The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

19 minutes ago, duquephart said:

You sound like a good candidate to watch "The Heavy Water War' ----- nothing short of excellent!

Read "The Winter Fortress" by Neal Bascomb if you are interested in the subject. Fascinating!

6 minutes ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

Senior Gators, I simply love Alaska. I lived in Anchorage for four years. We were blessed to sail the inside passage from Anchorage, wait! maybe it was the outside passage, it was over twenty years ago and my memory has faded. I do remember calving glaciers and stark beauty surrounding us as we sailed. There is a glacier in  Alaska with my name. Ruth's glacier, that made me smile.

Ruth, what a small world.  Compliments of Uncle Sam, I spent 2 years in Anchorage between Thanksgiving day 1968 and the day before Thanksgiving 1970 at Fort Richardson. In July 1969, I flew to Miami, married my waiting bride, and drove 6,000 miles in 10 days (including 3 days driving the Alcan highway from Dawson Creek, BC to Tok, AK). We  spent 16 months as a newly married couple in Anchorage while I finished my tour of duty there.  Our return was part driving and included sailing on the Alaskan Marine Highway from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert, BC, stopping at many of the same ports as Viking's Alaskan itinerary. 

We booked the August 14th Alaska and the Inside Passage cruise to visit places we haven't been in almost 50 years and to add the Rocky Mountaineer train through the Canadian Rockies to Banff.  Now we have our doubts about being able to that with the continued deterioration of the country's (and the world's) pandemic due to the COVID19 virus. Such is life in these strange times.

I think DW and I will have another glass of Chardonnay and enjoy the warm comradery of our fellow cruisers in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge. Cheers!

Richard and Margie

Senior Gators

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Senior Gators said:

Ruth, what a small world.  Compliments of Uncle Sam, I spent 2 years in Anchorage between Thanksgiving day 1968 and the day before Thanksgiving 1970 at Fort Richardson. In July 1969, I flew to Miami, married my waiting bride, and drove 6,000 miles in 10 days (including 3 days driving the Alcan highway from Dawson Creek, BC to Tok, AK). We  spent 16 months as a newly married couple in Anchorage while I finished my tour of duty there.  Our return was part driving and included sailing on the Alaskan Marine Highway from Haines, AK to Prince Rupert, BC, stopping at many of the same ports as Viking's Alaskan itinerary. 

We booked the August 14th Alaska and the Inside Passage cruise to visit places we haven't been in almost 50 years and to add the Rocky Mountaineer train through the Canadian Rockies to Banff.  Now we have our doubts about being able to that with the continued deterioration of the country's (and the world's) pandemic due to the COVID19 virus. Such is life in these strange times.

I think DW and I will have another glass of Chardonnay and enjoy the warm comradery of our fellow cruisers in the Virtual Explorer's Lounge. Cheers!

Richard and Margie

Senior Gators

It is a small world. I held a position at Providence Hospital in Anchorage. It was an exciting time in my career. I worked with a team of brilliant people as we developed and implemented automation in Clinical laboratories. I retired ten years ago and spend most of my time traveling. My son is an Airforce officer who has the true spirit of a nomad. 

Alaska is lovely in the Summer. I found May to be breath taking in Anchorage when flower bloom overnight and the Sun shines until midnight. I hope you plan on rescheduling your Alaska cruise if you have to cancel. 

On my way to the virtual future Cruise desk to decide what is next on my travel schedule. Then Dinner in The Restaurants, think I will have the Chairman's Choice. I love Salmon. Mimosa in hand.

2 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

As I remember, I have seen your post on Cruise critic over time. I left X after my 2009 cruise. I fell head over heels in love with Viking and I have not looked back. We did Scenic in 2012, OK, but! not Viking. Viking has a special touch that is very different from other lines. Thank you for your response.   

It was my last X cruise as well.  I decided that I did not want to do any more ocean cruising for a while (it wasn't a problem with X but with ocean-going in general) and we took our first river cruise in 2010, Viking's "China's Cultural Delights;"  we were hooked-- on river cruising and on Viking. Then Viking announced its new venture into ocean cruising and the minute we read the "Into the Midnight Sun" itinerary, we were on the phone with our TA booking our 40th anniversary trip with DH's B&SIL (their 45th).

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

It was my last X cruise as well.  I decided that I did not want to do any more ocean cruising for a while (it wasn't a problem with X but with ocean-going in general) and we took our first river cruise in 2010, Viking's "China's Cultural Delights;"  we were hooked-- on river cruising and on Viking. Then Viking announced its new venture into ocean cruising and the minute we read the "Into the Midnight Sun" itinerary, we were on the phone with our TA booking our 40th anniversary trip with DH's B&SIL (their 45th).

