Oceania Cruisers -- How are things where YOU live?

CCHelp

We are currently in South Carolina. It's a beach area. We basically stay in the house or on the porch. We are not on lockdown. Try to walk around the neighborhood  away from others. Markets have limits on number of people allowed in at a time. Restaurants  take out/curb service only but many have shut down for the duration.  Governor  here plans on beginning  reopening  thing May 1. Not sure how that will work out. We shall see. Have a cruise planned December....maybe.

Hi all of you, many old friends,

We here in Ocean County NJ today are experiencing a stay at home shut down. Our little NJ Shore county today (Earth Day 22 April 2020) broke the 5,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19  and 244 deaths.  The number continues to grow.  DW and I haven't been in a grocery or any store since before Ash Wednesday.  Stupid us got ashes along with the crowd in church that day.  We were lucky didn't get COVID-19 yet.  It seems that it will only be a matter of time some of the virus will sneak into our home on a package or mail and infect.  Stay well everyone.

Well 6 weeks into this,  here in the Palm Springs area,  everything is pretty good.   Food produce. everything  but Paper towels and ammunition is plentiful.      Venturing out  is not a big deal  if you  wear a mask,  keep your distance and avoid crowds.    I would NOT use home delivery  as the x factor is  the person who brought it to you  and how many people they have mingled with .  As I see it going to the store is a better  deal because you can control the environment  not rely on someone else to.       

Here on the Big Island of Hawaii, things are not too bad.  Since our shelter-in-place rules started in late March, we've had only 70 cases of the virus; no deaths; our first, and only, hospitalization was the other day.  Oahu is the worst, followed by Maui; Kauai seems to be faring the best.  Since all cases have been brought to the islands, any arriving visitor and returnee has to undergo a 14-day quarantine.  Those people are being checked; some visitors who have violated the rules have been flown back to where they came from.  We have been permitted to go out to exercise [walk, run, bike; surf and swim but no linger on beach].  New rules in place require mask to be work to gain entry to places of business; no mask, no entry.  Our supermarkets have the aisles marked with arrows to designate the direction in which we are to shop to make it easier to maintain social distancing.  Every place has to have special hours for elders and vulnerable people to shop.  It's difficult to leave the Big Island, as there are no direct flights to the mainland and the last direct flight from the mainland arrived on March 26th.  Inter-island exists but to get to the mainland you have to fly through Honolulu.  The island's economy is totally in the tank as it is too dependent on tourism.  It will be very difficult to recover.

We live in San Rafael north of SF. I'm a 74 yo man with a heart condition. Just signed up for a 3/22 TA cruise with no regrets. Bankruptcy? Who knows. Heart attack? Who knows? Still shelter-in-place? Who knows? Anyway. It will be what it will be. right?

In downtown Toronto, Canada. Schools closed since the start of March break (March 12) and we have been hunkered down since then. A provincial state of emergency was declared on March 17th. 

Only food stores, pharmacies and take-out food are open. Hardware stores were closed until yesterday (except curbside pickup). The border between Canada and the US is closed, by mutual agreement, except for truckers, those who work in the other country, etc.) The government had asked people to come home and coordinated flights to get people home. I was amazed at the number who live outside Canada! Anyone returning to Canada has to self-quarantine for 2 weeks. And they must have a plan for groceries, etc. 

Those of us not under self-quarantine (the vast majority) are staying home except for groceries, etc. and a walk in the neighbourhood. We are ordering online mostly. People are finding creative ways to offer goods and services. An online wine website has organized wine sales from wine distributers who usually sell to restaurants. We have ordered our 2nd box of twelve. There is a farm that offers wonderful produce and they are delivering a weekly box of fruit and veggies, in cooperation with a greenhouse grower. Yesterday we got our first lot, including green garlic,  tomatoes, rhubarb! And we ordered meat from our organic farmer, anticipating that there may be shortages in the future.

Can't see my kids and grandkids, except on FaceTime and online gaming. Lots of contacts with family - by phone, email, chat. 

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Non-essential retail stores can open for curbside pickup tomorrow but likely it won't affect me. But things won't open up very much until we get down to less than 200 new cases per day in our province of Ontario. Numbers are going in the right direction, but still need to respect physical distancing (no closer than 2 metres and only with our household) on our walks.

And recalling all the wonderful places we have been on cruises and other modes of travel!

22 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

An online wine website has organized wine sales from wine distributers who usually sell to restaurants. We have ordered our 2nd box of twelve.

Frances 

where is  the winery ?  Not that we drink a lot

We have just been going to the LCBO 

27 minutes ago, Tansy Mews said:

But things won't open up very much until we get down to less than 200 new cases per day in our province of Ontario. Numbers are going in the right direction, but still need to respect physical distancing (no closer than 2 metres and only with our household) on our walks.

BTW, the population of Ontario is just under 15 million. And today we had 294 new cases. 

Frances

Edited by Tansy Mews

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

where is  the winery ?  Not that we drink a lot

We have just been going to the LCBO 

We got a dozen mixed bottles from Le Sommelier through Wine Align 

https://www.winealign.com/exchange/141-Restaurant+Relief+Cases

Not cheap but good wine. 
Delivered to our door!

