The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, for the PVSA to apply a voyage must be domestic trade, which starts and ends at US port(s). Once a voyage starts or ends at a foreign port, it is considered as a short International voyage, if it is within the Great Lakes.

Where the PVSA has application is if pax that board in a US port wishes to disembark early in a US port.

Since it is flagged in Norway it is not subject to US Labour Laws, but the employment laws of the NIS Register, in accordance with the applicable conventions - MLC 2006 (Manila Convention), as updated.

Thanks much! I knew this was the place to find real experts. 

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I guess that is why they aren’t selling any of them as roundtrips.  Will they let you buy a B2B?

How are they doing the Mississippi cruises?  I guess that ship is being built in the US and will have US crew or at least US labor laws if effect?

Yes - you can do back to backs. 

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

I believe it is a joint venture with Cheramie Corp. At least what I read. Long time builders and operators of oilfield supply ships.

Thanks Jim - recall reading it, but couldn't remember the exact details.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 6:28 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I just had this horrific vision of what all these ships could be recycled into.  Imagine if you will, a gigantic, many-level barge.  So big that it dwarfs the current mega-liners.  It could be used in a similar way as the private islands some lines own, but open to any ship.  This thing would be so big that a dozen or more mega-liners could dock with it.  It would contain sanitized versions of cultural and natural experiences from around the world.  Imagine the top deck hosting an entire safari park, complete with “the big five”, etc.  The deck below that could be a rain forest, the deck below that the Forbidden City, the deck below that a recreation of the Vegas Strip, and on and on....  Oh the humanity!  I need a drink.... or three.

Reminds me of the holodeck on Star Trek.

• Like 1

I am sitting here wondering how in the world I list this thread for months.  I have looked at and logged on to the cruise site (SAC 11/14/21) many times. I open a notice and this thread appeared.

So glad I found myself here. I have spent so many lonely days, evenings and nights in the lounge with no one to really talk with. All is well now! I was lost, but! I have found my way again.

I have a great deal of catching up to do.

• Like 1

Glad you eventually found your way along to the front of virtual deck 7 Ruthie. You will see Jim is dozing in the corner as usual this time of day. In fact the whole ship is a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure people will gather again as time goes on. In the meantime I see the waitress is on her way over..... what will you be having?

6 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Glad you eventually found your way along to the front of virtual deck 7 Ruthie. You will see Jim is dozing in the corack. I love the peace aner as usual this time of day. In fact the whole ship is a bit quiet at the moment but I am sure people will gather again as time goes on. In the meantime I see the waitress is on her way over..... what will you be having?

So very good to be back. I love the peace and quiet this time of day. I think I will have an Irish coffee.

My roomie is watching Downton Abbey for the 30th time, at this point I can repeat the lines with the cast. I have moved on to Poldark, she is stuck in the Abby.  Smooth sailing on this beautiful day,

I think I will go to the Spa, then off to Tea later i will watch the Star show, but! for now I will enjoy my coffee and our conversation.

Nice nap in the corner.  That Irish Coffee sounds perfect.  Then down to lunch.  Or maybe a BLT at the Pool Deck Grill.  But I haven't had a burger lately.....  And they are showing lobster for dinner....  This is hard work.....😎

I stopped by this morning and no one was around.  I am an early riser normally and live in Atlantic time so you all were still snoozing.  I had a coffee while watching a lovely sunrise at sea.  It's now 5:30 pm and no matter your time zone, it IS 5 o'clock somewhere - here.  So I raise my glass (Proseco) to a happy, safe and healthy holiday week.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

I stopped by this morning and no one was around.  I am an early riser normally and live in Atlantic time so you all were still snoozing.  I had a coffee while watching a lovely sunrise at sea.  It's now 5:30 pm and no matter your time zone, it IS 5 o'clock somewhere - here.  So I raise my glass (Proseco) to a happy, safe and healthy holiday week.  

Since I haven't been on a Viking cruise yet, I've enjoyed reading these posts and imagining myself meeting my soon-to-be friends at the bar for a drink. I can't wait to meet you for real next November on the Sea!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deec said:

We have never sailed over a Holiday...I bet Viking does an amazing Thanksgiving Dinner!!!

Last year on the Sun was very nice.  In the restaurant or in the World Cafe traditional turkey and all the trimmings available.  And all the other goodies if you were not so inclined.  I really miss my Chef and staff.🍸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

😖 Right! Now I am the chef and staff.  <sigh>

Ain’t that the truth!  Next year (2021-22) with any luck, we will be on the Star for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. Hurrah!!  Can’t decide whether to book the specialty restaurants or eat in the dining room on those festive days.  

• Like 1

Milos, can I have one of your special Bloody Marys to go with my bagel?  Thanks.  Glad Explorers is open since we can't stop at any ports yet.  Great food, drinks, service, and naps.   That will get me through till we can go exploring ashore.😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Milos, can I have one of your special Bloody Marys to go with my bagel?  Thanks.  Glad Explorers is open since we can't stop at any ports yet.  Great food, drinks, service, and naps.   That will get me through till we can go exploring ashore.😎

Just ordered a Bloody Mary, with an IPA chaser. Thank goodness for Explorers, as it is a welcome relief from the rainy and overcast Pacific Wet Coast.🙂🍺

• Like 1