Fincantieri suspends operations

DCCruiser57

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Italy announced that they are extending their lock down until May 3rd.  I seriously doubt that the Moon will be sailing August 6th with the shipyard closed for almost 2 months and maybe longer.

Will these Europe closings affect the Silver Origin, too?  Understand it is being built to sail the Galápagos by the Dutch shipbuilder Shipyard De Hoop.  Due to commence there on July 18, 2020??!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 239,042

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The Origin is being built in the Netherlands.  Here's a screen capture from the shipyard on 3/24.  Seems like a lot of work to do, plus sailing from Rotterdam to the Galapagos, to make the first sailing on 7/18.  I suspect the sailing time will take 25 to 30 days, maybe more.  I expect a new round of announcements this coming week, especially given the CDC guidance about cruising. 

Image may contain: water and outdoor, possible text that says 'SILVER DEPARTS FROM YARD FOR FINAL STAGES IN SCHIEDAM Lobith, 24/03/2020- At 10AM today the Silver Origin, De Hoop's yard number 489, has departed for her transport to Schiedam. Here the final works shall take place. This includes the assembly of the top deck modules which are pre-build and form deck 7 and 8. These sections can only be placed after the vessel has passed several inland bridges. The Silver Origin is scheduled sea trials on the 16th April 2020 and delivery shortly thereafter.'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fincantieri has been given the OK to slowly reopen this coming Monday, April 27th, with the expectation of of being back to full operation by the end of May or the start of June.  Here's a link to the article in Defense News,

https://www.defensenews.com/coronavirus/2020/04/22/fincantieri-reopens-shipyards-in-italy/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Socialflow+DFN&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR29JQSrqLDrFInaicdU5dUsXKiIT0rrRuw7-cUnELUWSahcudZiEaIZwkY

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DCCruiser57 said:

Fincantieri has been given the OK to slowly reopen this coming Monday, April 27th...

Oops... I just posted the same link in our Moon Roll Call topic.  Sorry.  I should have checked here first.

I took it they reopened this past Mon., Apr 20, though.  Regardless of Apr 20 or 27, will be glad to hear / read the final delivery date Fincantieri gives to SS.  As weird as this may sound, I’m more worried about our voyage (#10 and #11) becoming closer to #1, #2, or #3 than I am about cruising with Covid-19 floating around the world without a vaccine.  We have no desire to sail on one of the first voyages of a new ship.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:31 PM, DCCruiser57 said:

Italy announced that they are extending their lock down until May 3rd.  I seriously doubt that the Moon will be sailing August 6th with the shipyard closed for almost 2 months and maybe longer.

I heard not that long ago that Italy as a country will not let anyone in till the end of the year the least. I am not sure how the cruisers will be affacted but apparently we wont be able to embark the italian shore this year. My only hope is visit the near by islands or another country like Greece or something. Apparently they dont have suchstrict regulations at the moment

On 4/23/2020 at 3:29 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Oops... I just posted the same link in our Moon Roll Call topic.  Sorry.  I should have checked here first.

I took it they reopened this past Mon., Apr 20, though.  Regardless of Apr 20 or 27, will be glad to hear / read the final delivery date Fincantieri gives to SS.  As weird as this may sound, I’m more worried about our voyage (#10 and #11) becoming closer to #1, #2, or #3 than I am about cruising with Covid-19 floating around the world without a vaccine.  We have no desire to sail on one of the first voyages of a new ship.

Well mine would be #3 or 4 so I was kinda hoping you'd get them knocked into shape by the time I boarded! lol

This is Silver Moon as she was when I visited Ancona last September.

IMG_20191004_111010.jpg

• Like 3