she would not sign it.  Hopefully this letter will not be required when we begin cruising again.   

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Will resume regular cruise schedules.  But would love it if they changed practices to:

- Improved safeguards in identifying sick passengers before letting them on the ship

- Roll "Cruise Insurance" fee into the ticket.  Maybe get up to 60 percent back up to embarkation day.  Should not cost more than $2-$4 more dollars.  This gives passengers incentive to NOT try and sneak in when they know they are sick.  If they want 100 percent back, they can throw in a few more bucks to get that.

- Maintain quarantine area on ship for passengers/crew suddenly ill.

What else can be done.  

Could there ever be "touch-less buffet" technology?

You are worrying too much. You have a much greater chance getting sick on land vs a ship. Thats factual. Do all the googling you want. Why should someone who has a cold not be allowed to board. People look forward all year to a vacation and then if they have a slight cold they cant board? Come on.  Lets not be ridiculous. Time for you to buy your own yacht. Worry wart. People with uncompromised immune systems dont need to be afraid of illness.   Craziness

Interesting results so far.  Roughly 77% plan to cruise the same amount or more, and 23% will cruise less or none.  I guess that's about what I'd expect given that many here are avid cruisers.  For the record, we cruise 1-2 times a year and plan to continue to do so.  Not very optimistic for our Explorer Greek Isles cruise in late August but hoping that our friends cruise on Harmony next January is back to normal.  And if Royal would just release the Ovation TP after the 2021 Alaska season...