Long time before cruising resumes

drkitkat123

On 3/26/2020 at 7:51 PM, clo said:

I have a few businesses that I boycott for ethical reasons. I would add any cruise company that accepting money from the US.

On 3/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, clo said:

Looks like the cruise lines definitely will not be eligible for bailout $$$. Good.

clo: so based on your comments, you will never take another cruise again? It is clear you despise the cruise industry and wish it to go under. There are plenty of other options for you to spend your vacation dollars on. Time to move on from cruise critic.

Maybe you can hang out online on TA, Fodors, or FlyerTalk.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, susiesan said:

clo: so based on your comments, you will never take another cruise again? It is clear you despise the cruise industry and wish it to go under. There are plenty of other options for you to spend your vacation dollars on. Time to move on from cruise critic.

Maybe you can hang out online on TA, Fodors, or FlyerTalk.

Do you not know that there are cruise lines that aren't US ones? I can give my business to those companies that I respect. And I happen to appreciate people who work to affect change. We have a FCC with Hurtigruten who has a huge number of destinations that are wildly appealing. Maybe some people will come through this with broadened/changed views. And others won't.

23 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

Can we please leave individual political leanings and biases at the door, before entering this room?

Actually this situation is too entwined with our political climate to leave it out. 

Truth is truth, not bias. On the other hand politics, like religion shouldn't really be discussed here. Beautiful, perfect. 

Carry on. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you not know that there are cruise lines that aren't US ones?

Most cruise lines are not US flagged/owned

Maybe you should just sail with those that are  American with American crew  there are several out there

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe you should just sail with those that are  American with American crew  there are several out there

I chose a simple sentence. Yes, I know the difference. My point is I wouldn't sail with any of those companies if they took bail out money as has been discussed. The older I get the more my personal ethics are at times - I'm not perfect - influencing my buying decisions. And I've shared this previously but here's a small cruise line with enough destinations to keep someone busy for a long time.

https://www.hurtigruten.com/destinations/

58 minutes ago, clo said:

The older I get the more my personal ethics are at times - I'm not perfect - influencing my buying decisions.

Guess your ethic have not caught up to computers & cell phones

Look at all those dying  making these items 

Something to add to your boycott

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Guess your ethic have not caught up to computers & cell phones

Look at all those dying  making these items 

Something to add to your boycott

Man, it's hard to live in this world we have today. 

Reminds me of the time I asked a Red Hatted, buy American fella if he'd rather have a Chevy made in Mexico City or a Toyota made in Mississippi? Can you say globalization boys and girls?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ORV said:

Reminds me of the time I asked a Red Hatted, buy American fella if he'd rather have a Chevy made in Mexico City or a Toyota made in Mississippi? Can you say globalization boys and girls?

PLus 1

So if there are no cruises anywhere in the world for a year, and all of the cruise lines file for bankruptcy, what will happen to all of the hundreds of cruise ships docked all over the world? Will the creditors take possession and have them converted to hotels like the Queen Mary in Long Beach? Will they be scrapped in India? I doubt the corporations can survive for a year with zero revenue. 

15 minutes ago, susiesan said:

So if there are no cruises anywhere in the world for a year, and all of the cruise lines file for bankruptcy, what will happen to all of the hundreds of cruise ships docked all over the world? Will the creditors take possession and have them converted to hotels like the Queen Mary in Long Beach? Will they be scrapped in India? I doubt the corporations can survive for a year with zero revenue. 

I don't know and really don't care.😀

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

If you're talking about ocean cruising: It's been quite some time since I last checked but, I'm pretty sure the only working "blue water" cruise ship that can/does have an American flag is Pride of America (owned by NCL America). 

Remember that only ships built in the USA can have American registry. Add to that the unionized American crew and you can understand why "flags of convenience" exist. It's not just about taxes and third world labor force.

25 minutes ago, susiesan said:

It's doubtful that all cruise lines will go belly-up (ever). In a worse case scenario, I could see the premium/luxury lines turning one or more of their smaller ships into "time shares." And it could be that each ship's schedule would include cruising seasons and berthing seasons.

Living in SF, I could envision buying a NYC based time share parked in summer and cruising in the Southern Hemisphere during winter. Likewise, there are plenty of New Yorkers who would opt for a SF (or LA or SD) time share ......

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's doubtful that all cruise lines will go belly-up (ever). In a worse case scenario, I could see the premium/luxury lines turning one or more of their smaller ships into "time shares." And it could be that each ship's schedule would include cruising seasons and berthing seasons.

Living in SF, I could envision buying a NYC based time share parked in summer and cruising in the Southern Hemisphere during winter. Likewise, there are plenty of New Yorkers who would opt for a SF (or LA or SD) time share ......

