Long time before cruising resumes

drkitkat123

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Yeah- it's a conundrum.

Mechanical failure is definitely the fault of the cruise line - pandemic may be called a force of nature (like a hurricane or a war) beyond their control?

Just now, Paulchili said:

Mechanical failure is definitely the fault of the cruise line - pandemic may be called a force of nature (like a hurricane or a war) beyond their control?

I agree. And travel insurance companies are not in any better shape.

Read the full Oceania T&Cs.

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf 

If O cancels a cruise (for whatever reason), they will offer you a 100% refund of the cruise fare paid. 

Of course, as you're seeing now, O is also providing the option of a higher percent FCC. Just a month ago, for those of us on Nautica and Insignia, it was refund plus FCC in varying proportions depending on itinerary/dates.

3 hours ago, edgee said:

In the short run they will be shut out but when/if they appear to actually be on verge of bankruptcy, political pressure will yield them some financial help, IMHO. 

I have a few businesses that I boycott for ethical reasons. I would add any cruise company that accepting money from the US.

32 minutes ago, clo said:

I have a few businesses that I boycott for ethical reasons. I would add any cruise company that accepting money from the US.

Looks like the cruise lines definitely will not be eligible for bailout $$$. Good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Can you please point out the section where it says so?

Am I the only one who reads the fine print?https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf 

Pg 2 Carrier's Discretion #4:

a. If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do you have a link for non-subscribers or else the gist of the article?

11 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Do you have a link for non-subscribers or else the gist of the article?

Mea culpa, WaPo 🙂

Like hotels and airlines, cruise companies have seen their business decimated by the coronavirus pandemic and economic shutdowns.

But unlike those industries, major cruise operators don’t locate their headquarters in the United States, so they will not have access to $500 billion in aid for large employers in the massive stimulus bill, the industry’s trade group said Thursday.

Language in the 883-page bill passed by the Senate says that to be eligible for aid from the $500 billion fund, companies must be certified as “created or organized in the United States or under the laws of the United States” as well as having “significant operations in” and a majority of employees based in the United States.

Major cruise companies have located their primary headquarters overseas, which for years has allowed them to pay almost no federal taxes and avoid some U.S. regulations. To staff their ships, the companies rely heavily on foreign workers from the Philippines, Indonesia and India.

AD

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Am I the only one who reads the fine print?https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Documents/Legal/10812/US-TicketContract.pdf 

Pg 2 Carrier's Discretion #4:

a. If We cancel the Cruise or CruiseTour before it has started, We will refund the full Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare that We have actually received (less any air or accommodation charges incurred).

Thank you - I missed that. Mea culpa.

2 hours ago, roger b said:

Resuming any Time soon !! Highly un -lightly  British Government say up to a YEAR !!!!

I guess to our Dear Leader's disappointment, the church pews will not be packed with joyful celebrants on Easter- nor will his empty hotels, golf resorts and spas be full with guests - the real reason why he is so anxious to get back to normal ASAP.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I guess to our Dear Leader's disappointment, the church pews will not be packed with joyful celebrants on Easter- nor will his empty hotels, golf resorts and spas be full with guests - the real reason why he is so anxious to get back to normal ASAP.

Can we please leave individual political leanings and biases at the door, before entering this room?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

This is what I am seeing:

Passenger Bill of Rights

The Members of the Cruise Lines International Association are dedicated to the comfort and care of all passengers on oceangoing cruises throughout the world. To fulfill this commitment, our Members have agreed to adopt the following set of passenger rights:

2. The right to a full refund for a trip that is canceled due to mechanical failures, or a partial refund for voyages that are terminated early due to those failures.

While this specifically refers to a mechanical failure I wonder if it would apply to cancellations due to COVID?

Translation ;   The cruise lines would like to treat  nice and passengers give them the right to apply for a refund.   This is a  "we  aim to treat everyone well and will listen to any complaint and will listen to those complaints".   As I read this,   there are no "WILL", SHALL" MUST"      It  is in no way a contract. that supersedes the actual contracts of the ships/companies.   Just a mission statement.  it Guarantees nothing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Translation ;   The cruise lines would like to treat  nice and passengers give them the right to apply for a refund.   This is a  "we  aim to treat everyone well and will listen to any complaint and will listen to those complaints".   As I read this,   there are no "WILL", SHALL" MUST"      It  is in no way a contract. that supersedes the actual contracts of the ships/companies.   Just a mission statement.  it Guarantees nothing

Agreed but I refer you to post #104 above by FF who clarified the issue - he found the correct ruling about refunds. 

Edited by Paulchili

14 hours ago, clo said:

It's not like you're making this up.

+1

A large part of their plan is to make it uncomfortable for us to speak about their tactics.

notice how uncomfortable those conversations are becoming-

• Like 1