Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How are things where YOU are?

1 minute ago, Keksie said:

Really.  For instance in NY bars and restaurants are only responsible for 1.4% of virus spread while private household gatherings are responsible for 74%.  

We have friends that died thinking indoor dining was safe.  Over 60 but otherwise in good health and not obese.  I will not take a chance.  

• Like 1

Just now, Cruise a holic said:

We have friends that died thinking indoor dining was safe.  Over 60 but otherwise in good health and not obese.  I will not take a chance.  

I am sorry about your friends.  Everyone has to make a decision about what risks to take in this life.  You stay home and we will go out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

We don't have a choice in California. The state is back to take out only. I don't know if bars did ever open up, (we don't visit) before we went in to lockdown again. And now it is kind of indefinitely. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Keksie said:

The science does not support the theory that restaurants are a cause of the majority of covid cases.   

Maybe not a majority...but simple logic would seem to dictate that any level of social (especially unmasked - like while eating) contact = greater risk of more cases. 

13 hours ago, Keksie said:

Restaurants are open here and as safe as shopping at a store.

What statistics do you have to support this other than a supposition? Doesn't make any sense unless the people shopping are unmasked like while eating in a restaurant. Sounds like you WANT restaurants to be safer, but likely aren't, unless seating is truly socially distanced enough. Here in PA several restaurants have recently been cited for non-compliance - a few right near me. I understand the issues surrounding our governor, but, is there any way we can start to pull together on all this rather than apart? If not, these types of discussions (and probably covid) will go on indefinitely. 

3 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

What statistics do you have to support this other than a supposition? Doesn't make any sense unless the people shopping are unmasked like while eating in a restaurant. Sounds like you WANT restaurants to be safer, but likely aren't, unless seating is truly socially distanced enough. Here in PA several restaurants have recently been cited for non-compliance - a few right near me. I understand the issues surrounding our governor, but, is there any way we can start to pull together on all this rather than apart? If not, these types of discussions (and probably covid) will go on indefinitely. 

I guess we can pull together in acknowledging that each person can weigh their own risk for activities and act accordingly.  You can stay home and not eat out we can go out and eat in restaurants.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

You can stay home and not eat out we can go out and eat in restaurants.  

Well, that statement seems to be indicative of a less than caring and considerate attitude, but..hey...if it works for you go for it. Assume whatever level of risk you want. But keep in mind that there is some validity to the old adage 'what goes around comes around'. Have fun. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Well, that statement seems to be indicative of a less than caring and considerate attitude, but..hey...if it works for you go for it. Assume whatever level of risk you want. But keep in mind that there is some validity to the old adage 'what goes around comes around'. Have fun. 

Ok.  Sounds good to me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Ok.  Sounds good to me.

Assuming you're far younger than I am, so the idea of taking on a degree of health risk is probably viewed on a different type of scale than how I might be looking on it. My mom is 98, in lockdown in an assisted living facility that just found out has covid in the building. I'm trying to stay safe so that one day - hopefully - I'll actually get to see her again since it's been almost a year. Same for my daughter, who I haven't seen in person since last New Year's Day since she's out of state.  The chance to get to see them and other family members is far more important to me than assuming the additional risk of eating in restaurants for the sake of being able to tell others that I've done so. Don't get me wrong - I miss it as much as the next person but am looking down the road moreso than the day to day. Ya know, we all have basically a very tenuous hold on life when you come right down to it. As we get older, more and more friends wind up in the ground. All that being said, I totally get the concept of not putting your life on hold. And certainly supporting the business establishments is admirable since they are hurting. But when I walk in the local hardware store and see employees and shoppers unmasked - in total violation of the guidelines, I'm ready to leave. It is the contentiousness and seemingly uncaring disregard to do what's best for all that bothers me. A restuarant owner in my hometown blatantly said for the local media that he simply will not stop indoor dining and then went on to boast that "we're jam packed every night". NOW...a few days after saying that he HAD to shut down indefinitely since there is covid in his family that help to run the restaurant. I personally know two famiiles that live within walking distance of me that ALL had covid and fortunately all survived. One is a colleague of mine whom I taught school with. The other is my hairdresser. Maybe this thing has just not come close enough to you to make a big enough impression. You did indicate in a previous post that you don't know anyone who has covid. It makes a difference in your outlook. 

