The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

14 hours ago, CharTrav said:

really???? Those phones are their "memory"! Enter your cabin number and .. altho I was never so bold as to ask to see .. am sure that what pops up on their "phone" is your picture and name .. And of course, there's also their phenomenal ability to remember your name sans phone helper too!

Affirmative, photos and names are provided and they can also recall all previous drinks ordered.

In the MDR, the host/hostess requests your cabin number (by day 2 he had ours memorised), then they enter it in the system to the assigned table, so the section waiter/waitress knows your name and any preferences. It is amazing to be welcomed at the table by name, by an employee you have not yet met.😀

Another difference with SSBP - when dining, the regular glasses are removed and you are provided a different shape glass (red/white) so the Wait staff don't automatically top up glasses with the regular wines. 

16 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, photos and names are provided and they can also recall all previous drinks ordered.

In the MDR, the host/hostess requests your cabin number (by day 2 he had ours memorised), then they enter it in the system to the assigned table, so the section waiter/waitress knows your name and any preferences. It is amazing to be welcomed at the table by name, by an employee you have not yet met.😀

Another difference with SSBP - when dining, the regular glasses are removed and you are provided a different shape glass (red/white) so the Wait staff don't automatically top up glasses with the regular wines. 

How does it go in the buffet/cafe? Does SSBP do you any good there?

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

How does it go in the buffet/cafe? Does SSBP do you any good there?

In the World Cafe, they had staff with the regular red/white wines. If you requested an SSBP wine/beer they requested your cabin number, at least until they remembered it. Didn't use WC too often, so not sure if the wine glasses were different. After a few visits, as we always used the same side, our favourite Wine Steward - Nelson  would just bring DW her Chardonnay and an IPA for me.

On the couple of times we had dinner in the WC, if we finished with a glass of 6-Grapes Port, they always sent a Busboy to one of the bars that had a stock.

Most of the time in WC you get the "special" glasses.  Occasionally not but you can get the upgraded wine choices.  Also bar service available from Aquavit Bar.  SSBP works there same as anywhere else. 🍸

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Does SSBP get you a discount on bottles of wine ordered?  Do they have Petrus stocked? 😉

If I remember correctly, there is a discount on bottles and pours over a certain price -- and there is a gap between between the $15 cap and where the discount begins. Finding the details of the package  on the website has never been easy.

31 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Does SSBP get you a discount on bottles of wine ordered?  Do they have Petrus stocked? 😉

Yes, a discount on the extra cost wines.  Don't remember Petrus, someone else might remember.  We had a favorite Valpolicella that we would order.  When we got home I went looking for it at Total Wine.  Amazingly Viking was selling the exact same Valpolicella to us onboard  for the same price as Total Wine.  Hard to not like that.🍷

I must say, I have missed a great deal. I done purchase the SSBP. I am a wine lover.I do not like the taste of hard alcohol. As my dearly departed said. I like girlie drinks and I have no ability to hold down more than one drink.

I order a drink and it will last hours. 

I enjoy a good IPA, every now and them. We have a great deal of really good brew houses in Colorado.

Glad to see everyone enjoying the lounge.

• Like 1

Sitting here at the fireplace sipping a Viking Royale, wouldn't you know thoughts drift to what cruise next?  I bet lots are having the same thoughts.  We have loved being aboard for extended periods and could happily move onboard permanently if that pesky Lottery would stop avoiding me.  Still, with the world the way it is, it is probably best to wait it out and see what we are left with as far as the cruise industry.  One trip we would probably book would be, if offered, a no segment world cruise.  Segmented cruises are just back to back cruises.  A WC is supposed to be more special.  Oh well, a thought for another day.  Time for a refill.....😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Sitting here at the fireplace sipping a Viking Royale, wouldn't you know thoughts drift to what cruise next?  I bet lots are having the same thoughts.  We have loved being aboard for extended periods and could happily move onboard permanently if that pesky Lottery would stop avoiding me.  Still, with the world the way it is, it is probably best to wait it out and see what we are left with as far as the cruise industry.  One trip we would probably book would be, if offered, a no segment world cruise.  Segmented cruises are just back to back cruises.  A WC is supposed to be more special.  Oh well, a thought for another day.  Time for a refill.....😎

Sun's not over the yardarm yet, so we are sitting in the lounge sipping tea. 😁

We have experience of a Viking ship with 8 pax, so if they will do a no-segment WC with 4, where do we sign up.🥂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:51 AM, photopro2 said:

Hello hqarang,

It is lovely up here in the lounge isn’t it. I know that Viking’s focus is on the destination but I must admit I am here for the journey with the destination as a bonus.

The question that you ask is on a bit of a sensitive subject and I do hope it won't prompt any raised voices in here. So, let’s take our drinks over to the alcove on the port side, grab a seat on the sofa and have a quiet chat just between ourselves……

The cruise you have planned may well go ahead without a hitch but there is also a possibility of course that it may be changed to some extent or even cancelled. 

