The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

Clay, I definitely agree. I think many people have moved to the conversation on that other social media site, leaving CC high and very, very dry. We have never had a huge audience and now it is even smaller and has even less participation.

So, what can we do to stir the pot?? It is time to get past the whining and wailing and back to business.

LET'S GET BACK TO TALKING SHIP!!!

I started a general thread for our Hong Kong-Tokyo trip and got a few responses. I posted in all of the roll calls past and present that I could find asking folks to join us. Not bad for an itinerary that has sailed only a handful of times. I larded the opening post with leading questions. Sometime this week I will add more "new" information and ask a few more questions.  My hope is to collect as much commentary about the various tours that Viking offers as possible. I had started one for Galapagos/Peru but it kind of died when they pulled the entire itinerary.☹️

There are 14 of us following this thread. What if each one of us started a thread and then just kept an eye on that one thread, adding new information, nudging the conversation? If you can't think of a topic for ongoing Viking specific conversation, steal my idea. I stole the idea from someone else. Yes, Jim, I know, it's work.

No one is going to do it if we don't.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Clay, I definitely agree. I think many people have moved to the conversation on that other social media site, leaving CC high and very, very dry. We have never had a huge audience and now it is even smaller and has even less participation.

So, what can we do to stir the pot?? It is time to get past the whining and wailing and back to business.

I started a general thread for our Hong Kong-Tokyo trip and got a few responses. I posted in all of the roll calls past and present that I could find asking folks to join us. Not bad for an itinerary that has sailed only a handful of times. I larded the opening post with leading questions. Sometime this week I will add more "new" information and ask a few more questions.  My hope is to collect as much commentary about the various tours that Viking offers as possible. I had started one for Galapagos/Peru but it kind of died when they pulled the entire itinerary.☹️

There are 14 of us following this thread. What if each one of us started a thread and then just kept an eye on that one thread, adding new information, nudging the conversation? If you can't think of a topic for ongoing Viking specific conversation, steal my idea. I stole the idea from someone else. Yes, Jim, I know, it's work.

I just saw  your thread and am following it.  Our plan, after the 2022 WC, is to use the remainder of our voucher on the Far East & Alaska (Hong Kong to Vancouver).  I should be researching more of the WC ports, but is it ever too early to research anywhere you want to travel?

Though not a past Viking cruiser, we do have one to Alaska booked and paid for coming in June, so I’ll chime in.

Make sure to rebook your Galapagos cruise when they open up.  Our Galapagos cruise on Celebrity Xpedition was our favorite cruise by far.  We have sailed all the lux lines, in the caribbean and europe, but the Galapagos beat them all, hands down.  The Xpedition is a great, all-inclusive small ship.  Galapagos had it all, adventure, incredible scenery, wildlife, etc.  From rough zodiac landings, to frigate birds dropping sea-lion afterbirth on us, to blue-footed boobies squabbling at our feet, to incredible cool-water snorkeling.  And Xpedition put on the best fresh seafood BBQ ever!

I don’t think it matters much which line you use, but get there!

(However the pax from the National Geographic scow that we ran across occasionally seemed rather dour.  Maybe then had pebbles in their birkenstocks...)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Morning all!   Came up for a cup of coffee and a waffle (no brown cheese please).   Join me if you’d like.  

I’ve decided that in addition to all the other issues we face because of Lady Corona’s visit (doesn’t she know a proper guest doesn’t stay this long) I am upset because these boards aren’t just active enough anymore.  

Back in the old days, I could keep my sanity Between cruises by living vicariously through other people’s cruises or relive my good memories by sharing tips and hints for folks headed to places we have visited.  Now, all we have is the occasional post about a refund (and even those have slowed to a trickle since most have been paid I presume).  

So instead of enjoying my time on CruiseCritic, I find myself obsessing over the upcoming election. Thank goodness I can at least volunteer to assist with that effort but it’s not exactly as fun or relaxing as obsessing over Viking’s newest itinerary! LOL

Hi Clay

I’ll have your brown cheese please.  We believe our excursions will be available to view tomorrow for our Northern Lights Feb 14th 2021 so it will be nice to savour the cheese while we spend a happy half day perusing what we may do.  Fingers very tightly crossed.  We just volunteered to be in the latest vaccine trials, but may not be chosen.  

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Peregrina I have a ship talk idea. I would like to hear from those who sailed on Mr Hagen’s Royal Viking Line, considered some of the very best available at the time. Similarities and differences to Viking Oceans.🍸

3 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don’t think it matters much which line you use, but get there!

As soon as Viking announces we will be booking.

