Norwegian Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

On 6/21/2021 at 6:58 AM, bkrickles1 said:

That's awesome too. I assume you mean Bruce on Broadway? It's a great show. It reminded me of the way he used to tell stories when I first started seeing him around 1980.

I saw the Eagles a few years ago, before Glen Frey died, and it was awesome. I don't love that they're still charging top dollar when it's his son filling in now but Joe Walsh makes up for it almost all on his own.

Have fun!

I saw Bruce before the E-Street band days .

• 2 weeks later...

Things are going pretty good in our area of southern Ontario. In the entire county we have only 5 positives. We're at Step 3 out of 3 Steps, which is everything open but with maximum capacities. We could go to full open on Aug 6th but I don't think we will as some areas are seeing an increase of positives, so we're going to need more time to see what will happen with the COVID Delta variant increasing in the province. But we're feeling much more comfortable now that we're vaccinated.

We’re currently going through the first autumnal storm here in Ireland, one of the weather stations had more rain yesterday than their monthly average. The lifeguards spent a large portion of their day blowing whistles to get non-surfer people out of the sea. 
case numbers here are back above 1k new positives per day, there were walk-in vaccination centres opened last weekend which had massive attendances, they’re open again this weekend and under 18s can now register for an appointment to book an mRNA vaccine. Still no sign of a return to live music at indoor venues or any festivals other than some very limited test events. At the moment the plan for the all-Ireland finals in football and hurling is to have 50% capacity.  Still no sign of the US reciprocating the EU’s travel waiver for the vaccinated, but I’m starting to see more visitors from the US over here. 
I’m losing confidence in the likelihood of being able to take the cruise out of Puerto Rico I have booked for next year. 

Well I am in Austin Texas and we have gone backwards  to Stage 5. Very discouraging.

I am fully vaccinated. I am also in a clinical trial for COVID. At the end of the month, I go back to my study site to have blood taken and see how my antibodies are doing. They give me a safety call every month as well and they pay me which goes to my next cruise.

I received a reverse phone call yesterday from the City asking persons to stay home unless it is necessary to go out, to mask and social distance, etc etc.

I live in senior housing and stay home during the daytime somewhat because of the Texas Heat. I live on Lady Bird Lake aka Town Lake and the Greenbelt.

After 7 pm I take an evening walk visiting turtles, bunnies, ducks, egrets, herons, nutras, parakeets, other birds and every so often you see a snake or a huge fish. You never know what you are going to see. The ducks and turtles know me now. The turtles come up to the bridge for snacks and the ducks come over to the boat dock for their evening snack.

There are hundreds of people out on the greenbelt and boating on the lake. Everyone seems happy. No one seems overly concerned

I am near the Rainey Street Entertainment District and it appears to be happening. The condo on the other side of me had a party for the residents with a live band. 

All sorts of activities and events are beginning to take place. Yesterday was the City of Austin's birthday and there was  a party in Republic Square. Next week is a really big celebration of the renovated Waterloo Park with the dedication of an amphitheater.  At the end of the month is the Austin Chronicle Hot Sauce Contest and in October is the Austin City Limits Music Festival. 

Most hospital beds are taken because of COVID. I have not heard of deaths but maybe I am just tuning out.

I think most persons are vaccinated and feel pretty safe.  The economy is good. Businesses can not get enough help.  Everything remains open but perhaps with more restrictions.

• 3 weeks later...

We were doing well here in Central Florida after the vaccines became available and before the delta variant was the dominant strain. Now I keep hearing that I am living in the most dangerous spot on earth, covid wise. You'd never know it looking around. Masks are rare in businesses and doctor's offices. Everything that didn't go out of business is open again at full capacity. But there's a tent in our hospital parking lot for the overflow and ICUs are at capacity. My son, his wife, my daughter, my granddaughter and my 2 year old great grandson have all had been sick with covid. Three are still dealing with long term issues but thankfully not serious ones. I'm writing this at Port Canaveral, five miles from my home. Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Sea and two Disney ships sailed out tonight, one of them playing those famous Disney tunes on its horn. It's a very strange time but those ships lifted my heart, seeming to promise better times ahead. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, of1accord said:

We were doing well here in Central Florida after the vaccines became available and before the delta variant was the dominant strain. Now I keep hearing that I am living in the most dangerous spot on earth, covid wise. You'd never know it looking around. Masks are rare in businesses and doctor's offices. Everything that didn't go out of business is open again at full capacity. But there's a tent in our hospital parking lot for the overflow and ICUs are at capacity. My son, his wife, my daughter, my granddaughter and my 2 year old great grandson have all had been sick with covid. Three are still dealing with long term issues but thankfully not serious ones. I'm writing this at Port Canaveral, five miles from my home. Royal Caribbean's Mariner of the Sea and two Disney ships sailed out tonight, one of them playing those famous Disney tunes on its horn. It's a very strange time but those ships lifted my heart, seeming to promise better times ahead. 

