Spain "closed" arrivals to ports and via air

acwmom

I saw this today, and was published on 3/22. The Pursuit's April 18th sailing falls within this 30 day shutdown, and the April 26th cruise is just beyond. I am due to sail on the 26th. My flight (booked through ChoiceAir) to Spain no longer exists, it now terminates in Newark.

I am hopeful Azamara goes ahead and proactively cancels, as we are now unable to get to the ship.

https://www.catalannews.com/society-science/item/all-nonessential-flights-to-be-suspended-for-30-days

I am on the same cruise as you. Amazingly British Airways are still selling tickets for the flight to Barcelona on April 25 when I had planned to travel.

Azamara and RCCL are clearly loathe to address the fact, but it is looking increasingly likely that there will be NO European cruise season in 2020.

i am becoming very frustrated that Azamara are not cancelling Med cruises in April, May and June at least.

Edited by Spursgirl
  • Like 3

Azamara is a very small line with just 3 ships carrying a total of 2100 passengers. How big can their staff be? They still have some ships (including Pursuit) that have not yet arrived in ports where they can disembark passengers. And those passengers require new flight arrangements home during a time of greatly reduced flights. Plus Azamara is also dealing with all the cancelled cruises until April 11. So, I am quite certain that their small staff is very, very busy right now. All we have to do is wait. Azamara will not run a cruise when it is impossible to do so.  

• Like 3

I have friends on Maasdam heading across the Pacific to California arriving there Friday and I'm concerned they won't make it back before all opportunities close. Pursuit Is heading back to Miami arriving the 30th and many guests are going to face the same thing.

To all those impatient for news of their upcoming cruises I think Azamara have their hands well and truly full at the moment with much more pressing things and a patience pill is required. 

Phil 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, uktog said:

And we have just been put under very restrictive measures which would include no driving to airports for three weeks

Is this being enforced?   My daughter had a car pick her up in central London, drove to Heathrow, and is right now on a flight back to the US.   

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

Is this being enforced?   My daughter had a car pick her up in central London, drove to Heathrow, and is right now on a flight back to the US.   

I think this applies to UK residents, not necessarily to residents of other countries who are going home.

Bottom line is that Azamara’s key priority is their current and prospective passengers - they need to communicate in a clear and timely fashion -

no ifs or buts. They are a hotel on the sea - nothing more and nothing less.

And certainly not in the same league as having to manage the crisis Governments, health agencies and emergency services more generally are now facing. 

Interesting and a bit more sensible but I would not be too confident that everything will be ok in Europe on 11 May for citizens. Even if some restrictions are lifted you may still find restrictions on travel and indeed there may be specific restrictions on cruise ships. Note that Ryanair have said they do not expect to fly in April or May.  

Bottom line if someone has a booking then not much can be done as there is a lot to play out. And having being in lock down for two weeks already I would be very grateful if this crisis is over by 11 May. 

But I certainly would not be making a new booking at this point in time. 

• Like 1

And I would want to feel a little more certain about the Low  probability of a guest bringing the virus onboard. Whilst countries for whatever reasons are adopting different control and mitigation methods it leads to a much higher risk. 
This isn’t ordinary flu ask anyone who has had it or knows someone who has had it. 

15 hours ago, Pavovsky said:

Bottom line is that Azamara’s key priority is their current and prospective passengers - they need to communicate in a clear and timely fashion -

no ifs or buts. They are a hotel on the sea - nothing more and nothing less.

And certainly not in the same league as having to manage the crisis Governments, health agencies and emergency services more generally are now facing. 

One thing Azamara have not done, is communicate effectively. The same applies to the whole RCCL group.

Take a look at the communication from Levi Strauss.

fullsizeoutput_872.jpeg

1 minute ago, norn iron said:

One thing Azamara have not done, is communicate effectively. The same applies to the whole RCCL group.

Take a look at the communication from Levi Strauss.

fullsizeoutput_872.jpeg

Spot on, there is going to be SO much new teaching materials in the coming years - I would also add the simpler the communication the more effective it is and dump the "buzz words"  - what is an abundance of caution?  I think I am just being careful????

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, uktog said:

And I would want to feel a little more certain about the Low  probability of a guest bringing the virus onboard. Whilst countries for whatever reasons are adopting different control and mitigation methods it leads to a much higher risk. 
This isn’t ordinary flu ask anyone who has had it or knows someone who has had it. 

You’re right - my son-in-law is just starting to recover after 11 days of feeling very Ill indeed, including a night in hospital with oxygen support. He says he’s never felt so ill in his life - and he is (or was) a very fit chap in his 40s.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You’re right - my son-in-law is just starting to recover after 11 days of feeling very Ill indeed, including a night in hospital with oxygen support. He says he’s never felt so ill in his life - and he is (or was) a very fit chap in his 40s.

I hope he is on the road to recovery, I do feel some people do not realise how serious this is.   My fear we might be allowed back travelling and someone from a country that hasn't managed the virus so carefully comes onto a cruise or infects someone en route to a cruise

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, uktog said:

I hope he is on the road to recovery, I do feel some people do not realise how serious this is.   My fear we might be allowed back travelling and someone from a country that hasn't managed the virus so carefully comes onto a cruise or infects someone en route to a cruise

He is just starting to improve. I agree with you, very worrying.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I hope he recovers soon Denise. I found out yesterday that my neighbour has it (I sent him a message just to make sure he and his family were ok as I hadn’t seen him). Same story.  In his 40s and fit, but ended up in hospital having his lungs cleaned out.  He too said he’d never felt so ill.

Phil

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I hope he recovers soon Denise. I found out yesterday that my neighbour has it (I sent him a message just to make sure he and his family were ok as I hadn’t seen him). Same story.  In his 40s and fit, but ended up in hospital having his lungs cleaned out.  He too said he’d never felt so ill.

Phil

Yes, it certainly seems to be very nasty for many of those who get symptoms. I hope your neighbour makes a good recovery too.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

He is just starting to improve. I agree with you, very worrying.

So glad there's improvement, I'm hoping that you and his immediate family are okay and dealing with the stresses. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for them. Thanks for the updates.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Sorry to hear about your son-in-law Denise. Hopefully a speedy recovery ensues. I trust you and Nick are safe and well.

• Like 1