The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

So how about a discussion in the Lounge of where we had the best Bloody Mary.

Milka made a mean BM down in the Living Room, but for me the best had to be the Friday afternoon brunch in Dubai. Medium spicy and that healthy stick of celery was replaced with a thick tasty slice of bacon. 

With brunch being all you can drink, I had lots of bacon that afternoon.😁🥂``

• Like 1

I will take a Mimosa, please!

but I rarely saw a Bartender in Explorer's when I was there for breakfast???  I wonder if the wait staff might help...otherwise I will bring my own from the Living Room Bar....We quite often stop there for coffee to "go"  and take it to our breakfast venue!

Oh how I LOVE days at Sea!   Looking forward to many on out Trans Atlantic in 2022.

Edited by deec
add
  • Like 1

I saw that there is to be a Mexican themed dinner in Aquavit so I just ordered my Valarita  ( my version of a Margarita with 2 shots of tequila, 1 shot of triple sec, freshly squeezed 1/2  lime  and a small shot of Grand Marnier on top,no salt )  here in the Explorer's Lounge to get in the mood . Can I get one for anyone else ?

Valerie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vslparis said:

I saw that there is to be a Mexican themed dinner in Aquavit so I just ordered my Valarita  ( my version of a Margarita with 2 shots of tequila, 1 shot of triple sec, freshly squeezed 1/2  lime  and a small shot of Grand Marnier on top,no salt )  here in the Explorer's Lounge to get in the mood . Can I get one for anyone else ?

Valerie

Me!  I also do Margaritas with no salt so your recipe sounds great.

40 minutes ago, vslparis said:

Valerie

That is the original recipe for a Margarita, before somebody invented those horrible sugar-laden mixers🤢.  Maybe that is why they invented a frozen margarita, to numb the tastebuds.

The proportions change depending on which bartender's guide you consult but the ingredients are pretty much the same: tequila, triple sec and/or Grand Marnier and lime juice.  Triple sec and Grand Marnier are both orange liqueurs but the GM is higher in alcohol because it blended with  cognac. Triple sec is sweeter. Cointreau and Curacao are also orange based.

On 11/22/2020 at 7:20 PM, Ruthieofthesea said:

My roomie is watching Downton Abbey for the 30th time

I am not a great one for dramas generally but did enjoy Downton. I think that show has something in common with the atmosphere on Viking . The mutual respect that is portrayed between "upstairs" and "downstairs"  rather matches the relationship between guests and crew on the ships. Do you agree? 

Don't tell anyone but my DW and I dressed for dinner (Bowtie, tux for me sparkly evening gown for her) just to watch the Downton Abbey movie on dvd not so long ago. The things we get up to in lockdown!  🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

I am not a great one for dramas generally but did enjoy Downton. I think that show has something in common with the atmosphere on Viking . The mutual respect that is portrayed between "upstairs" and "downstairs"  rather matches the relationship between guests and crew on the ships. Do you agree? 

Don't tell anyone but my DW and I dressed for dinner (Bowtie, tux for me sparkly evening gown for her) just to watch the Downton Abbey movie on dvd not so long ago. The things we get up to in lockdown!  🙄

I will say nothing.....nothing.   What goes on at photopro's stays at photopros.   

5 hours ago, photopro2 said:

There is at least one traveling exhibit of production sets working its way through the US. On an early day in its West Palm Beach visit, guests were invited to wear period appropriate garb. Many did so.

Since parts of several decades were covered in the sets, there was a range of spats, bustles, military garb, etc.

On 11/25/2020 at 8:03 PM, Peregrina651 said:

That is the original recipe for a Margarita, before somebody invented those horrible sugar-laden mixers🤢.  Maybe that is why they invented a frozen margarita, to numb the tastebuds.

The proportions change depending on which bartender's guide you consult but the ingredients are pretty much the same: tequila, triple sec and/or Grand Marnier and lime juice.  Triple sec and Grand Marnier are both orange liqueurs but the GM is higher in alcohol because it blended with  cognac. Triple sec is sweeter. Cointreau and Curacao are also orange based.

I agree, that sugary citrus mixer is nasty . It is quick and easy for a busy bartender, especially if they are making a frozen margarita.  I have noticed on some menus a “skinny margarita” which claims to be made with just the above ingredients.  That tells me that not only is the mixer  nasty, but full of calories.  Using the lime juice saves calories so that you can have a second one 😉

• Like 1

Viking Sun to fly China flag

Following a memorandum of understanding signed in April 2019, the two companies will now set up a joint venture focusing on the Chinese source market, including operating a fleet of China-flagged ships offering coastal cruises.

Viking Sun will be the first vessel to join the new jv, hoisting the China flag and launching domestic itineraries in 2021. Under cabotage rules only China-flagged ships can sail between mainland ports.

Looks like no more World Cruises on the Sun.... sad.

Tom

• Like 3

On 11/24/2020 at 3:11 PM, deec said:

I will take a Mimosa, please!

but I rarely saw a Bartender in Explorer's when I was there for breakfast???  I wonder if the wait staff might help...otherwise I will bring my own from the Living Room Bar....We quite often stop there for coffee to "go"  and take it to our breakfast venue!

Oh how I LOVE days at Sea!   Looking forward to many on out Trans Atlantic in 2022.

Oh yeah, discovered the coffee at the Living Room bar on our 2nd VO.  Each cup fresh made to order!! Was always the first morning stop.  Hated the room coffee as there is no cream or half & half to add.

On 11/25/2020 at 6:50 PM, vslparis said:

Valerie

You betcha, that sounds delicious but i will have salt.

16 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Oh yeah, discovered the coffee at the Living Room bar on our 2nd VO.  Each cup fresh made to order!! Was always the first morning stop.  Hated the room coffee as there is no cream or half & half to add.

Room coffee ok if you remembered to bring a bit of Bailey's back from the bar at Nightcap time.🙃

• Like 2