deposist refunds before final payment

Bob7

How long is it taking for you to get your deposit refunded (before final payment)?  Our final payment is June but with all the hassle reports we're thinking of bailing now before MSC stops deposit refunds and gives FCCs instead.  Our USA TA would be submitting it.  Thx.

Booked and cancelled directly with MSC USA.  I cancelled one on February 27th, credit went to my card on March 3rd.  Cancelled two more last week and will report back when they show up on card.

• Like 1

I've tried to cancel three bookings since 3/15.  I was told I would get an email to confirm but only got it for 1 one them.  I've called a few times and each time I get a different answer.  To MSC's credit they are answering the calls relative quickly.  Our final payment date was April 4th.  I just want my deposit back but have not seen it yet.  Hopefully it comes soon

An update, so we sent the online request form to cancel the Sept cruise (big online USA TA that rhymes with Snooze.com), didn't get any receipt confirmation after a day, called and they said they were working thru all the cancellations in order of cruise date, and right now they were working on May departure dates.  So it will be weeks before it's cancelled and the deposit refunded.  They will not be charging any fee to cancel any cruise before final payment date.

I had booked three cabins on the Armonia for 7-19-2020 sailing with final payment due 4-20-2020.  I called a couple of weeks ago and was advised to just wait a few days to see what developed.  I felt that the agent was being somewhat patronizing, wanting to kick the can down the road rather than deal with my bookings.  Nice enough, but not helpful.

I called again today and was able to cancel all three cabins with full refund on each one.  It took about 10-15 minutes (with no time spent on hold before reaching an agent).  I was told that it would be at least 30 days before I could expect refund back to my credit card.  Agent was very nice and helpful.  

I had sent an e-mail last week to cancel a Jan Carib Mera cruise. I surprisingly received no response whatsoever so called yesterday.

Was surprised to immediately get a helpful and friendly MSC rep who told me the credit will appear in approx. 30 business days. 

This is virtually identical to the timing given to me for a big box HAL cancellation this week.

The agent said she was working from home but only getting 16-18 hours of work a week which surprised me a bit based on everything going on.  

I had mixed feelings cancelling this Meraviglia YC cruise but with a current HAL promotion will exchange for a back to back with balcony, drink package, grats,and full cruise rental of a poolside cabana for a net 500-600  dollars more which was for us a no brainer. Healthy and safe cruising.

An update, cancelled the Sept cruise with the TA March 24, TA said they were working on calling in cancellations for May cruises and it would be some time before they got to Sept cruises.  Got an email from them that they cancelled the Sept cruise on April 3, and it would be 6-10 days before the refunded deposit would show up at our credit card company.  I'm surprised the TA got it done that quickly.  Will post when the refund arrives.

Hi I cancelled 2 upcoming cruises before payment due on 3/17. Have not received my original depost back,( was told 6-10 business days) also never

received email notifying me that I cancelled. Does show cruises cancelled when I sign in to MSC. I will wait 30 days (4/17) then

try again. Have requested full refund for 4/12 cruise, but wont hold my breath.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, Até said:

Booked and cancelled directly with MSC USA.  I cancelled one on February 27th, credit went to my card on March 3rd.  Cancelled two more last week and will report back when they show up on card.

I called a few days later and was told these refunds were "processing", but eventually was told it could be up to 30 days.  Called again a few days ago and was told at least 60 days.  I filed two disputes with my credit card today, 36 days after I cancelled,  based on their delay of promised refunds.  Visa rules I had read seemed to say they had 20 days to respond but I was told MSC have ten days to respond.  I might have considered waiting longer if I had heard of absolutely anyone getting a refund to their card since mid March.  Sadly, more and more it looks like none are being processed and at best it's a delay game.

Because these delays and other factors have caused me disturbing feelings of a larger deception (long story) I've cancelled several more cruises over the last week or so.  I insisted they verbally affirm the money would be refunded to my credit card.  They initially were asking for 30 days but now today were asking for "at least 60 days".  I no longer feel that is reasonable and am only willing to wait several weeks, with even that wait based on hearing others here have started receiving their refunds that all seem stuck in "processing".

As I posted elsewhere, I cancelled my June 2020 cruise within my window to cancel, on March 2.  Was told "2 billing cycles".  I am waiting on my refund to book a new cruise for summer 2021.  Called on Monday, 7 weeks after I cancelled (keep in mind, I paid in full last summer, so MSC has had my money for 10 months).  Told 10 more days.   We will see.  I have seen ONE post of someone who actually got refunded their money.  Don't know what MSC is doing with everyone's money.

