And now Alaska is going to quarantine visitors.

Prost Seattle

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020/03/24/state-to-require-all-travelers-arriving-in-alaska-to-self-quarantine-number-of-confirmed-cases-reaches-36/

Moving to stall the spread of coronovirus in Alaska, state officials on Monday announced a new mandate requiring everyone entering the state from Outside to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Officials also disclosed the state now has 36 confirmed cases of COVID-19, four of which were confirmed to be community spread rather than originating elsewhere. That includes four new confirmed cases announced Monday — all adults living in Anchorage, and all travel-related.

“I got a call we had really our first community case here in Alaska,” Dr. Anne Zink, Alaska’s chief medical officer, said of a conversation she had Sunday. “That felt like a sucker punch.”

The self-quarantine for travelers mandate goes into effect Wednesday at 12:01 a.m.

On March 13th the government of Canada said no cruise ships over 500 people until at-least July 1st in our ports... The transport minister will not review the policy until June 30th.... I have 10 people on the Eclipse on June 28th and final payment is due March 30th.... they still don't know what they are doing with this ship and they say it's not cancelled and they have not modified the itinerary yet and I would sure hope for the good of all the passengers that they decide before the March 30th final payment date.  I'm sure this is affecting all the other customers on earlier sailing in and out of Vancouver as well and hope they will have some info before March 30th 

• Like 1

Today it is sad that headlines politicize and twist everything. From CNBC saying COVID was present on Diamond 17 days later - the RNA was present, nothing possibly contagious according to epidemiologists - to twisting Trump's statement that we need to look at measures in the future to get the country going again - not now, but in weeks ahead how do you move forward. Another problem with words not being clearly stated or later clarified.

Truly sad.

Alaska wants to delay the virus. Get it. Clear and correct. Cruising will not resume until COVID is gone. Does anyone seriously think we will cruise this spring or summer?

Sorry for the editorial rant. Going crazy already keeping asthmatic wife happy at home. She wants to shop - for anything.

• Like 2

Kristy:  You will NOT get an answer from Celebrity on your June sailing by March 30.  Unless your clients want to be in limbo for several months, they should not make final payment and cancel now.  JMHO.

10 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

On March 13th the government of Canada said no cruise ships over 500 people until at-least July 1st in our ports... The transport minister will not review the policy until June 30th.... I have 10 people on the Eclipse on June 28th and final payment is due March 30th.... they still don't know what they are doing with this ship and they say it's not cancelled and they have not modified the itinerary yet and I would sure hope for the good of all the passengers that they decide before the March 30th final payment date.  I'm sure this is affecting all the other customers on earlier sailing in and out of Vancouver as well and hope they will have some info before March 30th 

Misty - you are before final payment. Celebrity is still catching up from last cancellations as show by FCCs from March 3rd estimated out mid-April.  Stop stressing and either get a mindset to cancel or wait for X to cancel.  News by March 30th?  Possible but not likely.  Will your cruise happen?  Your analysis is pretty good.

1 minute ago, julia said:

Kristy:  You will NOT get an answer from Celebrity on your June sailing by March 30.  Unless your clients want to be in limbo for several months, they should not make final payment and cancel now.  JMHO.

I couldn't agree more. Celebrity is still silent about a Vancouver - Hawaii cruise that is less than three weeks away, so it's unrealistic to think that they'll be commenting on a cruise three months away. Cancel now unless you are willing to wait it out for the 125% FCC.

18 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Misty - you are before final payment. Celebrity is still catching up from last cancellations as show by FCCs from March 3rd estimated out mid-April.  Stop stressing and either get a mindset to cancel or wait for X to cancel.  News by March 30th?  Possible but not likely.  Will your cruise happen?  Your analysis is pretty good.

Analysis... the Canadian Government flat out said no ships.... there is NO chance this cruise is happening out of Vancouver or Victoria ... I'm not stressed I just think it's pretty crappy they can't make decisions on it before the final. (now they still have 6 days)  One reservation agent at Celebrity I had said "We are hoping your Canadian Government changes their mind" HAHAHAHAHA ya okay

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I couldn't agree more. Celebrity is still silent about a Vancouver - Hawaii cruise that is less than three weeks away, so it's unrealistic to think that they'll be commenting on a cruise three months away. Cancel now unless you are willing to wait it out for the 125% FCC.

But the government of Canada has advised they can't come here... it's a hard no, no ships until at least July 1st...

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/government-of-canada-announces-intention-to-defer-the-start-of-cruise-ship-season-in-canada-as-covid-19-response-measure.html

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Stop stressing and either get a mindset to cancel or wait for X to cancel. 

BUT, how long do we wait for Celebrity to make their mind up?

Most countries are now in lock down.

In the UK over 70’s have been told not to go out, not to travel, so how the heck do we get to a cruise ship?

Not even sure at this point in time whether the TA’s will even take place- as our Prime Minister has told over 70’s not to cruise, I just wonder if the cruise ships will be allowed into Southampton. Most P&O ships are there, so will there be room even for others to Moor?