I am so sorry to hear about your family!  The long term is the scariest part!  I have friends with long term issues and my husband had it a year ago and still isn't quite back all the way.  He thinks he's getting closer, but it hit him in energy levels.  Mid 50's and no underlying issues for him....not the case anymore.  I worry about my daughter and her family....stubborn non vaxers....UGH!

But, our area of FL is about as you described as well unfortunately!  Overflowing ICU's and friends and families being hit all around.  Mostly non vaxers.

Some business' have gone back to curbside (vet and food), some masks, but wish people were more diligent with them.

Just stay safe and sanitize when out!  That's all I do.  We are sailing out of Miami on Sunday and appreciate how NCL is 100% vax through end of year!  Makes me feel a little safer and like I can possibly start cruising normal again.  We have a PC on Divina in Nov....I'm hoping they go 100%, but doubt it.

I'd love to be able to hear the Disney as it leaves and see the ships pull out more!  What an exciting thing to be able to watch!

Stay Safe and Thank you!

• Like 3

On 8/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, of1accord said:

I am sorry to hear about your family. Hopefully their long term issues will improve.

I know what you mean about the ships lifting your heart. A couple weeks ago my husband and I were driving North on A1A and I saw a Carnival ship sailing out of the Port. I excitedly said "look, it's moving". It was a scene that used to be a normal one, and we haven't seen in so long.

Here in Ireland the government are talking about shutting down the NPHET (health emergency team) at the end of September and allowing all businesses including music and entertainment to fully reopen. It looks like the mask wearing and social distancing mandates are likely to remain in place until at least 90% of over 16s are fully vaccinated, currently estimated to be reached by the end of October. 
we’ve had amongst the highest rates of vaccination in the world so far, very little anti-vax sentiment here thankfully. There was a concern that parents may be more hesitant about signing up their 12-15yr olds but that seems to have been avoided. The research is suggesting that the messaging about the benefits of the vaccines heavily out-weighted the mis-information campaigns online. 
There has been a lot more foreign tourists in the last few weeks from the continent and USA. We’re having glorious weather at the moment, hot and sunny without the humidity we had in July. The schools started resuming last week with different school picking different start dates, the last of them should be back by Friday, then the universities will be resuming later in September. Face to face classes at the universities for the first time in 18 months, the poor freshers never even met their classmates last year, so the colleges have to run orientation for both 1st and 2nd years this year. 
One of my uncles lives in the US and is finally getting over here for the first time in 3 years. 

• Like 2

My sons and i are missing going to States.

And completing the trip with a carribean cruise

People from the States/ Canada are allowed to visit my country..there are some restrictions, but it is possible

But we have to be patient, hope that next year Biden will open the US border again

I will now cruise september 23 by myself to italy, greece, etc

Covid is still in the Netherlands, but lots  of people are vaccinated. 

We still have the basic rules...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, Happy-48 said:

My sons and i are missing going to States.

And completing the trip with a carribean cruise

People from the States/ Canada are allowed to visit my country..there are some restrictions, but it is possible

But we have to be patient, hope that next year Biden will open the US border again

I will now cruise september 23 by myself to italy, greece, etc

Covid is still in the Netherlands, but lots  of people are vaccinated. 

We still have the basic rules...

Good News ... We're allowed to visit the USA again from November !!

Irish news story about it

• Like 1

I am Norwegian, and it is now official - the Pandemic is over in Norway from 16.00 today (Saturday) at 4.00 PM local time, and we will go back to normal lives in ALL parts of the society, similar to pre-covid. Covid-19 is in Norway no longer considered as a critical or dangerous disease, because of the high number of vaccinated inhabitants (90% of adults from 18 years old and 85% for 16- and 17 years olds). So from now on no more recommendations regarding social distancing, or limitations for any kind of businesses. Of course difficult to predict the future, but unless there comes a new and more dangerous covid-mutation virus, Norway will be considered to be a «safe country» when it comes to Covid-19. I certainly hope that is stays that way as well.....! 

