Holland America Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

I took a few days to head down to Seward, Alaska to go fishing.  The weather was glorious and driving into town, you would almost think things were back to normal (not talking about vaccines here).  The inconvenient truth of the pandemic was on display in Seward with business after business begging for help, limited hours, complete closings, limited closings and wait lines for grocery shopping and restaurants.  I like so many people would just love things to get back to being normal again.  When we drove out of town, I had mixed feelings about my few days in Seward.  On one hand it was great to get out and enjoy Seward, on the other hand, labor and supply chain shortages are sad truths that we have a long way to go.  

We both got our second shot yesterday and are really looking forward to things getting back to normal as fast as possible. When we cruise next July we hope it will be as close to possible as it used to be, but I'm sure we will feel the after effects of this covid for awhile. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 1:37 PM, Tennessee Titan said:

Yesterday at 5pm 117 deg F 12% humidity on my weather station.

NOT Phoenix or Las Vegas!

Hmmm,  12% humidity.  What we would give for 12% in Nashville. 

I've always assumed you are in Portland,  TN. (TN Titan)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 4:11 AM, puppycanducruise said:

Ugh.  We've got a special weather statement - rain this afternoon, heavy at times.  Amounts up to 50mm.  

Send some of that rain over here. We are extremely dry and the threat of forest fires is real and ever present. The weather charts have shown a huge high pressure are off the coast that forces all the rain north to Haida Gwaii and Alaska

• 4 weeks later...

How is everyone doing out there?  

We just got bumped from our next cruise (January 27, 2022 from Buenos Aires), so it looks like the next one is on the Nieuw Amsterdam May 15, 2022 in Alaska.  I'm super pumped to finally be able to get on a ship again.  Around here, central Missouri, USA, it seems like most restaurants and shops are short of staff, and so are closed at odd times.  We have several new places opening up, but definitely hope they can attract good staff.  

Looking forward to our Dec. 1, 2021 Rotterdam cruise. Fourth attempt at this itinerary. One I had to cancel because of surgery; two cancelled by COVID. Finally got some rain here (near Seattle, WA). Driest summer I can remember in 45 years living here (originally from Metro NY City).

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things are much better in the Vancouver Coastal region (pop 1.25m). Cases are down below 100/day. Full vax for 83% of the 12+. Mask and vax mandates. Restrictions on international visitors.

There's hope that covid will be mild this winter. I'm confident that cruises can resume from Vancouver in spring. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:46 PM, Alan-a-Dale said:

Things are swell in Sherwood Forest.

I'm still a little overwhelmed posting on Cruise Critic, though.

And sometimes, there is too much information, so right when I think I'm ready to book a cruise, I read some reason here why I should not.

I feel like I have an angel on one shoulder and a devil n the other, like in cartoons.

Welcome to CC.There is nothing better than cruising.

I love HAL.

Edited by lenquixote66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all from Melbourne Australia.  Well what a crazy 2 years we have all had.

Our borders are slowly opening, currently only 2 states open.  Cruising is yet to recommence here, fingers crossed soon ships will once again grace our shores.

Take care all

Vicki

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 6:16 AM, Kangakid said:

Hi all from Melbourne Australia.  Well what a crazy 2 years we have all had.

Our borders are slowly opening, currently only 2 states open.  Cruising is yet to recommence here, fingers crossed soon ships will once again grace our shores.

Take care all

Vicki

These two crazy years aren't over yet :( I guess they'll come up with another strain, and the borders will close again.

Things are great, our local ski hill opened yesterday. It was great to get back out on the hills & get some runs in. Sun shine blue sky -3C (26F) and the snow guns were going full blast making snow.

P1010030.JPG

P1010034.JPG

• Like 2