This was an easy call for Alaska, the Government of Canada already made it for them, Canadian ports are closed to Cruise ships until at least July 1st; no Canadian ports no Alaska cruises. Make no  mistake if Canada opens the ports and the cruise industry is able to restart the "open for Business" sign will be up in Alaska within hours of the announcement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KristyMisty14 said:

But the government of Canada has advised they can't come here... it's a hard no, no ships until at least July 1st...

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/government-of-canada-announces-intention-to-defer-the-start-of-cruise-ship-season-in-canada-as-covid-19-response-measure.html

Honestly, not sure why this just isn’t understood and accepted for what it is.  

It is without a doubt, a HARD NO from Canada and no matter how much people “wishful think” that Canada will change its mind, it’s OFF the table.  This ban is until AT LEAST July 1st and although I don’t have a crystal or magic-8 ball,  I can see it being extended into the summer.

PM Trudeau already gave the “Enough is Enough” speech yesterday as there are just “too many” people defying the self-distancing / self-isolation  recommendations.   Cruise ports are the least of his worries right now.

Edited by hvbaskey
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

BUT, how long do we wait for Celebrity to make their mind up?

Most countries are now in lock down.

In the UK over 70’s have been told not to go out, not to travel, so how the heck do we get to a cruise ship?

Not even sure at this point in time whether the TA’s will even take place- as our Prime Minister has told over 70’s not to cruise, I just wonder if the cruise ships will be allowed into Southampton. Most P&O ships are there, so will there be room even for others to Moor?

I would cancel.  But if one wants to wait to hear if it will be cancelled you should know by June 15th or so.  The only reason for waiting is the 125%FCC that you might get in August.  Sure wish I had your decision. Would have cancelled in a second.

On a pure business perspective, X is hoping to cruise maybe on late May to some places. IMO, not likely. Once cancelled the cruises are gone.

53 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

LOL, I've been well aware of the ban ever since Marc Garneau made the announcement. Even Celebrity acknowledges the closure on its website, although they say that "This situation remains fluid, and we are unsure how long this ban will be in place."

The point of my post was simply to point out that nothing appears to convince them to face the reality that they should be cancelling now all of the cruises that start in, finish in, and/or visit Canada prior to July 1. But as they are unwilling, you are left with the choices of cancelling now, or waiting for them to do so at the last minute if you want to hold out for the 125% FCC. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fouremco said:

The point of my post was simply to point out that nothing appears to convince them to face the reality that they should be cancelling now all of the cruises that start in, finish in, and/or visit Canada prior to July 1. But as they are unwilling, you are left with the choices of cancelling now, or waiting for them to do so at the last minute if you want to hold out for the 125% FCC. 

Isn't that kind of shi&&y for their customers though... doesn't really look good on them IMO

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

My train of thought is that they can only handle “so many” cancellations at a time and perhaps struggling with current cancellations and to find some kind of replacement itinerary for the ships who usually do Alaska (IF that’s even logistical or feasible, considering the current climate).  

So, although their web site is a mess and not accurate (not defending the mess at all); but at some point - passengers need to take responsibility and make their own decisions of whether to cancel or not and not wait for the announcement from X.

I couldn’t even imagine travelling in May or June at this point in time - COVID19 is far from being under control.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

Isn't that kind of shi&&y for their customers though... doesn't really look good on them IMO

Absolutely terrible. The Hawaiian cruise I mentioned was one that I cancelled a couple of weeks ago when it was obvious that the cruise wouldn't go ahead, and that was even before our cruise port closures and the governors of Hawaii and now Alaska introducing their measures. Doesn't look at all good on them.

2 hours ago, Provence55always said:

No one will be cruising anywhere until there is a vaccine. Totally irresponsible to suggest otherwise in my humble opinion.

We have a Flu Vaccine...yet how many people a year die from the flu?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KristyMisty14 said:

It is very sh.....y!

Princess has 18 ships, and canceled all sailings for 60 days.  They gave their passengers generous compensation, and were straightforward with them.  Celebrity??  Well, their lack of communication for the late-April & May sailings, given the current conditions, is just poor management.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

My train of thought is that they can only handle “so many” cancellations at a time and perhaps struggling with current cancellations and to find some kind of replacement itinerary for the ships who usually do Alaska (IF that’s even logistical or feasible, considering the current climate).  

So, although their web site is a mess and not accurate (not defending the mess at all); but at some point - passengers need to take responsibility and make their own decisions of whether to cancel or not and not wait for the announcement from X.

I couldn’t even imagine travelling in May or June at this point in time - COVID19 is far from being under control.  

Air Canada Vacations a Canadian whole sale company that does packages vacations to Mexico, Caribbean etc has just changed their final payment date to 25 days out.... now I know that X has the 48 hour out  policy to cancel your sailing but I think in the cases like this where final payment is not collected, but it's a sailing date before July 1st  they need to extend the final payment date until they know what they are doing with the ship.