Norwegian Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

On 3/25/2020 at 2:42 AM, Travelling2Some said:

We are a retired couple in our early 60's in New York living a quiet, typical life. The streets and public transit are empty and most things are closed, which is, of course, totally surreal in NY.  Pretty much the only place you see many people together are supermarkets.  We are stocked up adequately so we stay home aside from a daily walk in the neighborhood during which we pick up fresh produce.  The two things in short supply seem to be toilet paper and chicken.  I guess they have their hands full inside the hospitals but as "innocent bystanders" we're really not seeing any drama at all except on the news. Obviously, the severely ill would not be out wandering the streets though.  We have a wide circle of friends and do not know of anyone who is actually ill.  I expect that will change, unfortunately, if predictions are accurate. The "daily life" changes for us are cancelled social events and church services and I also dearly miss the library.  We have suspended our usual family gathering for Sunday dinner with our adult children but can still do Facetime with our little grandson every day.   Several weddings and a dinner party have been cancelled for April and my weekly lunch date with friends is on hold indefinitely.  I really feel sorry for the couples who have put so much effort and money into weddings.  Our big anniversary trip to Europe this spring has, of course, been demolished.  Everyone can only comment on their own experience.  For us, so far, this has the odd feeling of being in limbo and waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My heart really goes out to those who are loosing small businesses and jobs.  The Chinese American community is being particularly hard hit and it saddens me on several levels to see that. 

We moved from Manhattan to Scottsdale, AZ recently.  Harder to say how things are going here since Covid is just not as much in the news as it was last winter when the Omicron variant was hitting hard.  I can only assume things are OK at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I'm in central NH in a tourist destination and it's business as usual.  All of the area businesses are looking for help and everything is open.  DH and I are still wearing our masks in the grocery store, Walmart, etc. and not eating out in restaurants.  We will eat out at restaurants that have outdoor seating or will get take-out.  

Last week's average was 175 new cases reported, but since this figure doesn't include people who are testing positive at home and not reporting it, I'm sure the actual number is higher.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I avoided it for 2 1/2 years.   wore masks before, then eased off when my city said they weren't necessary.   My husband went to church and evidently someone said they'd been fighting covid (why they came, I'm not sure)   so, he tests positive 3 days later. I avoided it for 2 weeks, and now have it.   a slight fever, mild cold symptoms, a feeling in my eyes of blurriness (that was actually my 1st symptom)     isolating now and going crazy 🙂  went on a cruise in May (Bliss to Alaska) and avoided covid then.   hope everyone is doing well!

PS we're in central 

washington state, where it''s hotter than you know where lol

Edited by Traveller20074
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder that Covid is still out there...

All our family had successfully avoided Covid for 2.5 years despite making a cross-country move (Boston->Seattle), wife working in the office around other people, kids attending school in person, etc.

Last week we cruised for the first time since Covid started, we wore masks in crowded areas, stayed in the Haven so not around many people, but we took the kids (7 and 10) to the Splash Academy a few times and they had capacity controls (max 60 kids) so people were lining up in the hallway with no distancing for 30 minutes or more to guarantee a spot. 

2 days before the end of the cruise my son lost his voice which we assumed was due to all the yelling he had been doing then the last day of the cruise both kids were tired which we assumed was due to letting them stay up a lot later than normal. We got home and all took rapid tests and both kids were positive, I tested positive the next day (immediately got prescribed Paxlovid as I am older and high-risk) and my wife tested positive the day after that.

We are all symptomatic but the kids are mostly feeling better and my wife and I are just tired with typical cold symptoms and aches.

It makes me wonder how many people are catching Covid on the ships and not realizing until they get home?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, MarkNH said:

It makes me wonder how many people are catching Covid on the ships and not realizing until they get home?

Many people.  Many catch it but it's mild or just not bad enough for a confirmation test that could put a stop to their vacation.  Hopefully those people are masking up to limit the spread further! 

I was on a 12 night cruise last month.  One of our group was sick enough that they went to medical, tested positive and was put on the quarantine deck.  Their cabin mate tested positive 2 days later on the last full day.  Based on their observations, the quarantine deck was quite full.  From the coughing around the ship, I would say there were many sick and many more would have tested positive in the days after returning home. 

On 8/11/2022 at 2:26 PM, MarkNH said:

I can tell you from experience - many are.  On our Facebook page (CCL) over 1/2 who were on it reported testing positive 1-3 days after getting home from our June cruise.  We (3) were lucky and escaped covid - but we wore masks inside the ship, and even on deck when walking through crowds.  We used Purell anytime we touched anything, ate outside when possible.  By the last day or 2 of the cruise many people were coughing and sneezing. (into their hands - then touching stuff). Hope anyone who gets covid has minor - if any symptoms from cruising. 

• 2 weeks later...

In East Texas things have been back to normal for quite sometime.  Even doctors offices stopped requiring masks about three months ago.  COVID is still around but very mild.  We returned from a Northern European cruise on 8/28 and tested positive the next day.   By day three we were feeling fine with just a little post nasal drip.   Our kids go to school per normal, sports teams compete, and life is good.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty much back to normality in Ireland, covid finally caught me last month but thankfully the vaccine and booster kept it relatively constrained. I had to re-up my relieving inhaler and am using it day to day as my lungs continue their recovery ,  thankfully my tests came back negative after 2 weeks.
As a country we’re seeing continuing shortages of staff in hospitality ever since covid because they were the last sector to re-open and people just left the industry. 
we’ve our highest employment rates ever, major shortages in long term rental accommodation and housing so the government is doing a lot of juggling to find places for the Ukrainian refugees. 

Did Alaska cruise in September, returned and 2 days later wife and I tested positive for covid. Three days later hit with hurricane Ian. Too sick to go anywhere, so hunkered down in hallway all night. Minor damage to house, but without electric for 10 days, water for 4 days and internet and tv for 35 days. Also cell phone service was spotty. Had to drive 45 miles to get gas for generator after 4 days because no one had electricity in our area. Lost out buildings and 2 pergolas. But we survived and feel blessed as so many lost everything. Please pray for them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/6/2023 at 6:14 PM, farmecologist said:

Strange...there was another covid related topic that had some interesting discussions going on....and it seems to have disappeared.  Lots of people in that thread reporting *recent* covid cases that they picked up on their cruises.  Be careful out there...

Pretty much every lingering guideline related to covid has ended in Ireland as of this week. The virus is still circulating and one of my friends had it a couple of weeks ago but no major symptoms like I had in October. 

I will be making sure to get another booster of the vaccine before my next cruise though. Heck I’ll probably get it before some family events this summer as we’ll have people coming from across the world in standard Irish fashion.