What is the best way to request a refund?  According to their contract terms "Cancellation of the Booking must be requested in writing (registered letter, email or fax) from the Passenger or Passenger’s Travel Agent and received by the Company"

Or should I call.

Thanks for your input

25 minutes ago, ms sjsky said:

What is the best way to request a refund?

Call their US booking line 1-877-665-5655.  You can press 0 to skip the COVID speech.  After waiting past the "If you are a travel agent please  press 1" it will then go to a menu of choices.  Press 1 for new/existing bookings, then 1 again for new bookings because that goes directly to an agent now.  You can give them your booking number, personal ID verification and they will cancel it for you.  Request a confirmation email and be sure to say you expect the money back on your credit card.  They will probably state it will take at least 60 days.

• Like 1

While I know they are cash strapped I think the cruise lines are creating more concerns for their passengers when they delay

refunds of deposits.  First of all I am sure some people can really use this money and any delay is painful. Even if that is not the case one is mindful of refund delays and as these 'extend' , potential bankruptcies may come into play. We are waiting for two deposit refunds of 1000 total which are well past 30 days, We have another 800 dollars down for a Jan. cruise Our initial plan was to keep this Jan. cruise option open until final payment in October but based on  current refund delays and worsening financial conditions we are thinking better to get in line for these refunds (which will take 60 days most likely) and wait to book at some future date when and if normalcy arrives. With potential bankruptcies looming and even with not a lot of money involved, the 'risk reward' is not there for us.

If the cruise lines were more direct regarding stringent refunds of deposits (maybe an escrow or protected system) and offering more aggressive pricing for future cruises I believe more people may be open to 'throwing the dice' in booking future cruising.

Sorry to be so negative as we really were of the mind cruising could be back to normal early next year but I guess we are now of the mind to let things play out without commitment and if we lose a year or two of cruising so be it.

I requested a refund on 3/15/20 for my cancelled cruise of 3/22/20.  No refund yet although I got a notice saying it could take up to 60 days.  It has been 40 days.  I have contacted them a few times (1 phone call and a few e-mails) with no commitment from them and only advised to "be patient".

Will they refund or not is the question.  No time problem accepting payments.  In my humble opinion 40 days is long enough.

It looks like Gator and Ate are going to be the first to hit the 60 waiting period for their refunds, Gator I guess your magic date is May 1, and Ate yours would be the first week of May.  Rob you would be next about May 14.  Moments of truth.

In post #14 stated I filed a dispute with my credit card based on that I was told 7 to 10 days for the refund.  The refund was in my account the next day.  I checked with my bank and it was not a provisional credit from them, but was a refund from MSC.  It is unlikely MSC had seen the dispute.  There remains some very confusing details that I will not discuss here.  The refund was most likely prompted by phone calls or possibly the emails I have made, not necessarily the cc dispute.

Edited by Até

On 4/24/2020 at 12:16 AM, GatorMomInNC said:

As I posted elsewhere, I cancelled my June 2020 cruise within my window to cancel, on March 2.  Was told "2 billing cycles".  I am waiting on my refund to book a new cruise for summer 2021.  Called on Monday, 7 weeks after I cancelled (keep in mind, I paid in full last summer, so MSC has had my money for 10 months).  Told 10 more days.   We will see.  I have seen ONE post of someone who actually got refunded their money.  Don't know what MSC is doing with everyone's money.

GatorMom you are the point of the sword, the earliest person to request a refund (March 2) after the virus hit.  Come over to the thread called "Americans, how long until you received your refund?".  If refunds after the 60 day wait period happen, you'll be the first among us to get it, around May 2.  Let us know the good news, and that you are doing the happy dance and buying us all a beer with all that refund money.

Edited by Bob7

3 hours ago, Bob7 said:

GatorMom you are the point of the sword, the earliest person to request a refund (March 2) after the virus hit.  Come over to the thread called "Americans, how long until you received your refund?".  If refunds after the 60 day wait period happen, you'll be the first among us to get it, around May 2.  Let us know the good news, and that you are doing the happy dance and buying us all a beer with all that refund money.

Will do.  Today is 10 days since my TA told me that MSC said I should get refund in 10 days (after initially saying 2 billing cycles over 8 weeks ago).   I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant 10 business days and I will call on Monday if I have not received it.  If I do receive I will post here and on the other refund thread.