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 6

On 9/25/2021 at 7:02 AM, TrumpyNor said:

I am Norwegian, and it is now official - the Pandemic is over in Norway from 16.00 today (Saturday) at 4.00 PM local time, and we will go back to normal lives in ALL parts of the society, similar to pre-covid. Covid-19 is in Norway no longer considered as a critical or dangerous disease, because of the high number of vaccinated inhabitants (90% of adults from 18 years old and 85% for 16- and 17 years olds). So from now on no more recommendations regarding social distancing, or limitations for any kind of businesses. Of course difficult to predict the future, but unless there comes a new and more dangerous covid-mutation virus, Norway will be considered to be a «safe country» when it comes to Covid-19. I certainly hope that is stays that way as well.....! 

Great news!!!  We're happy for you!

• Like 1

So happy that I can finally go to rugby matches and concerts again … 🥳

Ireland’s still on track for a return to near normality. Over 90% of all adults are now vaccinated, and 75% of the total population has had at least one dose. The booster campaign for care home residents and the immuno-compromised is due to start next week and we’re now sending vaccine doses to Africa. The universities are running vaccination clinics to get their students covered, the 18-34 year olds have had the slowest vaccine take up. 
I was at a rugby match for the first time since February 2019 last Saturday, the stadium was only at 50% capacity but it was soo good to see familiar faces again, as well as roar and sing and shout. We do still have to wear masks at such outdoor events and that’s unlikely to change anytime soon. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here in Tokyo the Pandemic is nearly over. 

Japan with a population over 126 million is reporting about 200 new cases per day.

Tokyo, most populous city in the world (42 million), and one of the most dense in population, is seeing fewer than 20 new cases per day. 

Total Vaccination is around 80% and climbing quickly.

Japanese Government has authorized booster shots after 6 months from the final one.

Most businesses in Japan have survived. The Government paid the riskier ones to close or reduce hours, allowing them to continue paying salaries and making a profit. Now everything is open again.

Japan is now aiming for zero new cases. No foreigners are allowed to visit. Everyone wears masks always. Every business makes temperature checks of every person wanting to enter.

COVID vaccines and negative PCR tests are required for doing nearly everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again and greetings from NYC, as a seasoned CC member and planning to resume cruising early 2022 after taking a long sabbatical from Covid-19.  Just received this early advisory as a subscriber in the NYS/NYC Health Alert Network, read and distributed digitally to healthcare providers and others - it is tier 2 of 3, below Health Alert as released by US-CDC.  It is NOT a basis to panic or be alarmed, but rather to be aware and plan for it, take recommended steps and ... 

Being a part of the NYC Medical Reserve Corp, among thousands plus in the rank as volunteers, it is part of the continuous readiness mode that we are in, always prepared but unlike early 2020, not expected to be activated again and asked to report & be available to deploy to assist.  Personally, my household has restocked and maintained PPE for personal & family use.  Fully vaxxed and boosted, and, as prepared as one can be.  

A lot more details and info should be coming out in the next few days, if not sooner - researchers in UCSF and other top notch facilities are working around the clock to better understood & analyze the Omicron variant.  

Based on the very limited info available now, it appeared that some of the confirmed cases had no recent travel history and were vaccinated, suggesting that as CDC pointed out below, community transmission in the NY area.  This seemed aligned with 2 cases identified in Hong Kong with the travelers in hotel isolation as per quarantine protocols already in place for all arrivals.  

Message to fellow CruiseCritic members, stay alert and prepared, we are all eager to reach that new normal and get on with living & cruising.  If Omicron turned out to be no worst than the Delta variant, great ... but, the winter surge from Delta are now responsible for another wave.  We have personal choices and decisions to made ... we aren't helpless.  

#     #     #

Dear Health Alert Network (HAN) Subscriber:

2021 Health Advisory #38

Omicron SARS-CoV-2 Variant Identified in New York City

• We are distributing an official Centers for Disease Control and Prevent (CDC) Health Advisory regarding the omicron SARS-CoV-2 variant, which has been reported in at least 18 U.S. states to date.
  • Although the clinical and epidemiologic significance of this variant are not yet known, preliminary evidence suggests it is highly transmissible. See CDC Science Brief: Omicron (B.1.1.529) Variant for additional information.
  • The omicron variant has been confirmed in several New York City (NYC) residents, some of whom had no recent travel history, suggesting community transmission of the variant in NYC.
  • Omicron was confirmed in people who attended the Anime NYC convention at the Jacob Javits Center November 19 to 21.
  • The arrival of the omicron variant in NYC underscores the need for COVID-19 prevention measures for all New Yorkers, including:
    • Completing a primary COVID-19 vaccination series
    • Getting a COVID-19 booster dose
    • Staying home when sick, even if symptoms are mild
    • Wearing a mask in indoor public settings (see Commissioner’s Advisory)
    • Getting tested for COVID-19, especially if symptomatic or recently exposed to someone with COVID-19
    • Taking other measures to prevent exposure and transmission
  • The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will continue to provide updates, including on its COVID-19, COVID-19 Data (including information on variants) and COVID-19 Provider web pages .

The above Health Advisory with the links will take you to the official sites and details.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s full flight omicron in Ireland… booster shots are now available to everyone over 16, and the 5 to 12 year olds will start being vaccinated this week.

we were down to a few hundred positive cases before the rise of omicron, there’s not over 20,000 new cases daily and the total is suspected to be much much higher as the PCR testing capacity isn’t sufficient for the demand. For those getting PCR tests about half are coming back as positive. 
The only saving grace seems to be that omicron is not causing anything close to the same level of hospitalisations as previous variants, however the hospitalisations are starting to creep up again after having been on a downward trend. 
The hospitality and entertainment industry are back to dealing with restrictions, close by 8pm (except weddings), max 5,000 or 50% (whichever is lower) capacity at outdoor venues like sports stadiums. 

I’m currently watching a rugby game on tv that is taking place in wales (Great Britain) with an empty stadium. A lot of other countries in Europe are reintroducing restrictions at varying levels, (I suspect the severity is relative to the % of their population that has been vaccinated). 

the one oddity was with the countries that brought in travel restrictions from the countries where omicron first arose and then wound up dropping the travel ban because the variant was already in the country. Mind you the french still aren’t letting the British in which thoroughly mucked up the second round of a European rugby tournament a few weeks ago.  I expect that ban to disappear when the soccer champions cup resumes if it hasn’t already gone by then.

• 3 weeks later...

We live in Texas and 72% of our community is fully vaccinated. Our community was doing great with cases way down near single digit and so were nearly 100% back to normal, then Omicron hit and we're back to record case counts although it seems the only people dying are unvaccinated with underlying health conditions.  But Omicron can infect the vaccinated and the risk of catching it is Severe right now, so we are back to sheltering at home and limiting going out in public while social distancing anywhere we do go.  There is some evidence Omicron peaked two weeks ago.  Hopefully this surge will be over by March.  

Excellent news for anyone planning on visiting Ireland all the hospitality restrictions are lifted from 6am tomorrow. Staff still have to wear masks but that’s it, full capacity, music and normal pre-pandemic hours are back!!! 
Masks will still be required at most indoor locations and public transport, but covid certs will no longer be required for anything except international travel. 

Schools are about the only venue where restrictions will continue but there is a hope they will be clear by the end of February (honestly I think it’s to give more time to get vaccines to the kids).

It was an odd week this week, the politicians all making noises about wanting to lift restrictions but expecting NPHET (public health team) recommendations to be quite conservative. But then NPHET’s letter to the government yesterday basically said do whatever ye want lads, the hospitals are fine. Our deputy head of government is a doctor and had his 43rd birthday this week so he was mad keen to get restrictions gone so he could go celebrate properly, but even he thought it would be the end of February before they could lift restrictions so I’d say he was over the moon when he saw the NPHET letter.

This lifting of restrictions is largely down to the effectiveness of the vaccine roll out here in Ireland, we’re still having over 10,000 new cases a day but the hospitalisations have remained stable with relatively low numbers.  While our initial vaccine roll out was slow due to supply issues it got up to speed rapidly and we had well over 90% vaccinated by the time omicron arrived.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All restrictions gone in Ireland with the sole exception of using masks in medical settings. We still have rampant outbreaks of omicron but the hospitalisations are staying low. Apparently 50% of the people hospitalised by covid-omicron at the moment are unvaccinated, and given our vaccination rate is over 90% it means the unvaccinated are disproportionately affected by the virus. 
the one day to day continuing impact of covid are staff and student absences due to infection requiring them to self isolate across all walks of life. We lost our work placement student and our regular part-timer this past week due to the student being infected and our part-timer’s eldest child being infected.

it’s great fun working through an extended public holiday with minimal staff…