Some humour - Aussie slang

One of our sons sent us an email that suggests there will be some new Aussie slang soon.

Sanny - hand sanitiser

In iso - in isolation/lockdown

The Rona - Covid-19

Magpie - supermarket hoarder

Used in a sentence - "Me boss tested pozzi for the Rona so now I'm in iso. Popped down to Woollies for some sanny but it's been magpie'd.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

19 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

One of our sons sent us an email that suggests there will be some new Aussie slang soon.

Sanny - hand sanitiser

In iso - in isolation/lockdown

The Rona - Covid-19

Magpie - supermarket hoarder

Used in a sentence - "Me boss tested pozzi for the Rona so now I'm in iso. Popped down to Woollies for some sanny but it's been magpie'd.

Strewth, fair suck of the sav.

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cleverest slang - budgie smugglers, especially budgie smugglers on PM (now ex).

Favourite expression - Don't sweat the small stuff!

Don't sweat the small stuff is not an Australian saying, it came from an American psychotherapist and author Richard Carlson's book of the same name. He evidently heard it from someone else.

Leigh

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Cleverest slang - budgie smugglers, especially budgie smugglers on PM (now ex).

Favourite expression - Don't sweat the small stuff!

Sorry my fault.  I know it is not Australian, but I love that expression, which typifies the Aussie attitude.  

In my family from the bush most sentences had an Aussie expression or slang in it.  I have lost most until I hear it, or read it in Lunn's book. 

Edited by MMDown Under

On 3/31/2020 at 10:07 AM, Elorac123 said:

Have been watching reruns of Mc leouds Daughters and heard the old one when enjoying a beer “Up your bum”

Cheers Carole

Your terrible Carole

Love the way Aussies change names, as well as make nicknames, for people, which stick. 

I used to work with a guy called Vic.  When I asked him what it was short for, he replied this is not my real name.  When I started, they said there were too many ?s, you can be Vic.  

Shortie for tall guys

Bluey for redheads

On 4/2/2020 at 6:01 AM, Elorac123 said:

Blame it on the script writers, 

Cheers Carole

My friend has her name on her number plate.  Driving along, she heard a loud "Not Happy Jan!".

I get "Maid Marion" - blame it on Robin Hood!

Edited by MMDown Under

On 4/2/2020 at 3:33 AM, MMDown Under said:

Love the way Aussies change names, as well as make nicknames, for people, which stick. 

I used to work with a guy called Vic.  When I asked him what it was short for, he replied this is not my real name.  When I started, they said there were too many ?s, you can be Vic.  

Shortie for tall guys

Bluey for redheads

Always known my wife’s Uncle as Doug, knew his first name was Arnold, went to draft his will, now is you middle name Doug or Douglas, neither comes the reply it’s not Doug at all it’s Alister, he worked somewhere with a couple of Arnold’s and an Alister so they decided to call him Doug, her Aunty only knew him as Doug for about the first six or so months they were going out.

21 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Always known my wife’s Uncle as Doug, knew his first name was Arnold, went to draft his will, now is you middle name Doug or Douglas, neither comes the reply it’s not Doug at all it’s Alister, he worked somewhere with a couple of Arnold’s and an Alister so they decided to call him Doug, her Aunty only knew him as Doug for about the first six or so months they were going out.

That is funny.  Family history is always interesting (often with lots of family secrets).  I've loved the Royal Family as long as I can remember, so I added Elizabeth as my 3rd name.  Everything I owned always had the three initials, my own and the Queen's.  Years later, my cousins swore Elizabeth was my real name.