What's most sad about this whole thing, however,  is that - for a certain segment of the populace - the desire to please and satisfy oneself despite whatever obstacles might exist - the "me first" attitude -  can easily supercede that of doing what just might be best so that people of ALL age groups might better get through this together with less loss of life and get to rejoin the activities that they enjoyed pre-covid. To think otherwise is just a display of selfishness. Just my opinion though - you're entitled to yours most certainly.

All I suggest is that you  might exhibit a bit more humility than saying things like "you stay home and we'll go out". 

Enjoy ALL the itme you have with your son, cause life is short. We're all "just passing through" as Stephen King says in "Hearts in Atlantis". You'll realize that increasingly so as you get older. And, yeah, mantle looks nice. Enjoy that too. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Assuming you're far younger than I am, so the idea of taking on a degree of health risk is probably viewed on a different type of scale than how I might be looking on it. My mom is 98, in lockdown in an assisted living facility that just found out has covid in the building. I'm trying to stay safe so that one day - hopefully - I'll actually get to see her again since it's been almost a year. Same for my daughter, who I haven't seen in person since last New Year's Day since she's out of state.  The chance to get to see them and other families is FAR more important to me than assuming the additional risk of eating in restaurants. I miss it as much as the next person but am looking down the road moreso than the day to day. Ya know, we all have basically a very tenuous hold on life when you come right down to it. As we get older, more and more friends wind up in the ground. All that being said, I totally get the concept of not putting your life on hold. And certainly supporting the business establishments is admirable since they are hurting. 

What's most sad about this whole thing, however,  is that - for a certain segment of the populace - the desire to please and satisfy oneself despite whatever obstacles might exist - the "me first" attitude -  can easily supercede that of doing what just might be best so that people of ALL age groups might better get through this together with less loss of life and get to rejoin the activities that they enjoyed pre-covid. To think otherwise is just a display of selfishness. Just my opinion though - you're entitled to yours most certainly.

Enjoy ALL the itme you have with your son, cause life is short. You'll realize that increasingly so as you get older. And, yeah, mantle looks nice. Enjoy that too. 

We are probably close to the same age.  My mother would have been 98 this year too.  I do enjoy time with my son.  That is the reason we moved to Florida to be closer to him.  

• Like 1

Just now, Keksie said:

That is the reason we moved to Florida to be closer to him.  

Sorry to hear that you no longer have your mom. I'm really scared about covid having gotten to the assisted living center. The staff has done a heck of a job thus far with no cases whatsoever. 

I envy you the closeness to your son! Maybe someday we'll have that. My daughter is in the final years of her PhD program about 6 hours away from us - typically would have gotten together a few times -  especially over Thanksgiving and Christmas but we all decided safest course of action was not to. It's heartbreaking though cause...well...you never know. They didn't want to deal with any hassles relative to quarantining associated with crossing state lines. Can't blame them. 

Oh well....have a great New Year's Day. Didn't mean to come on so strong but this is a very stressful time. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

. Oh well....have a great New Year's Day. Didn't mean to come on so strong but this is a very stressful time. 

I hope you have a wonderful New Year and get to see your loved ones soon.  It is a stressful time for everyone.

On 1/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, Keksie said:

It is a stressful time for everyone.

You got that right. Thanks for your kind words. Same right back at you!! My biggest concern right now is the (hopeful) control of covid in my Mom's assisted living center. Residents are confined to their rooms and meals are brought in. Bummer since my Mom doesn't even have any sort of table. Take care....

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so here's where I stand:

I work in a nursing home in Activities as an Assistant Director.  I am considered a frontline worker and have been working throughout the entire pandemic (as is Mom, who works in a hospital).  Right now, we have no visitors or entertainers for the residents.  Me and my Ukulele have become the de facto entertainers: I have been known to play my Ukulele in the hallways for the residents...right now, I'm working on learning a few Beatles tunes for them! FaceTime calls are the norm, along with window visits.  I'm in full PPE throughout the day, including N95 masks.  I am tested every single week, at a minimum...sometimes I have to be tested as often as 3 times a week.  I have now been COVID tested about 35 times since we shut down.

On a brighter note, I was able to get fully vaccinated through work...it's not much, but it's a start!

As far as outside of work, I am limited to just commuting between work and home, except for groceries (which my Dad does) and essential errands.  Masks are mandated in my state, or else you will face a fine of up to $1,000.  Restaurants are basically drive-thru and takeout only, this past summer they were open to half capacity or outdoor dining.  Stores are limited to half capacity, and have someone at the door monitoring numbers and face mask usage.

