The Virtual Explorers' Lounge

photopro2

I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and imagining myself back in the Explorers' Lounge. Here's one of my fond memories taken as we sailed away from St. Petersburg in April of 2018 on the Viking Sea. 

IMG_1555.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, photopro2 said:

I am pleased to say the whole Virtual Viking ship is 100% open and operating as usual. Although you might need to drop by this lounge again if you are hoping to find someone on the ship to chat to 😁 

I also wanted to mention that we are booked on the Italian Sojourn segment of the trip you are looking at for 2022. So if you do happen to be going through Civitavecchia (Rome) on 5th March 2022 we look forward to joining you!

Enjoy the sushi 🍣🍷 

Thanks for opening up the ship!  I figured if the Explorer’s Lounge deck 7 was open so I could walk over to Aquavit Terrace.  Nice to know we can now go anywhere!

• Like 1

Explorers Lounge — my often preferred vantage place sailing into or out of a harbor. This photo from the surrounding outside balcony on the Viking Sun, in Los Angeles prior to departing on 2018 Inaugural World Cruise. The “Dress Ship” signal flags were festive, flapping in the breeze.  

B8863F16-55FE-48EB-B2C9-13DFD7B9A40C.jpeg

20 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi Pat,

What a great day that was!  Thanks for the photo.  We were so fortunate to be on a very rare world cruise with no segments. 🍸

Jim,  you mentioned a key part, in my mind, as to why the Viking Sun 2018 Inaugural World Cruise was so special for all of us. The fact that we were a continuous community, a ship load of TRAVELERS (not simply Tourists) all in for the whole itinerary, led to a steady bonding and sharing that was almost effortless. There was no stress to the onboard relationships as they developed naturally over an extended time. Our strengths were shared and learned by others. Shore excursions became gatherings of friends off on an adventure. If you wanted to go one way ashore, or on the ship, there were familiar people to enjoy that activity with. My wife and I went on the same shore excursions as we were equally physically able and had similar curiosities. But, back aboard, we often went different directions seeking diverse discussions or entertainment.  This pattern developed in our relationship with other traveling couples. Going to the after dinner entertainment versus sharing a cocktail in the Explorers Lounge and chatting was often split couples doing what they wanted to but not alone and no pressure on spouses to endure hours of something they would rather not do. Friendships developed and were intertwined and overlapped. Months of this social interaction built the bond — and we hope to sail with many of those new friends again, once necessary travel restrictions are lifted.

These 2 pictures are pre- sail away from Los Angeles.  The unexpected fire works commenced many months of wonderful surprises by Viking. 

F60A9C41-FC8A-4512-A3D4-83B0AF626612.jpeg

88DE02CB-249D-4527-B42C-E475D8F2E22B.jpeg

• Like 3

Pat, you really hit the nail on the head.  I would love to see Viking offer a no segment world cruise again.   Even if the ship were not full and even if it cost a bit more the experiences you detailed  would be worth it.  Even an extended regional cruise  of 60+ days with no segments.  Hard to pull off for any line and ultimately their goal number one is full ships but we can dream, right?  Great pictures.  That night departure is vivid in memory.

• Like 1

In the spirit of this being a lounge not dedicated to any particular topic, I’d like to ask a question and ask for opinions. We’re looking at doing the Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn in the Spring of 2022. Question is the relative merits of doing the April sailing starting in Barcelona vice the mid-May sailing starting from Athens. Husband is concerned that April will be too chilly. Also our anniversary is in May.  Thoughts? Opinions? I’ve already started revising the spreadsheet I had prepared for that cruise (was to depart next week from Barcelona....) but if I can simply reuse what I’ve already prepared (updated to 2022) that’d be nice. Thanks much in advance!

Edited by CharTrav

52 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

In the spirit of this being a lounge not dedicated to any particular topic, I’d like to ask a question and ask for opinions. We’re looking at doing the Mediterranean & Adriatic Sojourn in the Spring of 2022. Question is the relative merits of doing the April sailing starting in Barcelona vice the mid-May sailing starting from Athens. Husband is concerned that April will be too chilly. Also our anniversary is in May.  Thoughts? Opinions? I’ve already started revising the spreadsheet I had prepared for that cruise (was to depart next week from Barcelona....) but if I can simply reuse what I’ve already prepared (updated to 2022) that’d be nice. Thanks much in advance!

Optimal temperature is an individual choice. For me,  I would rather be a little chilly than too hot. I wilt in higher temperatures. Your options of mid April and early May would likely be similar in temperature if weather is in normal ranges. April would likely have increased chances of rain, and May increases the chance of unexpectedly warmer than usual temperatures. I think either one is an excellent choice, and it is just depends on which scenario suites you best.

It's good to look forward to such choices again!

• Thanks 1

Temperatures are all about what we are used to experiencing. We did the full Meddy transit from Suez to Gibraltar, arriving Gib on April 10th. For the last few days, I delayed my walk from 05:30 to after lunch, as it was rather chilly at 05:30, with wind over the deck. After lunch it was very pleasant.

However, I should note that for most of the previous 3 months we experienced mid/high 80's and high humidity at sunrise, so high 50's in the Meddy was comparatively chilly.