We also thought of but didn’t order from Ontario wineries. 
https://winecountryontario.ca/direct-to-home/

Frances

2 hours ago, Tansy Mews said:

We got a dozen mixed bottles from Le Sommelier through Wine Align 

https://www.winealign.com/exchange/141-Restaurant+Relief+Cases

Not cheap but good wine. 
Delivered to our door!

We also thought of but didn’t order from Ontario wineries. 
https://winecountryontario.ca/direct-to-home/

Frances

Thanks  Frances

will have a look

We have a nice winery  not too far from us  but not sure if they are open during this situation

WillowSprings  near Stouffville   in normal times they give you tastes  so you can choose  what you like

Lyn

So around here about 85% of the population seem to think everything is fine. Large numbers of people still feel it's a hoax, but they feel the same way about climate change. Newsmax is big, other media is not to be trusted. 

Everything is starting to open back up for business, restaurants are allowing a limited number of diners in. Spas, salons, etc now open. Next week they are allowing movie theaters etc to open. I'm afraid there's a hard rain going to fall. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORV said:

So around here about 85% of the population seem to think everything is fine. Large numbers of people still feel it's a hoax, but they feel the same way about climate change. Newsmax is big, other media is not to be trusted. 

Everything is starting to open back up for business, restaurants are allowing a limited number of diners in. Spas, salons, etc now open. Next week they are allowing movie theaters etc to open. I'm afraid there's a hard rain going to fall. 

I hope  all this opening up  does not come back to bite them 😲

i am waiting to see the new cases  by the  weekend as many visited  their Mothers  on this past  weekend

I will give it another month or so before  venturing out  other than shopping for food

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...

I am still nursing hopes that our replacement cruise in SE Asia next Feb will happen though I doubt it.  Meanwhile, there is a wonderful article in the New York Times Travel section this morning about major travel destinations around the world being enjoyed by locals without the crowds.  They are getting to see their cities as others do.

We live on Amelia Island in North Florida  which is normally busy with vacationers from Spring Break to late October.  We do get a break in the winter since it is too cool for the beach but not like it was these last two months.  Since everything except grocery stores and a few other things were closed, families were out seeing our island and enjoying time together.  Since about 1/3 of us are retirees, enough precautions were taken to avoid large numbers of sick people. It is over now with hotels open and people coming for Memorial Day weekend.  Our businesses need this to be open for us in the future, but we had a glorious spring that we could enjoy until now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We returned to Michigan for the summer from Florida this week. What a contrast. Florida: Everything open, no spike. Dined outside at one of our favorite restaurants two weeks ago. Still here!. Local hospital has had no patients for a month. No new cases in the county for 3 weeks.

Now, back to Michigan. Like going back in time. Everything closed, no dining, take out only. No haircuts but you can go the dentist??? Totally different attitude, maybe because of the lack of sunshine. Politicians here who want to hide in place until whatever versus proactive and positive visible government in Florida.

If this keeps up here, we're heading back to Florida. Oh, and we cancelled our September Med  cruise ( probably not going) but rebooked for a December SA cruise.

Edited by Aloha 1

• 2 weeks later...

In New Jersey which has been a hot spot for the virus. Still many new cases and deaths even though the numbers are decreasing. Governor did ease the stay at home order this week.  There are a few places open.  Mostly go out to get groceries, drugstore items, and essential things.  Dentist opened this week. Got a cleaning.  Everyone covered up like a spaceman.  Rather strange, but I felt safe.  Hair  nail salons can open at the end of June.  Doctors are doing televisits.  Weird, but better than nothing.  Lines to enter many stores. Often if the line is long, I leave and come back later.  Still some strange shortages.  Have not seen disinfectant wipes since a February.  Restaurants can only do take away. There is talk of reopening with outdoor table service.  Gyms are still closed.  Schools are closed. There is talk about reopening libraries and some retail soon. Curb side orders are a limited option.  Mail service is slow, but has improved.  We stay home and are very bored. Stress levels are rising. 

On 6/12/2020 at 3:29 PM, Redtravel said:

In New Jersey which has been a hot spot for the virus. Still many new cases and deaths even though the numbers are decreasing. Governor did ease the stay at home order this week.  There are a few places open.  Mostly go out to get groceries, drugstore items, and essential things.  Dentist opened this week. Got a cleaning.  Everyone covered up like a spaceman.  Rather strange, but I felt safe.  Hair  nail salons can open at the end of June.  Doctors are doing televisits.  Weird, but better than nothing.  Lines to enter many stores. Often if the line is long, I leave and come back later.  Still some strange shortages.  Have not seen disinfectant wipes since a February.  Restaurants can only do take away. There is talk of reopening with outdoor table service.  Gyms are still closed.  Schools are closed. There is talk about reopening libraries and some retail soon. Curb side orders are a limited option.  Mail service is slow, but has improved.  We stay home and are very bored. Stress levels are rising. 

