Cruise Critic Community
rattanchair

From "booked" to "I want my money back"

Many 'seasoned' cruisers, reflecting upon years of cruising, are consoled by the "facts of life".  We will be back, because there is no other more relaxing way to get away before entering a nursing home. That there are some lines more accommodating to seniors than others. That 'smart' cruisers stay away from buffets. That the CDC (Center for Disease Control) does inspections of cruise ships and those with 85 or lower should be avoided until they improve. That as tests become more abundant, passengers and crew should be tested every week; crew quarantined and passengers screened and not allowed to board.

Perhaps some 'seasoned' cruisers would like to add to this list.  We will be back and look forward to using our FCC (future cruise credit). We are hoping the cruise lines change from an attitude of "business as usual" to "all hands on alert".

The most dangerous thing about cruising isn't the confined space of the ships, but the behavior of the passengers.  No matter what policies are put in place, and no matter what standards they announce, these new procedures are only as effective as the people following them.

People are ignorant, careless, and think they are invincible.  You put a policy in place, there are going to be a significant portion of the population that just simply ignores it.  The majority?  No, and probably not even close to the majority, but as we are seeing with COVID-19, it doesn't take a majority for it to become a MAJOR problem, especially when you are talking about diseases.  Unfortunately, a lot of these same people end up on cruises where they don't wash their hands, they don't use hand sanitizer they don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze, etc.  Heck, even in a time where there is legitimately a global emergency over a deadly pandemic, there are daily reports over huge crowds gathering on beaches, parks, parties, etc.

The thing is, unless your goal is to isolate yourself from society for the rest of your life, you will always have to deal with these people.  Be it in the office, in public spaces, on vacation, in public transportation, its inevitable.  So if your goal is to try and only stick to those kinds of events, trips, and vacations where a concern over cleanliness is a major priority, there aren't many options available.  Not because of the cruise lines, resorts, parks, airlines, etc, but because of the other people who also use them.

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

The most dangerous thing about cruising isn't the confined space of the ships, but the behavior of the passengers.  No matter what policies are put in place, and no matter what standards they announce, these new procedures are only as effective as the people following them.

People are ignorant, careless, and think they are invincible.  You put a policy in place, there are going to be a significant portion of the population that just simply ignores it.  The majority?  No, and probably not even close to the majority, but as we are seeing with COVID-19, it doesn't take a majority for it to become a MAJOR problem, especially when you are talking about diseases.  Unfortunately, a lot of these same people end up on cruises where they don't wash their hands, they don't use hand sanitizer they don't cover their mouth when they cough or sneeze, etc.  Heck, even in a time where there is legitimately a global emergency over a deadly pandemic, there are daily reports over huge crowds gathering on beaches, parks, parties, etc.

The thing is, unless your goal is to isolate yourself from society for the rest of your life, you will always have to deal with these people.  Be it in the office, in public spaces, on vacation, in public transportation, its inevitable.  So if your goal is to try and only stick to those kinds of events, trips, and vacations where a concern over cleanliness is a major priority, there aren't many options available.  Not because of the cruise lines, resorts, parks, airlines, etc, but because of the other people who also use them.

You nailed it! I left my last cruise in Feb with disgust over some of my fellow passenger 's poor  personal hygiene. I can avoid these types much more effectively on a land trip, but then, there is the airplane issue.

1 hour ago, Beardface said:

So if your goal is to try and only stick to those kinds of events, trips, and vacations where a concern over cleanliness is a major priority, there aren't many options available.  Not because of the cruise lines, resorts, parks, airlines, etc, but because of the other people who also use them.

Dear Bf,  Your points are spot-on and well taken. But four to six times a year this misanthrope and his DW, germophobe , do take trips "on the wild side" of cruising and have considered any cruise a success should we not get sick while on board or 5 days later. We book suites in the YC, keep to ourselves by not using the elevators and spend our time going from dining room, table for two ever since past tablemates coughed in my plate, to cabana, to cabin balcony back to dining room. We are very intrigued by a recent report that MSC will have sailings from S. Florida to "No-where". My recent FCC will probably go to something like this being on board with like-minded enthusiasts. Otherwise we will be spending our limited "time" (lives) vacationing in our garage letting 'another terrorist" bug scare us to death prematurely.

Thank you. You are one of the very few "assets" of realistic thinking on the CC boards.

IMO: What is going to hurt the cruise industry  long term is density.  I agree passengers are an issue. I'm a cruise lover and have been sailing since 1987. However; what all above posts fail to mention is density. Simply put, Cruise ships have a much less space ratio than other forms of vacationing. 

Example: We are also avid hikers. I think that nature focused trips may take on more popularity once the Coronavirus is managed. We rented a cabin in the middle of glacier national park a few years ago and were lucky to come across 10 people a day. Same for our trip to Rainier, Banff, Robson, Olympic, etc.. Even All Inclusive resorts have a more favorable density to space ratio when compared to cruising. I suspect those might take on more popularity as well.

I'm not one that thinks cruising has seen the end of it's time, but I don't see the industry bouncing back as rapidly as others. I also suspect that the industry itself may make some serious changes to procedures in it's attempt to rebound. Not sure what those changes will look like, but I sincerely hope they are enough to erase the negative stigma cruising has acquired.  

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

IMO: What is going to hurt the cruise industry  long term is density.  I agree passengers are an issue. I'm a cruise lover and have been sailing since 1987. However; what all above posts fail to mention is density. Simply put, Cruise ships have a much less space ratio than other forms of vacationing. 