Speaking of that what is the status on The World?

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Not much is "home made "  anymore

Even when you think it is built in America/Canada   the parts come from elsewhere 😁

14 minutes ago, ORV said:

Speaking of that what is the status on The World?

She is anchored of Freemantle

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:374396/mmsi:311213000/imo:9219331/vessel:THE_WORLD/_:5eef6ba49ab270e29ebb7e5ef90926f6

maybe you can get an apt  cheap 😉

https://aboardtheworld.com/residences/

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you're talking about ocean cruising: It's been quite some time since I last checked but, I'm pretty sure the only working "blue water" cruise ship that can/does have an American flag is Pride of America (owned by NCL America). 

Remember that only ships built in the USA can have American registry. Add to that the unionized American crew and you can understand why "flags of convenience" exist. It's not just about taxes and third world labor force.

I'm just tacking this on here cause you know a lot 🙂 

I consider myself at least a princess of Google if not a queen but for the life me I cannot find the names of cruise lines that have no affiliation with US companies. We've sailed Hurtigruten so I know about them but who are the others? Seems like there are ought to be plenty of choices out there.

?????

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I consider myself at least a princess of Google if not a queen but for the life me I cannot find the names of cruise lines that have no affiliation with US companies.

?????

Crystal

Fred Olsen

Hebridean

Ponant

Scenic

5 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm just tacking this on here cause you know a lot 🙂 

I consider myself at least a princess of Google if not a queen but for the life me I cannot find the names of cruise lines that have no affiliation with US companies. We've sailed Hurtigruten so I know about them but who are the others? Seems like there are ought to be plenty of choices out there.

?????

Googley believes they know what we want and filters the results. So it becomes hard to get a world view.  Google knows your posting from Reno (I have to take your word on that ) and so gives you US associated lines. It is hard to get away from

I often find it easiest to go to sources rather than search engines such as bbc news or Wikipedia articles that can be more general such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_lines.

Your Norwegian based spawned from a ferry system Hurtigruten is listed as is MSC which is trying hard to market to USA now. And others.

You can also try forcing your search engine for other country results such as www.google.co.uk or https://www.bing.com/?cc=uk  but even then they can see through your attempt and serve up local news. Makes it difficult for us to understand what is not only happening in the rest of the world but how we fit into the world when everything is seen through our lens.

I changed my "language" setting to English - Canada  and some sites would only give me results in French.

20 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Googley

My happiest day are when I learn something new and this is HUGE-ly! Thank you so much.

We first sailed on Hurtigruten to Antarctica, part of a Gate1 Patagonia/Antarctica/and more trip. And then a year ago did their RT coastal trip. It's still a ferry for some passengers and also cargo. We adored the whole ambiance of that trip. Including our cabin which some one here compared to a jail cell 🙂 I'll be searching out similar lines.

Again, many many thanks for the education.

Cath

IMG_6833 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6680 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6679 - Edited.jpg

IMG_6639 - Edited.jpg

1 minute ago, clo said:

Hurtigruten

Thank for the pictures! Its been on my list for a long time since seeing  promo piece with a photo of a gorgeous night sky and a few pax, properly clothed for the weather standing on deck enjoying the starry views with the deck covered with an inch or so of fresh snow. The R/T coastal stopping to drop off cargo and pick up mail would be an excellent trip for me I am sure. A little glimpse into others way of life. I also love sailing into Valletta, a day's port excursion  in France, a relaxing day (or more) at sea.... So what attracts me to cruising varies but definitely cruising is attractive to me (DW is our land side)

• Like 1

Before Hurtigruten was Hurtigruten it was Bergen Lines.  (I'm pretty sure of that but could be wrong; I'm sure because the Norwegian itineraries are pretty much the same for both lines.)

We loved our Norwegian coastal cruise (Bergen to NorthCape and back) in 1975.  As with Hurtigruten, it was largely local traffic for one port or two, and also a mail boat.  Some stops were as long as 15 minutes, but when we were in Trondheim I think we were overnight.  We had one of the six first class cabins with an en suite bath, but it was very small with bunk beds.  As I said at the beginning of this paragraph, we loved it.

I'm sure Hurtigruten isn't using the old Bergen Line vessels from the 1970s ... they current ships certainly LOOK bigger.  But they aren't immense.

Passengers were mostly European back then but certainly not exclusively.  And my recollection is announcements in English, but that's so long ago I'm not positive about that.  Certainly we didn't have a problem with language.  Back then my French, Italian and German were pretty good so announcements in those languages wouldn't have been a problem ... although any in Norwegian would have been pretty much useless to us, even though my mother's grandparents came from Norway to the U.S. around the 1870s.

Enough!

Mura