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Peregrina I have a ship talk idea.

So start a thread in the Viking Oceans forum and see what you can find out.

3 hours ago, Lilyskittymom said:

I just saw  your thread and am following it.

Don't just follow it! Ask questions! I'm sure there are many more to be asked than are rattling around in my brain.

Clay (and Friends),

I have to agree about how much I have missed Cruise Critic. I guess I didn't realize how much of my spare time was spent looking for future cruises, researching our our next cruise, and just generally browsing here. At this point I think maybe I even miss the recurring dress code threads. (Well, maybe not....)

We still have one river ( Lyon & Provence 9/7/2020) and one ocean cruise (Athens to Venice 10/8/2021). However, the river cruise I have already researched quite a bit, and the other one still feels too far away to consider. Add in the doubts about when we will resume cruising at all, and it seems a little bleak.

Last night around dinner time I asked my husband whether he wanted to go to the World Cafe or the Chef's Table for dinner. That drew a small chuckle before a big sigh. 

Even though I consider it a most important issue, If I see one more board showing the path to 270 I think my head will explode! I could use some inspiration about other ways to keep my mind off real life. Thanks, friends.

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

BOOKS!!! (and audiobooks that keep your brain busy while your hands are working).

Since I was old enough to walk to the library by myself, I don't think I have ever been without a book on my nightstand. Right now there are four. Instead of running out to buy toilet paper, the first place I went when the original lockdown was announced was our local library! Mysteries, thrillers, historical fiction, with an occasional dose of fantasy are my genres of choice.

I also have a jigsaw puzzle going at all times, and have learned to play mahjong with a group of friends online. 

Still, traveling is my favorite thing to do. Especially when I can spare some time to read on board!

Edited by lackcreativity

12 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Morning all!   Came up for a cup of coffee and a waffle (no brown cheese please).   Join me if you’d like.  

I’ve decided that in addition to all the other issues we face because of Lady Corona’s visit (doesn’t she know a proper guest doesn’t stay this long) I am upset because these boards aren’t just active enough anymore.  

Back in the old days, I could keep my sanity Between cruises by living vicariously through other people’s cruises or relive my good memories by sharing tips and hints for folks headed to places we have visited.  Now, all we have is the occasional post about a refund (and even those have slowed to a trickle since most have been paid I presume).  

So instead of enjoying my time on CruiseCritic, I find myself obsessing over the upcoming election. Thank goodness I can at least volunteer to assist with that effort but it’s not exactly as fun or relaxing as obsessing over Viking’s newest itinerary! LOL

Clay - you should check out the very active Roll Call for the Viking Sea November 2021 Barcelona to San Juan cruise:

Viking Sea - November 29, 2021 - Barcelona to San Juan - Page 7 - Viking Sea Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

I think you've cruised this one in the opposite direction, right?  Several of us are coming in 3 or 4 days early and are looking for restaurant and hotel recommendations.

While eating Success Cake, I was reading this which might be of interest to World Cruisers or Asia/Australia cruisers in the future.  Glad we went to Komodo on the Inaugural WC and had the skinny teenagers with sticks to keep the Dragons off us.😱

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54701239

• Like 3

On 10/26/2020 at 3:32 PM, kcpvwill said:

Hi Clay

I’ll have your brown cheese please.  We believe our excursions will be available to view tomorrow for our Northern Lights Feb 14th 2021 so it will be nice to savour the cheese while we spend a happy half day perusing what we may do.  Fingers very tightly crossed.  We just volunteered to be in the latest vaccine trials, but may not be chosen.  

I’m sure they will give you some extra if you ask!

i had volunteered for a trial here (was supposed to get the first shot tomorrow) but decided to drop out after doing some research and learning that if I need healthcare due to side effects of the vaccine trial that I would be on the hook for paying the cost. The trial won’t pay them and neither would my healthcare insurance.  

Decided  it was too big a financial risk. 😢

17 hours ago, JeriGail said:

Clay - you should check out the very active Roll Call for the Viking Sea November 2021 Barcelona to San Juan cruise:

Viking Sea - November 29, 2021 - Barcelona to San Juan - Page 7 - Viking Sea Roll Calls - Cruise Critic Community

I think you've cruised this one in the opposite direction, right?  Several of us are coming in 3 or 4 days early and are looking for restaurant and hotel recommendations.

I have (twice!) and will check it out. Thanks!

On 10/26/2020 at 7:32 PM, kcpvwill said:

Hi Clay

I’ll reply to my own post. Yesterday was the date when our excursions for NL cruise Feb 14th 2021 should have been available to view.  Nothing there yesterday or today.  I wonder if this is significant?  