I walked away from X as a Elite+ it seemed the more I cruised the more money I spent onboard. When I walked off of the ship in 2009 with a $1500.00 dollar tab.  I was done. I love the Spa, but paying to lay on a warm bench burned my buns. I am a fan of River as well. I have sailed on several other lines, AMA waterways, Scenic and Emerald Waterways NZ. I always end up back with Viking. I am considering Christmas 2021, my TA is looking at pricing for me as we speak.

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We need a poll.😎

Where is Orion headed??  Anyone know how to set one up in a post?

What destinations should we populate the poll with?

• Europe/Norway
  • Malaysia/Indonesia to disembark crew then on to Alaska
  • Staying in the Pacific

Any other thoughts?

When I see her headed towards the Suez - we'll have our answer for sure. Until then all we have is destination TBC. 😎

• Like 1

It is after midnight, the lounge is very quiet. There is one other person two chairs from me. I am sitting in the middle of these beautiful ceiling to floor windows. We both seem to be in a state of reflection as we look at the gentile waves made by the ship. I simply love the motion of the ship as we glide through the water, the peace and  solitude that surrounds every thing and everyone at this hour is so nice.. The bar is closed, my Mimosa is almost gone, but! I can't seem to move from this seat. The stars above the windows are directing the ships path. I may be here in the morning as we sail into Port, I may not sleep tonight. I may watch the Sun as it presents itself over another distant land a new and exciting  destination. 

I will leave the lounge eventually and dream of my muse, the Sea as I wait until I return to my seat in the Explorers lounge onboard this lovely Viking Ocean ship.

I am leaving the virtual lounge.

Goodnight all, our next adventure awaits us.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ruthieofthesea said:

It is after midnight, the lounge is very quiet. There is one other person two chairs from me. I am sitting in the middle of these beautiful ceiling to floor windows. We both seem to be in a state of reflection as we look at the gentile waves made by the ship. I simply love the motion of the ship as we glide through the water, the peace and  solitude that surrounds every thing and everyone at this hour is so nice.. The bar is closed, my Mimosa is almost gone, but! I can't seem to move from this seat. The stars above the windows are directing the ships path. I may be here in the morning as we sail into Port, I may not sleep tonight. I may watch the Sun as it presents itself over another distant land a new and exciting  destination. 

I will leave the lounge eventually and dream of my muse, the Sea as I wait until I return to my seat in the Explorers lounge onboard this lovely Viking Ocean ship.

I am leaving the virtual lounge.

Goodnight all, our next adventure awaits us.

I really enjoyed reading that Ruithie - thank you. It is a great pleasure to share the ship with so many thoughtful, creative and interesting people. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 5:24 PM, Senior Gators said:

We fondly recall that TA cruise as one of the best we have experienced

When someone who has taken as many cruises as have you says it was one of the best we know that we enjoyed a really special trip.  Thanks for the reminder that we had two M&M's, for some reason I had forgotten that! We have been very fortunate in that we chose Viking as our first cruise line and I cannot see us travelling with anyone else.

Did you know that our Explorers' lounge bartender, Jasna, is now an officer? She was beverage manager (head of "Hydration" as she put it) when we sailed on the Sun last summer and I believe that she still had that post on the first leg of the world cruise. Of course you will see that she is now back behind the bar in this perfect Virtual Explorers' lounge.

Two glasses of Prosecco for us please Jasna and a couple more of whatever these two are having........   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

When someone who has taken as many cruises as have you says it was one of the best we know that we enjoyed a really special trip.  Thanks for the reminder that we had two M&M's, for some reason I had forgotten that! We have been very fortunate in that we chose Viking as our first cruise line and I cannot see us travelling with anyone else.

Did you know that our Explorers' lounge bartender, Jasna, is now an officer? She was beverage manager (head of "Hydration" as she put it) when we sailed on the Sun last summer and I believe that she still had that post on the first leg of the world cruise. Of course you will see that she is now back behind the bar in this perfect Virtual Explorers' lounge.

Two glasses of Prosecco for us please Jasna and a couple more of whatever these two are having........   

photopro -- "We have been very fortunate in that we chose Viking as our first cruise line and Icannot see us travelling with anyone else." 

photopro,  you and Azulann were both Viking novices. Though unlike you, she was a long time traveler on other cruise lines.  She said she was trying Viking partially for comparison purposes. By the time the cruise was over she was thoroughly convinced that Viking offered a superior product much appreciated by their clients.

Azulann was one of the shakers and movers that made the Roll Call, Meet & Mingles, and overall shipboard passenger experience so enjoyable.  Subsequently, she has sailed again with Viking and shows up on Cruise Critic threads, sharing her enthusiasm with others here online. 