Hi Redtravel,

We are also in NJ right outside of of Cape May and Wildwood. It is pretty much business as usual here. No face coverings or social distancing on the boardwalks. When the weather was nice last week the beaches were crowded and it was hard to do social distancing on the beach. They are allowing open container drinking in many areas so that should add an interesting element! The non-essential businesses are about to reopen (limited capacity and face coverings) and outside dining. My husband works at a local tourist attraction, Sunset Beach mini golf and he said business was excellent this past Saturday but I don't think overall this will be a good summer for these merchants who make their living during the summer months. Hopefully the numbers of covid-19 will continue to to drop in NJ and things will continue to return to the "new: normal.

1 hour ago, kathy9 said:

Hi Redtravel,

We are also in NJ right outside of of Cape May and Wildwood. It is pretty much business as usual here. No face coverings or social distancing on the boardwalks. When the weather was nice last week the beaches were crowded and it was hard to do social distancing on the beach. They are allowing open container drinking in many areas so that should add an interesting element! The non-essential businesses are about to reopen (limited capacity and face coverings) and outside dining. My husband works at a local tourist attraction, Sunset Beach mini golf and he said business was excellent this past Saturday but I don't think overall this will be a good summer for these merchants who make their living during the summer months. Hopefully the numbers of covid-19 will continue to to drop in NJ and things will continue to return to the "new: normal.

Cape May has been less affected than other parts of NJ.  It has been mostly isolated from the virus until now.  Hope that the summer people don’t bring the virus to Cape May. We have rented in Cape May during the summer many years.   Wildwood has a huge beach.  If the Wildwood beach is crowded,  this may be the summer that we skip the beach.  We are trying to social distance.  Putting ourselves in crowded places makes me uncomfortable.  We are not renting this year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 8:08 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Well 6 weeks into this,  here in the Palm Springs area,  everything is pretty good.   Food produce. everything  but Paper towels and ammunition is plentiful.      Venturing out  is not a big deal  if you  wear a mask,  keep your distance and avoid crowds.    I would NOT use home delivery  as the x factor is  the person who brought it to you  and how many people they have mingled with .  As I see it going to the store is a better  deal because you can control the environment  not rely on someone else to.       

Food produce. everything  but Paper towels and ammunition is plentiful.   

As long that you have those : no problem........

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

In Scotland we just started opening restaurants, pubs and non essential shops a couple of weeks ago all still to be 2 metre distancing. We have to wear masks in shops etc. which I think is a good idea to help keep everyone safe.
My hubby is a driving instructor and he’s still not allowed to go back to work as there would be no social distancing.

Our Oceania cruise in April was cancelled as was our Prague city break. We decided to cancel our P&O October cruise and move it to October 2021. We booked another Oceania cruise from Barcelona next April with fingers crossed that it will go ahead.

keep safe everyone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My wife and I live in Burlington, Ontario... about 40 km west of Toronto. The Canadian response to the pandemic has been mostly one of compliance. Our provincial and municipal governments have declared that masks must be worn indoors and most are doing so without incident. Of course there will always be a few alt right deniers who complain that there rights are being infringed upon but fortunately, not nearly the proportion as we have been seeing in the US. Our infection and death numbers were decreasing considerably through the beginning of September, but now with kids going back to school, we have seen a small bump in the number of cases. 

Personally, we have been taking the pandemic very seriously. We pretty much kept to ourselves since the beginning venturing out only to the grocery store and pharmacy. Other than a few contractors for some home renovations, no one has been inside of our house since February. In June, we started entertaining one couple in a socially distanced manner on our backyard deck. We feel quite safe and have been streaming a lot of British murder mysteries and Scandinoir shows. In August, we felt safe enough to visit restaurant patios for dinner but kept our masks on constantly except when eating. My oh my how times have changed. 

In 2021, we are booked for a week in Jamaica in April, Oceania Baltic Sea cruise in July and lift and shifted our Mekong river cruise and trip to Australia, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Thailand to November. I am not overly optimistic about the first two going forward but have my fingers crossed that there will be a vaccine or at least instant screening to allow us to do our Asia trip. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here in Melbourne Australia we have been in a relatively tight lockdown for over 3 months. We are only allowed to leave home for 4 reasons (shopping, caregiving, limited exercise and essential workers). We are not allowed to travel more than 5 kilometres for shopping or exercise and must wear masks at all times when outside. We are currently not allowed any visitors at home but can meet up to 5 people from a maximum of 2 households outdoors. Non-essential shops are closed and restaurants/cafes can only serve takeaway. Things have stabilised recently and we are down to approximately 10 new COVID cases a day and not many deaths. Hopefully we will be able to see our kids and grandkids soon.

• Like 1

We're semi-normal here in NE Florida.  My wife and I were on the last Riviera cruise before the lock down.  Our cruise was shortened from 10 to 5 nights.  When we returned from Miami, we discovered that we had both contracted Covid-19.

My wife is convinced we got it on the ship.  I doubt it as the ship was cleaner than an operating room and only about 40% full.  But, who knows? Now we're looking to use our 150% FCC some time next year!

Edited by ricka47