5 hours ago, kcpvwill said:

I’ll reply to my own post. Yesterday was the date when our excursions for NL cruise Feb 14th 2021 should have been available to view.  Nothing there yesterday or today.  I wonder if this is significant?  

Not necessarily significant. Sometimes they are late with the information and this may be exacerbated by the pandemic. I even had one cruise where they did not get everything loaded in until after booking had opened for the Suites.

Surer signs that your cruise will be canceled imminently are: the cruise disappears from the Viking website AND you cannot access it on MVJ.

I have a question. And I know this bar attracts experts in all kinds of things including (drum roll 🥁) legal stuff. Question: is the Octantis subject to the Jones Act when it sails in the Great Lakes?  And how can a Norwegian built and flagged ship sail in the Great Lakes? Is there some exception or nuance to the act that exempts ocean going ships that stop at a mixture of US and non-US ports? 

8 hours ago, CharTrav said:

I have a question. And I know this bar attracts experts in all kinds of things including (drum roll 🥁) legal stuff. Question: is the Octantis subject to the Jones Act when it sails in the Great Lakes?  And how can a Norwegian built and flagged ship sail in the Great Lakes? Is there some exception or nuance to the act that exempts ocean going ships that stop at a mixture of US and non-US ports? 

The applicable regulation is the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) as the Jones Act is applicable to cargo shipping. 

The short answer is negative, a foreign flagged and crewed ship must comply with the PVSA.

The Act states that on R/T cruises from a US port, the vessel must visit any foreign port. Therefore, if they wanted to embark and disembark at the same US port, they can visit any Canadian port.

If they embark in 1 US port and disembark in another US port, they must visit a distant foreign port, which isn't possible in the Great Lakes.

A cruise that starts in the US and ends in Canada is not domestic trade and so is not applicable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The applicable regulation is the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) as the Jones Act is applicable to cargo shipping. 

The short answer is negative, a foreign flagged and crewed ship must comply with the PVSA.

The Act states that on R/T cruises from a US port, the vessel must visit any foreign port. Therefore, if they wanted to embark and disembark at the same US port, they can visit any Canadian port.

If they embark in 1 US port and disembark in another US port, they must visit a distant foreign port, which isn't possible in the Great Lakes.

A cruise that starts in the US and ends in Canada is not domestic trade and so is not applicable. 

OK. So, per the PVSA, a foreign built, owned, flagged, and crewed vessel such as the Octantis may sail in the  Great Lakes given that all their cruises will either start at a Canadian port and end at a US port or vice versa? Furthermore it is not subject to US labor laws either? Thanks!

1 hour ago, CharTrav said:

OK. So, per the PVSA, a foreign built, owned, flagged, and crewed vessel such as the Octantis may sail in the  Great Lakes given that all their cruises will either start at a Canadian port and end at a US port or vice versa? Furthermore it is not subject to US labor laws either? Thanks!

Affirmative, for the PVSA to apply a voyage must be domestic trade, which starts and ends at US port(s). Once a voyage starts or ends at a foreign port, it is considered as a short International voyage, if it is within the Great Lakes.

Where the PVSA has application is if pax that board in a US port wishes to disembark early in a US port.

Since it is flagged in Norway it is not subject to US Labour Laws, but the employment laws of the NIS Register, in accordance with the applicable conventions - MLC 2006 (Manila Convention), as updated.

• Thanks 1

I guess that is why they aren’t selling any of them as roundtrips.  Will they let you buy a B2B?

How are they doing the Mississippi cruises?  I guess that ship is being built in the US and will have US crew or at least US labor laws if effect?

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

I guess that is why they aren’t selling any of them as roundtrips.  Will they let you buy a B2B?

How are they doing the Mississippi cruises?  I guess that ship is being built in the US and will have US crew or at least US labor laws if effect?

Clay - they could also sell R/T cruises in the Great Lakes, similar to the cruises that other cruise lines operate out of Seattle  to Alaska, they only require at least 1 stop at a Canadian port.

The Mississippi ships must be US Flag, built, maintained and crewed. I believe I recall reading that the operation may also be owned by a US company, with Viking leasing the ships.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Clay - they could also sell R/T cruises in the Great Lakes, similar to the cruises that other cruise lines operate out of Seattle  to Alaska, they only require at least 1 stop at a Canadian port.

The Mississippi ships must be US Flag, built, maintained and crewed. I believe I recall reading that the operation may also be owned by a US company, with Viking leasing the ships.

I believe it is a joint venture with Cheramie Corp. At least what I read. Long time builders and operators of oilfield supply ships.