The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

53 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

We had no idea that they were for sale, certainly on the shopping list on the next trip. I really agree with all you say and join you in prayers for everyone at Viking, on and off shore.

Contemplating Viking swag, is there anywhere besides the Helly Hansen website (for Viking clothing) to buy products? This is obviously not Viking's chief source of revenue, but I suspect there may be many who would be willing to shell out a few bob to buy some Viking momentos. I am going to send an email to tellus.

• Like 1

Ah Newhaven. Our favourite restaurant is there. A tiny little place run by a husband and wife. We sit in the window if we can get that table and watch the tenders coming in and long line for buses. 

The Sun is the ship we were last on and we loved it. Surprised you had to BYOB though! Asda shopping isn't very exciting although they are a friendly bunch at that branch. 

Oh to be in the Explorer Lounge! Civilised and comfortable without being in the least pretentious. It's the Orion that we're supposed to be on in July but 'ah hae ma doots'. 😢

Edited by Nippy Sweetie

Hello to all.

After following several VO boards and roll calls, I felt it time to come out of the shadows and crash the party.

Joined CC recently and am a newbie to Viking, though have river cruised with another line and cruised with Paul Gauguin.  I was somewhat reluctant to book on Viking but, based on a dear friend’s strong recommendation, in early Jan of this year selected AU/NZ on the Orion for Jan 2021.  The Orion seems like a big ship to us!  And then we watched the doo-doo hit the oscillating unit . . .

But, as mentioned above, following the boards and other roll calls has made it clear I made the right decision.  So many lovely people and Viking loyals!  And I’ve learned so much, e.g., how to run the appliances; not to miss foods and drinks; secrets of the ship and shore excursions, etc.  Thank you all! 

Since I have no Viking expertise to offer, I appreciate this particular board because of the community vibe, and will soak in the views and commentary until I have the opportunity to experience it myself next January.

And an awesome bloody mary for me (another thing I learned on one of the boards) and a Bailey’s and coffee for husband, please.

Stay well, and thx for letting me tag along.

• Like 2

Is there room (and a Hendricks and tonic) for one more?  

After making it back to NC last week after our half-transatlantic we have been trying to get our new (to us) condo set up. Sorta hard when trying to socially distance and not spend much money. We rely on our stock holdings to pay the bills so the last several weeks have been a bit stressful. Just happy we are healthy and we do recognize that we are lucky to have what we have when so many are struggling to have anything.

I’m gonna step out on the bow facing balcony and enjoy the breeze-come join me or I’ll see you in a few when I come back inside.  

Oh, what time is “Name that Tune?”

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Travelswithmycamera said:

As you can see from my profile name my camera is never far from my hands!

Your sundowner image is great, what equipment do you use?

I guess I had better live up to my profile name too, as you did so first 🙂 So here is one of my favourite Explorers' Lounge shots. I was very tempted to photoshop out the green "Exit" sign but it is meant to be there so left it in.

C-40small.jpg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I’m gonna step out on the bow facing balcony and enjoy the breeze-come join me or I’ll see you in a few when I come back inside.  

Welcome Clay - this shot is for you!

I am always surprised how few people there are on the balcony during sail-in. We love to watch the landscape evolve as we come towards land and into harbour. It does often mean an early start but a self serve coffee from the bar and views like this one (taken while heading in to St. Martin) mean that it is usually worth missing an hours sleep for. 

P1070473small copy.jpg

Edited by photopro2
repeated word
  • Like 4

The only time I’ve seen it well used (over used in fact) was our midnight passing of the Rock of Gibraltar in March 2018. Both it and the Explorer’s Lounge were packed.  Unfortunately it was a cloudy night so we couldn’t see much but everyone had a good time trying!

deec attempted to work her way down the Explorers Lounge Bar cocktail menu, one drink at a time — NOT all in one sitting!  Of course the Inaugural World Cruise in 2018 offered many nights to accomplish this feat.  The Bartenders also had specials that they concocted and you had to know to ask for them. HoneyBunny made a super fantastic EXPRESSO MARTINI, shown in the picture. He infused vodka with coffee, mostly filling a jar with beans from the Lobby Bar (better whole coffee beans there) and let the booze soak up flavor for a number (3?) of days. This custom flavored vodka became the base liquor. Total ingredients, from a very important note in his own handwriting:  2 shots of expresso infused vodka; 1 shot of Kahula; Half shot of Botteja Grandulia (Dark Chocolate Botteja).   Ahhh, fond memories of one of our favorite spots afloat!

704569BA-8C1C-431F-907A-9FE8DC5E5805.jpeg

• Like 2

Having a nice gin martini, two olives, as I relax in a perfect chair nearby,,  amazing  that anywhere on a Viking ship the water /sky  is always visible.

The pictures of sunset, sunrise and water lift my spirts  this evening.

Each day is a gift even when one is staying  at home  for another 14 days per our governor 's  request in my land locked state of Minnesota. 

Only staying in for 14 days? We're stuck in for 12 weeks! Only 5 days in now and the thought of the next few months is awful. 

It's good to remember our time on the Viking Sun and our future booking on the Orion - doubt it'll be July this year though. 

I'm mentally in the Explorers lounge looking out at Stavanger. We'd quite unexpectedly loved Norway.