The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

I always tell everyone who asks don't put off doing things you want.  There is always some reason why not to.  We are so glad we went on the trips we did.  We are usually later bookers.  On the Inaugural, we booked like 6 months from sailing.  One thing I have learned about Viking is that the "one cabin left" listed on the website changes often.  You list lots of the same reasons we have gone on two of them.  We never ever thought such a thing possible when young but there you go.  Some good things about getting older.  The itinerary really is great and you can ask Andy about his spread sheet comparing costs.  We absolutely love calling a Viking ship "home" for a chunk of a year.  And prior to the Inaugural, our longest cruise was two weeks.  Really hope we see y'all onboard. 🍸

Yes, the cabins will change.  We like our cabin, but it is on the port side.  We are on our WC agent’s list for a starboard cabin if one opens.  We relive our 2019 every day we are staying home and bored.  This cruise just gives me hope!  

• Like 2

On 7/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Jim Avery said:

Makes sense Andy.  "My Guy" at Viking confirms Star is to have some enhancements for the December 24, 2021 WC.  Depending on what the fine print comes out to be we are planning to go on the Star WC. 🍺

The 5 year upgrade did not include adding drawers in the closet.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Looks like we will be joining you!  We just made a provisional booking!!  I am so excited. Now I need a house/dog sitter for nearly five months.

It looks like we will be joining you too!  What enhancements are they planning for the Star for the WC?

17 hours ago, Dauntless said:

The 5 year upgrade did not include adding drawers in the closet.

I have to say that without those drawers 4 months would have been less comfortable.  Also, the individual controls for the heated floor in the bath on Sun and later would be missed.  The smaller gym added in and the Star is a potential deal breaker as the World Cruise ship.  Time will tell.  My Guy says he is bringing up these points at the next management meeting.  Who knows.🍺

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 1

and Jim...since we originally brought these shortcomings to the forefront Viking should give all of us a free voyage and we would be great ambassadors and cheerleaders. 🙂

• Like 1

So many memories.  Interesting the ship shown often has no "name" on it.  Once it did say Star...photo shop was their friend!  If you can go "do it". The itinerary looks wonderful!!!!

1 hour ago, deec said:

So many memories.  Interesting the ship shown often has no "name" on it.  Once it did say Star...photo shop was their friend!  If you can go "do it". The itinerary looks wonderful!!!!

I know those who have done the world cruise don't like segments, but that's the only way I could afford it.  Maybe I will buy a lottery ticket too.  🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Very much so, followed by Paul Gauguin this morning. Methinks that we may not see anyone cruising before there is a vaccine. 

You may be correct, Clay.  It is possible to contain an outbreak and prevent further infections, but the measures are not simple.  I live in a retirement community with a wide range of housing options - everything from single family homes to apartments to memory care.  Because we do have extremely fragile residents, when COVD appeared in our county, we went in to lockdown with masks required by all and temp checks plus exposure questions asked whenever we enter our public areas.  We just had our first positive staff member who was in contact with 4 residents.  All wore masks with sanitizing measures in effect.  The four residents went into a 2 week quarantine, and none of them were infected.  A cruise ship doesn't have that kind of control over who is boarding the ship, where they came from, and who they might have been exposed to on a flight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeriGail said:

You may be correct, Clay.  It is possible to contain an outbreak and prevent further infections, but the measures are not simple.  I live in a retirement community with a wide range of housing options - everything from single family homes to apartments to memory care.  Because we do have extremely fragile residents, when COVD appeared in our county, we went in to lockdown with masks required by all and temp checks plus exposure questions asked whenever we enter our public areas.  We just had our first positive staff member who was in contact with 4 residents.  All wore masks with sanitizing measures in effect.  The four residents went into a 2 week quarantine, and none of them were infected.  A cruise ship doesn't have that kind of control over who is boarding the ship, where they came from, and who they might have been exposed to on a flight.

surprised the facility didn't go into complete lockdown as they did at my father-in-law's place (Maryland).  NO Resident went anywhere in the facilities -- not even into public areas. All meals were delivered outside their doors.  There were no incidents of infection anywhere in the facility. They have only recently lifted those restrictions to the extent that finally my husband (and no more than 2 others) can visit him (masks of course); I don't know if the general dining area & public areas have been re-opened altho I think the beauty parlor has been (with suitable precautions).  To date -- they have maintained a state of no infections.  This is also a facility of single family homes through memory care apartments. Father-in-law lives in an independent apartment in the single main building.

Re Viking -- I'll be happy if they take the slow cautious approach and not be overly eager to get going again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

That the big one!

That's what bugs me about the CDC's focus on cruise ships.  They don't look at airlines and airlines aren't required to disclose infections.  You're much more likely to pick up something with 8 hours on a plane sitting shoulder to shoulder with others.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That the big one!

oops, I missed a few letter there. THAT'S the big one!

13 hours ago, JeriGail said:

That's what bugs me about the CDC's focus on cruise ships.  They don't look at airlines and airlines aren't required to disclose infections.  You're much more likely to pick up something with 8 hours on a plane sitting shoulder to shoulder with others.

Right. Pick it up on the plane, two weeks later you come down with something and the ship gets the blame. And not just Covid.

I don't want to stop flying. There is still too much of the world that I want to see. So I am really hoping that they can figure this all out.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 2

Oh, no.  The scary thing is that the Star crew member had a negative test, was quarantined on the Star for 10 days, had another negative test, and then started work.  After he started to feel ill, another test came up positive.  There must have been an asymptomatic carrier on the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Oh, no.  The scary thing is that the Star crew member had a negative test, was quarantined on the Star for 10 days, had another negative test, and then started work.  After he started to feel ill, another test came up positive.  There must have been an asymptomatic carrier on the ship.

Or a false negative test ?