Viking have really no more idea what is going to be possible next year than we have at this stage and it’s unlikely that things will be a great more certain in August. As long as there is a reasonable chance of the cruise going ahead it seems fair that Viking should require the balance of payment as originally agreed, on the assumption that everything will work out as planned. As far as I know, that is what they are still doing. In the event that they do cancel the cruise at any point then the refund/voucher option obviously kicks in.

We were booked to travel in April 21 but decided to rebook the same cruise for August 21 to give just a little longer for things to settle down. The process was easy and our balance of payment date has been moved later accordingly. I don’t know your circumstances of course but you might want to consider doing likewise which could push back your balance of payment date to a point when things will hopefully have become somewhat clearer.

I trust that helped – but, as with so much in life, this is largely out of our control...... so for now let’s not spoil the one life we have with fruitless worries and just lean back into the reindeer skin, relishing our drinks as we gaze out across the blue and sparkling ocean. 

Thanks Photopro2

Sipping a gin martini with three olives in the  Explorer Lounge this  evening in the North.  Nightfall is now at last call for many of us in mid June. 

Having been the center of the whirlwind for the last  three weeks, I can report that  we are all safe and sound, moving  to  the hopeful  path forward  with a Governor and deep state roots in reform from the early part of the  last century: for BLM  today. 

Cheers to all  this very fine evening from Minnesota, USA.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

It is late, the lounge is almost empty., I like it. I have a drink with more melted ice than alcohol. I really don't like the taste of alcohol, this single malt taste better with a bit more water from the ice.

Oh well! I am in awe of the gentle waves and the stars which seem to follow the ship as it glides across the water.

I want to get up and head to my stateroom, I can't seem to move, I am so relax and it is so peaceful. I can't seem to remember the next port of call, not that it matters. This ship is my destination. The company, the comfort, the amazing service. I may just sit here all night and sleep all day tomorrow.  

I hear giggles. I look around to see a couple in the corner sitting on the sofa completely absorbed in each other. how nice. They notice my and smile, their happiness seems to fill the room.  

I think I will retire now. I will order breakfast and dine on the veranda as I watch the ship slip into port. A nap, lunch in the Restaurant and back to the lounge my favorite place on the ship.

Goodnight.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2020 at 11:30 PM, hqarangrsl said:

Thanks Photopro2

You are very welcome and I don't think anyone overheard what we were talking about. I do hope that no-one thought that it was us giggling on the sofa though - DW would not approve 😉 

28 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

You are very welcome and I don't think anyone overheard what we were talking about. I do hope that no-one thought that it was us giggling on the sofa though - DW would not approve 😉 

Again, what happens in Explorers stays in Explorers...😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Wow! Did you see the little sailboat hit the side of our ship? What a wacko. Zoltan, may I please have another martini.🍸

Probably testing the rule that sailboats have the right-of-way over power boats. 🙄

14 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Wow! Did you see the little sailboat hit the side of our ship? What a wacko. Zoltan, may I please have another martini.🍸

Jim - that close call requires at least 2 martinis 😁🥂

• Like 2

I will never do this justice. You guys can fix it up all shipshape and Bristol fashion when you repeat it.

Setting a foggy night. Skipper of a ship receives a message over the radio. "Skipper of oncoming ship, bear xx° to starboard." Skipper ignores the call. Call is repeated once or twice until finally the skipper gets on the radio and replies, "The is the skipper of the aircraft carrier YYYYY and we aren't changing course." Next voice the skipper hears, "This is the lighthouse...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Time to exercise more than our elbows...

A boat has a metal ladder hanging down the side into the water, and its rungs are 1 foot apart. If the tide rises at 1 foot per hour and there are now FOUR rungs showing, when does the tide reach the top of the ladder?

Be nice. Don't rush to reply before other have gotten a change to read.

While I am at it, could some one please tell me if it is legal for a man to marry his widow's sister?

12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Time to exercise more than our elbows...

A boat has a metal ladder hanging down the side into the water, and its rungs are 1 foot apart. If the tide rises at 1 foot per hour and there are now FOUR rungs showing, when does the tide reach the top of the ladder?

Be nice. Don't rush to reply before other have gotten a change to read.

While I am at it, could some one please tell me if it is legal for a man to marry his widow's sister?

You left out "What does a ship weigh before it leaves port?"

40 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You left out "What does a ship weigh before it leaves port?"

What is the presumption here? That the ship is underway with bouancy changing as fuel is consumed and weight decreases.  Or that the ship is at anchor? The question doesn't include that data point. 

Re the man's widow question - that question is nonsensical. If a man has a widow it means he's dead and incapable of marrying anybody.