Example: We are also avid hikers. I think that nature focused trips may take on more popularity once the Coronavirus is managed. We rented a cabin in the middle of glacier national park a few years ago and were lucky to come across 10 people a day. Same for our trip to Rainier, Banff, Robson, Olympic, etc.. Even All Inclusive resorts have a more favorable density to space ratio when compared to cruising. I suspect those might take on more popularity as well.

I'm not one that thinks cruising has seen the end of it's time, but I don't see the industry bouncing back as rapidly as others. I also suspect that the industry itself may make some serious changes to procedures in it's attempt to rebound. Not sure what those changes will look like, but I sincerely hope they are enough to erase the negative stigma cruising has acquired.  

I'm not too sure about nature trips catching on. I spend a significant amount of time in Alaska, summer and winter. I don' t think cruisers could handle what I have been subjected to. From visiting an outhouse at -50 degrees F.( with a steel toilet seat and no door),being attacked by a grisly, being eaten by mosquitoes and chiggers, and not taking a bath or shower for 3+ days. This is nowhere near the YC!!!!!

lol........ I wasn't exactly suggesting turning everyone into Crocodile Dundee or Daniel Boone. There are some very nice accommodations in our National/State Parks where you don't give up any creature comforts at all.  But, for the average  outdoor enthusiast like my DH and I, we will likely be taking another hiking vacation this summer and putting cruising on the back burner. With so many choices, the cruise business is going to have to fight long and hard to regain it's share.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, rattanchair said:

Dear Bf,  Your points are spot-on and well taken. But four to six times a year this misanthrope and his DW, germophobe , do take trips "on the wild side" of cruising and have considered any cruise a success should we not get sick while on board or 5 days later. We book suites in the YC, keep to ourselves by not using the elevators and spend our time going from dining room, table for two ever since past tablemates coughed in my plate, to cabana, to cabin balcony back to dining room. We are very intrigued by a recent report that MSC will have sailings from S. Florida to "No-where". My recent FCC will probably go to something like this being on board with like-minded enthusiasts. Otherwise we will be spending our limited "time" (lives) vacationing in our garage letting 'another terrorist" bug scare us to death prematurely.

Thank you. You are one of the very few "assets" of realistic thinking on the CC boards.

I saw a post on social media from a spokesman of another line--asking about interest in "cruise to nowhere" things

and interest

In the past it wasn't possible because of maritime law right? Or trade law? 

So I believe there would have to be changes in the US law for any "cruise to nowhere" 

Does anyone know what that is?

We are looking fwd to sailing again.  We have a port intensive in late 2020 on the books- fingers crossed

We have a TP-Asia sailing set for 2021... and have plenty of time to make choices about that

There have been other destinations we wanted to book--- and will look for deals/opportunities.

We had a sailing booked for 2 yrs--set to sail in August--we have sadly cancelled that

Changes I'd like to see

--- staff serving at buffets-- I noted a spokesperson for another cruiseline say that they saw DRAMATIC drops in food waste when the pax were served by staff in the main buffet. 

---temperature screening for all crew and pax upon embarkation.... and for lengthy sailings perhaps midway?

---temp/health screening for crew before embarkation

---better personal hygiene of pax--- (If we can smell your BO from across the YC pool deck-- you two really need a shower! It was disgusting!)

---STRICT adherence to pool/hottub rules (shower before entering--and NO children in swim diapers etc)

We were pleasantly surprised at how immaculate the MSC Meriviglia was in Feb. They were on top of things

Edited by Fogfog

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

saw a post on social media from a spokesman of another line--asking about interest in "cruise to nowhere" things

and interest

In the past it wasn't possible because of maritime law right? Or trade law? 

So I believe there would have to be changes in the US law for any "cruise to nowhere" 

Does anyone know what that is?

Customs says 'cruises to nowhere' were never legal

“Due to recent changes in how ships are cleared into and out of the United States by U.S. officials, certain short-duration cruises without a foreign port of call are subject to itinerary changes beginning in 2016,” Carnival said in a statement. “Unfortunately, this means that we will not be permitted to operate cruises-to-nowhere.”

Norwegian Cruise Line’s statement said basically the same thing, adding that three two-day cruises on the Norwegian Breakaway in early 2016 “were affected by this change and will be cancelled, with guests receiving a refund.”

But according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the federal agency that controls the entry and exit of foreign nationals to the U.S., it is simply enforcing longstanding rules.

The majority of cruise ship crew are foreign nationals, and many hold D-1 visas, making them eligible to, in the words of a CBP statement, “serve as a crew member on a vessel only if the crew member ‘intends to land [in the U.S.] temporarily and solely in the pursuit of his calling as a crewman and to depart from the United States with the vessel.’”

CBP said it “has long explained that ‘cruises to nowhere’ do not ‘depart’ [the U.S.] because they do not land in a foreign port or territory. Therefore, D-1 visa holders are not eligible to serve as crew members aboard ‘cruises to nowhere,’ and such cruises must be staffed by U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents authorized to work in the United States.”

Edited by Beardface

But a stop in ocean cay will meet the Jones Act requirements. Those ines with a private island are well poised to capture both cruise and A/I consumers. 

4 hours ago, Fogfog said:

hanges I'd like to see

--- staff serving at buffets-- I noted a spokesperson for another cruiseline say that they saw DRAMATIC drops in food waste when the pax were served by staff in the main buffet. 

---temperature screening for all crew and pax upon embarkation.... and for lengthy sailings perhaps midway?

---temp/health screening for crew before embarkation

---better personal hygiene of pax--- (If we can smell your BO from across the YC pool deck-- you two really need a shower! It was disgusting!)

---STRICT adherence to pool/hottub rules (shower before entering--and NO children in swim diapers etc)

Dear Ff,  'All our wishes, to MSC ears"!