The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Back to the laundry discussion, there was one thing that really amused us as we pondered the reasoning.  There were several piles of washed and folded clothes left in the laundry room with a free sign.  Did the owners buy too many things along the way?  Did they gain too much weight to wear them again?  Or were they sick to death of wearing them over and over on the world cruise?  I added some items to the piles for all 3 reasons.  We learned that the clothes are donated in less fortunate countries, not just tossed out.  That's the Viking way, isn't it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jazmyn49 said:

Back to the laundry discussion, there was one thing that really amused us as we pondered the reasoning.  There were several piles of washed and folded clothes left in the laundry room with a free sign.  Did the owners buy too many things along the way?  Did they gain too much weight to wear them again?  Or were they sick to death of wearing them over and over on the world cruise?  I added some items to the piles for all 3 reasons.  We learned that the clothes are donated in less fortunate countries, not just tossed out.  That's the Viking way, isn't it?

Or maybe they had bought things for climates they would be visiting that they would not need at home?

And yes, I think that donating the items does fit with Viking's philosophy.

that goes into a different pile Peregrina :)!   I am always afraid of leaving something in the dryer...I am vertically challenged and can NOT see the back of dryer!!

3 minutes ago, deec said:

that goes into a different pile Peregrina :)!   I am always afraid of leaving something in the dryer...I am vertically challenged and can NOT see the back of dryer!!

That’s what Pat is for.😎

True...but finding him is always the issue!!!   So many bars....so many photos to take!!  Included laundry was such a perk on the WC.  I guess on that first world cruise Viking had NO idea how much laundry we could generate or how much Sauvignon Blanc, Baileys, some beers we could consume!!!  Viking stopped including free laundry for everyone but continued to find great liquor substitutes.

Jim, on your second WC did they run out of some things?

Edited by deec

Just to add re clothes - on the TA from Puerto Rico to Barcelona in 2018, many folks arrived on the ship without their luggage (it was the time of the "Beast from the East" in the UK and also bad storms over Canada/NE US and many flights were delayed, diverted etc etc.  The folks that sailed from PR without luggage were told bags would catch up with them at St Maarten but sadly we sailed right on by ..... rough seas prevented docking.   Even worse was the 30 or so folk who missed the ship's departure in PR but were flown by Viking to St Maarten to join the ship ......... 

We met a couple we knew on board and she had her luggage but he didn't have any of his but Viking kitted him out from a "wardrobe" they keep.  So I presume this is where some of the clothes "abandoned" in the laundry room end up.  He was happy enough - well you don't need much on sea days!  

11 hours ago, deec said:

I have the same challenge. I use a lingerie bag to help keep track of the small things -- and makes them easier to fetch out of the back of the dryer drum. A step stool would be helpful (but then again, a huge liability, so I can understand why V hasn't already supplied them).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I have the same challenge. I use a lingerie bag to help keep track of the small things -- and makes them easier to fetch out of the back of the dryer drum. A step stool would be helpful (but then again, a huge liability, so I can understand why V hasn't already supplied them).

We are on the Orion Bali to Sydney that departed Bali on 08 December 2019 and there was a small step stool stool in the laundry room.  At least the one on Deck 5 anyway.  It made finding those "lost someplace in the back of the drum" items easier to rescue.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vslparis said:

We are on the Orion Bali to Sydney that departed Bali on 08 December 2019 and there was a small step stool stool in the laundry room.  At least the one on Deck 5 anyway.  It made finding those "lost someplace in the back of the drum" items easier to rescue.

There was one on Deck 6 also during our Beijing to Hong Kong cruise in October 2019. 

Being vertically gifted rather than challenged, my issue is getting things out of the lower washer.  Wish they had a ditch for me to step into. LOL

• Like 2

On 7/25/2020 at 9:56 AM, Heidi13 said:

Dee - best guess of why the Sun is being replaced by the Star is that the Sun is scheduled for drydocking in 2022 for her 1st Special Survey. Can only assume that Viking were unable to schedule the D/D outside the WC dates.

Makes sense Andy.  "My Guy" at Viking confirms Star is to have some enhancements for the December 24, 2021 WC.  Depending on what the fine print comes out to be we are planning to go on the Star WC. 🍺

• Like 2

WOW..JIM..3 WCs...I guess #2 was still beyond wonderful even with all the segments!  Just don't get a furry friend in the meantime!!!

Edited by deec

5 minutes ago, deec said:

WOW..JIM..3 WCs...I guess #2 was still beyond wonderful even with all the segments!  Just don't get a furry friend in the meantime!!!

Hope to see y'all there too.  We still miss our fur baby and are not ready to go there again yet.  Haven't booked yet but really want to move back onboard our other home.😎

3 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Makes sense Andy.  "My Guy" at Viking confirms Star is to have some enhancements for the December 24, 2021 WC.  Depending on what the fine print comes out to be we are planning to go on the Star WC. 🍺

Way to go Jim. Really liked the itinerary, but just too early for Judi & I. Depending on how my dad is doing, we are tentatively thinking of 2025 give or take a year.

Looking forward to your excellent reports.

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

There was one on Deck 6 also during our Beijing to Hong Kong cruise in October 2019. 

Being vertically gifted rather than challenged, my issue is getting things out of the lower washer.  Wish they had a ditch for me to step into. LOL

True ! There are pluses and minuses to each “vertical” situation.  I would be willing to put up with no step-stool if we could just get back to sailing soon 😩

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Looks like we will be joining you!  We just made a provisional booking!!  I am so excited. Now I need a house/dog sitter for nearly five months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Looks like we will be joining you!  We just made a provisional booking!!  I am so excited. Now I need a house/dog sitter for nearly five months.

Great news!  Hey, if Karine can bring Finse onboard you should be able to bring yours too.🍸

Our parents are gone, so that’s an obstacle we don’t face.  But next year we advance into our 70s and a big trip like this hits so many must do places.  And we only have one transatlantic flight, which is a big plus.  As expensive as it is, we figure this is the equivalent of six shorter cruises we might take, and with international business airfare so expensive, it actually saves us a lot of money compared to those six cruises.  The deals Viking is offering are good right now, and we did the provisional booking because there were only three cabins left In our preferred category. We got one we liked.  Somehow or another, we will find a sitter or make other arrangements for the dog to stay with someone.  We haven’t put the money down yet and have until Aug. 4.  But it is looking like we will go for it!

I always tell everyone who asks don't put off doing things you want.  There is always some reason why not to.  We are so glad we went on the trips we did.  We are usually later bookers.  On the Inaugural, we booked like 6 months from sailing.  One thing I have learned about Viking is that the "one cabin left" listed on the website changes often.  You list lots of the same reasons we have gone on two of them.  We never ever thought such a thing possible when young but there you go.  Some good things about getting older.  The itinerary really is great and you can ask Andy about his spread sheet comparing costs.  We absolutely love calling a Viking ship "home" for a chunk of a year.  And prior to the Inaugural, our longest cruise was two weeks.  Really hope we see y'all onboard. 🍸

• Like 1