Senior Gators

Edited by Senior Gators

I have been missing from our Virtual Explorer's Lounge for a while, but I came back for my morning coffee (and maybe a waffle) today. The pleasant companionship is just what I needed! We too were lucky enough to land with Viking on our first cruise experience, and have become part of the Viking family. Happy memories of unexpected gems we have found on our travels (thinking of you: Tallinn and Malaga) along with the many places that even exceeded our expectations (Santorini as the only ship in port!). 

It's hard for me to determine which I enjoy more, the places or the people. My husband would claim it's the food, but I'm not sure he really means that.  Fellow passengers have added so much to our experiences, the crew is invaluable, and the performers and the lecturers are the icing on the cake.

In a different world, we would be somewhere between Paris and Zurich right now with Viking, and just this week we changed our October cruise to a different one next April. Your company is just what was needed to lift my spirits. We live with hope. Best wishes to you all.

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, photopro2 said:

I really enjoyed reading that Ruithie - thank you. It is a great pleasure to share the ship with so many thoughtful, creative and interesting people. 

You are more than welcome. I stay afloat remembering the amazing adventure I've had on Viking Ships. 

• Like 1

Due to a burst waterline in the condo  above ours, we have retreated to DH’s Mom’s Lake House while repairs are made.  The front porch is no Explorer’s Lounge, but it is reminiscent sitting here having a pre-dinner glass of wine and enjoying the lovely weather and view!

Now if I could just get someone to make and turndown the bed and prepare meals😂

Hope all are healthy!

4FF729B3-7F9C-41EA-8DD0-6D544C966BB3.jpeg

BD894AF0-8099-4148-93F8-F042163CD4DB.jpeg

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Due to a burst waterline in the condo  above ours, we have retreated to DH’s Mom’s Lake House while repairs are made.  The front porch is no Explorer’s Lounge, but it is reminiscent sitting here having a pre-dinner glass of wine and enjoying the lovely weather and view!

Now if I could just get someone to make and turndown the bed and prepare meals😂

Hope all are healthy!

4FF729B3-7F9C-41EA-8DD0-6D544C966BB3.jpeg

Good luck with the condo repairs, Clay. Such is life in a condo. We went through having to tear out our kitchen last year courtesy of our upstairs neighbor. Part of our reward was a combined river and ocean cruise this year on Viking. It is scheduled for October, so we still have our fingers crossed. We were eagerly anticipating the Explorer's Lounge for ourselves. Looks like you have a pretty good view there, though.

Hang in there and stay healthy.

Pete

• Like 1

Thanks Pete!  As always we recognize we are lucky. The folks in the unit below ours didn’t have a place to go so they are having to live through the reconstruction. 

There are a couple of upsides to the mess-we are getting all the wood floors to match. We had added them to the bedrooms but they don’t manufacturer the same engineered wood floor anymore so there was a slight difference, that won’t be the case any longer. And we are spending some money we don’t really have to add some can lights and move some other lights while the ceilings are down. Those were on our long term renovation wish list but weren’t the highest priorities. Just the other day we said, wouldn’t it have been nice if it had of been the kitchen or master bath that were damaged.  LOL

Fingers crosses you’ll get to cruise in October. We looked at trying to make our ocean/river cruise.  Given all that’s happened, I guess we are glad we didn’t book it. But....

• Like 1

On my way to the lounge. I watched as we sailed into Venice from the veranda with a coffee in hand. Debating if I should go or stay. I decided to stay. Some years ago DH and I spent three days in Venice on our way to a place I can't

remember. DH is no longer with me, there are too many memories out there for me, I will stay onboard. 

I am more than happy to see my favorite chair is empty. There are several people in Mamsen's. I will wait to grab a waffle. You can feel the excitement as people prepare to see the wonders of Venice, The Doge's Palace, The walk across The Rialto Bridge. The awe of looking up at St. Marks, standing in the middle of Piazza San Marco. I remember it as if it were yesterday. 

Good morning, I speak to a lady that sits down next to me. We smile at each other. I ask her if she has seem Venice.

She nods, her nod holds so much meaning. We are quiet for awhile. She speaks, my husband was with me the last time that I was here,, he is gone. We connect, I am in the same place as her. We spend hours sharing memories. We have waffles and coffee. I have made a friend. Once more the magic of the Explorers lounge has worked in my favor.

We decide to have before dinner drinks tonight, of course! here in the Explorers lounge. 

Four years ago on a Viking Ocean cruise I will always remember.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

Ruthieofthesea,

What a heartwarming but bittersweet story. Thanks for sharing. 

Yes, sorry Ruthie, I posted my snow comment simultaneously with your post, and it looks quite silly, now.  But I, too, have been where you are...