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

Ok so here's where I stand:

I work in a nursing home in Activities as an Assistant Director.  I am considered a frontline worker and have been working throughout the entire pandemic (as is Mom, who works in a hospital).  Right now, we have no visitors or entertainers for the residents.  Me and my Ukulele have become the de facto entertainers: I have been known to play my Ukulele in the hallways for the residents...right now, I'm working on learning a few Beatles tunes for them! FaceTime calls are the norm, along with window visits.  I'm in full PPE throughout the day, including N95 masks.  I am tested every single week, at a minimum...sometimes I have to be tested as often as 3 times a week.  I have now been COVID tested about 35 times since we shut down.

On a brighter note, I was able to get fully vaccinated through work...it's not much, but it's a start!

As far as outside of work, I am limited to just commuting between work and home, except for groceries (which my Dad does) and essential errands.  Masks are mandated in my state, or else you will face a fine of up to $1,000.  Restaurants are basically drive-thru and takeout only, this past summer they were open to half capacity or outdoor dining.  Stores are limited to half capacity, and have someone at the door monitoring numbers and face mask usage.

My husband is an educator and teaches on line.  We order all of our groceries and food deliveries on line.  We only go out for any medical appointments.  We now are "double" masking.  Fortunately, we both got one vaccine each and are scheduled for a second.

. I was working part time in my physician son's office- but have been staying home.  We are anxious to cruise- when it is safe again.  Many of my friends who are 65 and over, cannot get immunized.  They are online for hours waiting for an opening slot- but some, still are not successful.  Most  are willing to travel and wait on long lines,  but the system is still lacking resources.  We are all hopeful that things will be getting better very soon.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I work in a nursing home in Activities as an Assistant Director.  I am considered a frontline worker and have been working throughout the entire pandemic

My hat is off to you and all who work in a similar capacity. My Mom is a resident in an assisted living facility that managed to keep covid out of the building until just about 2 weeks ago. So far everything appears to be going well. Awaiting another update. I can't imagine how the front line staff has managed for close to a year now, not only where my Mom is of course, but all medical facilities and such that are coping with this. You have my deepest respect. It goes way beyond just coping with illness, but also - in the wake of having basically suspended the usual activity / entertainment schedule - having to get creative to find ways to still engage the residents in a lockdown situation and try to keep the morale up for both staff and residents. My Mom has been confined to her room for these past several weeks. They bring all the meals in to them. Haven't seen her (in person anyway) for probably the past 9 months or so. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Things here are fairly normal.  Masks in the stores and social distancing.  However, since May I have been getting my nails done, shopping in stores, visiting with friends, volunteering for an organization, going to restaurants for dine in and going to the beach.  I have gotten my first shot and I will get my second one in a week.  Everything is open and busy.

Good on ya for getting the shot. I'm in the 65+ group and suspect it'll be awhile yet here in PA. Slow process - too much so, unfortunately. I personally believe they should not yet have added the 65+ to the 1A group - simply too large a number of people with all the boomers in addition to 75+ and all the health care workers, teachers, etc. I would not even consider dining in any restaurant at this point yet, but that's just me. Haven't even done take-out for probably the last half-year or so. We go for medical appts. as needed, church, and grocery shopping. That's it. The recommendation is to stay home whenever possible, so we follow that advice. Do I like doing that? Of course not, but will await the vaccine prior to venturing out more. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

My husband is an educator and teaches on line.  We order all of our groceries and food deliveries on line.  We only go out for any medical appointments.

Similar to my response to 'broadwaybaby', my hat is ALSO off to your husband and all educators who have had to deal with this situation. I retired from public school teaching in '11 and simply can't imagine still being in there coping with either in-school or virtual. We experimented briefly with ordering groceries online but just found it so time consuming and also alot of what we wanted was not available. Didn't care for the idea of the store making arbitrary substitutions. Our local Redners has 'seniors and those at higher risk' shopping time starting at 6 a.m. so we set the alarm for 5:30 once a week and off we go. If you had told me a year ago I'd be doing something like this, let alone wearing a freakin' mask, I'd have laughed. As a friend of mine said awhile back, "dinner is the highlight of the day". My wife, in retrospect, has said she should have been keeping a log of all the new recipes she found and that we have tried. Would LOVE to go back out to a restaurant again...and likely will once the vaccine comes around. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Things here are fairly normal. 

In FL....Approx. 8300 new covid cases per day, nearly 1.7 million cases overall, nearly 26,000 deaths - which is the 4th highest in the US. Sounds perfectly "normal" to me (?)  

Edited by OnTheJourney