Disney Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

Greetings, Disney Cruisers ~ If an effort to give our members a place where we can discuss how things are where YOU are related to the Coronavirus, hosts are starting these threads so we can chat during the crisis. Let's talk about creative ways our families and neighbors are coping and helping one another out; share ideas for parents who are at home 24/7 with their school age children; you get the idea.....  Our only request is that we AVOID turning this into a political or health debate thread.  This is a stressful time for everyone.  Let's practice some kindness and make Cruise Critic a place members want to visit in this difficult time.

I'll start. We recently came home from the WBPC on the Disney Wonder. I already created a topic about our experience in this forum, so I won't rehash it. But let's just say, I was feeling more safe last week than I am this week. I live in NY, which is the epicenter of the crisis and thankfully, I can work from home.  I have one daughter who works full time in Disney World and is getting paid and another daughter who works n a hospital in DC, who is my current cause for stress. My son lives in PA and is also working from home. His wife is expecting the end of June, so hopefully the curve will have flattened by then. 

In the meantime, we are suing the 40% discount afforded us to book the Northern Europe Cruise from Dover to at the end of August 28th. Still a long time away, but researching ports unfamiliar to me will help distract me from it all.

• Like 1

I'm hoping the curve flattens before May 2nd. Our family is booked to set sail on that day on Disney Fantasy. Eastern Caribbean itinerary. It's not looking good. I live in Bergen County, New Jersey. Not far from NYC. Sadly, I suspect our curve will start to flatten before Florida's curve flattens. If our cruise is cancelled would anyone know how Disney will handle this or what options they will offer? This was going to be a trip of a lifetime for my granddaughters, ages 3 and 5. My Disney princesses!

Saying a prayer for your daughter and all of our healthcare workers, and those manning our grocery stores and more. Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

My husband helped answer my questions above on how Disney will handle cancellations, by pointing me to the Travel Notice bar at the top of the page. Duh! He's been on cruise critic for years. I've just created an account, despite having 20+ cruises under my belt. The explanations across cruise lines and ports is great and thorough. Thanks CC.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 7:53 AM, gometros said:

I'll start. We recently came home from the WBPC on the Disney Wonder. I already created a topic about our experience in this forum, so I won't rehash it. But let's just say, I was feeling more safe last week than I am this week. I live in NY, which is the epicenter of the crisis and thankfully, I can work from home.  I have one daughter who works full time in Disney World and is getting paid and another daughter who works n a hospital in DC, who is my current cause for stress. My son lives in PA and is also working from home. His wife is expecting the end of June, so hopefully the curve will have flattened by then. 

In the meantime, we are suing the 40% discount afforded us to book the Northern Europe Cruise from Dover to at the end of August 28th. Still a long time away, but researching ports unfamiliar to me will help distract me from it all.

Just wondering if you saw this......

Edited by ReclusiveGrub

On 4/15/2020 at 2:24 AM, ReclusiveGrub said:

Just wondering if you saw this......

What a load of crap. He's going off second hand information and a lot of speculation and second guessing. Don't get me wrong, people and crew did get sick, but he's going back to the one guest from the cruise two prior to the wbpc that everyone has been speculating about. He made one statement about some guests supposedly boarding without being tested and I can tell you that is absolutely not true. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no gun-toting Covidiot, but I've optimistically gambled everything--okay, just a third of my stimulus check--on the Disney Magic being up and running again in the Bahamas by Feb. 1.  

(I'd never been at the right time or right place to find an affordable Marvel Day at Sea before, and I'm not passing up this chance now...Although I'm still getting Cancellation insurance just in case.)

Even if it means packing masks along, I'm used to it by now.  Now I just have to find a few more fashionable ones.

It's the one thing getting me through spring in New England, where winter doesn't officially end until Memorial Day.

Edited by EJanss
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Our cruise through the Panama Canal on the Wonder was cancelled and we have no other reservations. We live in Canada and our government has banned nonessential travel which obviously includes vacationing. We can travel within Canada although flights are nothing like in pre-COVID days. We tested negative and have had no symptoms. We are retired so it is easier to stay home as we have no concerns about work, getting kids to school, etc.. Luckily we have a great patio and the weather has been warm this summer. We have lots of streaming services on TV and we have reduced our television stations significantly - tired of news about COVID and the US election (all discouraging). We had to adjust to a new shopping experience - we have never had to wait in lines to get into a store in our lives. Luckily businesses and people adapted and shopping is as easy as pre-COVID. My doctor now does my health monitoring over the telephone and our pharmacist has stayed effective and efficient as he always is. Initially medications were being rationed (only 30 day supply at a time) but that has ended. Our city has mandated mask wearing in indoor public places. The vast majority are abiding by the rules. Fines are being levied on people who routinely make no effort to wear a mask.

Americans are not allowed to cross the border except for essential trips. Some have flaunted Canadian regulations with pretty significant consequences. One man from Alaska repeatedly visited tourist spots over a few days (Canadians are reporting cars with foreign license plates). He now must appear in court and faces jail time as well as a $500,000 fine (YES - $500,000!!). Americans can travel through Canada if they are on the way to Alaska but are not to visit tourist areas and are to travel directly without unnecessary stopping.

So we are living okay and our mood is positive. I look for potential cruises in the future but am kind of alarmed at how much future cruises on Disney are filling up. Some have few accommodation choices left. Mind you flights to departure ports are currently in short supply which adds to the challenge of travelling. We have had great times visiting the US and going on cruises but we are thinking that those days might be passed.

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings All,

We are out of Ontario, Canada and we have been safe so far but it looks like we are heading into the second wave here. The wife and I have been very careful, if we leave the house, we always wearing masks and cleaning our hands often. I work for a school board and we have over 45% of the students learning from home. To put it in real numbers, 65000 student have not returned to the classroom. 

We were booked on a 5 day for next week, for our granddaughter's 1st birthday. Sadly we have had to moved our cruise to Oct 2021. We hare hoping things are under control by then. If not then we will move it into 2022.

Be safe, care for those around you. Even if it is just a wave. 

John

• 5 weeks later...

The Canadian government extended the border closing to the end of November. The government is starting a trial at the Calgary Airport and the Coutts land crossing where travellers are given the option of quarantining for 14 days or taking a COVID test. If negative the traveller is expected to repeat the test about 1 week later and if that is negative then the traveller is no longer quarantined and can travel freely. I assume that there will be penalties should you not get the second test. Details will need to be explained. Some travellers are now  scheduled for court appearances with the potential to receive fines and/or jail time for noncompliance with health department directives.

We won't travel until we know that Health Canada has approved regimens for travel on airplanes and on ships.As much as we would like to take cruises we decided that our health had to be a priority - death would be bad enough but living with ongoing symptoms after recovery could be just as bad or worse.

Take care everyone!

• 2 months later...