• Thanks 1

Let us meet up in the Explorers Lounge after dinner. The Viking Daily lists the Classic Trio playing for an hour and a half starting at 2030.  I wonder if they will be playing a musical theme tonight?  And, there is a cocktail on the bar menu that I have not tried yet. 

7682AFFC-BED8-486C-BEDB-4155671C13BD.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking back, with a smile of course, to all the possible planets and stars and constellations to be viewed at night from our favorite shipboard bar, the Explorers Lounge on Deck 7. Then, there was also the seemingly endless list of possible cocktails to order from the bar. 

AB2E7008-3933-44F4-8451-79676EFA8FA6.jpeg

• Like 1

Checking in at midday . I remember fondly the  lunches I  had at Mamsen  during my six sea days across the Atlantic.

I loved  the  liverposti , almost as good as my Danish  Bestamor made, and of course the delectable Success cake.

Hope all Viking posters are doing fine today  with the new normal wherever you live. 

• Like 3

Hello everyone.  This has been fun finding this group in the Lounge.  It brings back good memories - but also makes me really want to cruise!  We have Cities of Antiquity and the Holy Land booked for Feb 2021....Just hoping things are looking up by then.  I do have one question maybe someone has an answer....Is Viking relaxing anything on Final Payment dates?  Ours isn't until the first of August - but that is approaching pretty fast...It seems a little odd to be considering a huge payment on a cruise and then having to deal with vouchers if it is cancelled....

Hello hqarang,

It is lovely up here in the lounge isn’t it. I know that Viking’s focus is on the destination but I must admit I am here for the journey with the destination as a bonus.

The question that you ask is on a bit of a sensitive subject and I do hope it won't prompt any raised voices in here. So, let’s take our drinks over to the alcove on the port side, grab a seat on the sofa and have a quiet chat just between ourselves……

The cruise you have planned may well go ahead without a hitch but there is also a possibility of course that it may be changed to some extent or even cancelled. 

Viking have really no more idea what is going to be possible next year than we have at this stage and it’s unlikely that things will be a great more certain in August. As long as there is a reasonable chance of the cruise going ahead it seems fair that Viking should require the balance of payment as originally agreed, on the assumption that everything will work out as planned. As far as I know, that is what they are still doing. In the event that they do cancel the cruise at any point then the refund/voucher option obviously kicks in.

We were booked to travel in April 21 but decided to rebook the same cruise for August 21 to give just a little longer for things to settle down. The process was easy and our balance of payment date has been moved later accordingly. I don’t know your circumstances of course but you might want to consider doing likewise which could push back your balance of payment date to a point when things will hopefully have become somewhat clearer.

I trust that helped – but, as with so much in life, this is largely out of our control...... so for now let’s not spoil the one life we have with fruitless worries and just lean back into the reindeer skin, relishing our drinks as we gaze out across the blue and sparkling ocean. 

Edited by photopro2
Typo
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, Azulann said:

Hope all Viking posters are doing fine today  with the new normal wherever you live. 

Lovely to hear from you, we are doing fine and trust you are too. I am so pleased that people are enjoying this virtual lounge as much as I am. All the photos make great reminders too and I can't resist adding this one ......Skål 😁

P1090196.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, photopro2 said:

Hello hqarang,

It is lovely up here in the lounge isn’t it. I know that Viking’s focus is on the destination but I must admit I am here for the journey with the destination as a bonus.

The question that you ask is on a bit of a sensitive subject and I do hope it won't prompt any raised voices in here. So, let’s take our drinks over to the alcove on the port side, grab a seat on the sofa and have a quiet chat just between ourselves……

The cruise you have planned may well go ahead without a hitch but there is also a possibility of course that it may be changed to some extent or even cancelled. 

Viking have really no more idea what is going to be possible next year than we have at this stage and it’s unlikely that things will be a great deal more certain in August. As long as there is a reasonable chance of the cruise going ahead it seems fair that Viking should require the balance of payment as originally agreed, on the assumption that everything will work out as planned. As far as I know, that is what they are still doing. In the event that they do cancel the cruise at any point then the refund/voucher option obviously kicks in.

We were booked to travel in April 21 but decided to rebook the same cruise for August 21 to give just a little longer for things to settle down. The process was easy and our balance of payment date has been moved later accordingly. I don’t know your circumstances of course but you might want to consider doing likewise which could push back your balance of payment date to a point when things will hopefully have become somewhat clearer.

I trust that helped – but, as with so much in life, this is largely out of our control...... so for now let’s not spoil the one life we have with fruitless worries and just lean back into the reindeer skin, relishing our drinks as we gaze out across the blue and sparkling ocean. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:02 AM, photopro2 said:

Sorry everyone, I seem to have unintentionally quoted myself and can see no way to delete the post :classic_sad: Peregrina, you will know if anyone does -  it possible to get ride of it?

contact cc.help with the link to the thread and your post number along with a little pleading and I think they will help you. That’s what I’ve done. 

also - quoting from their response to me - here is a faster way to do it - 

As an FYI of types, if the photo or post is that urgent to remove, I would suggest using the report a post button at the top right of the post in the future. In the description just add what you need removed.  That would send the alert to every single host right away.  

Edited by CharTrav

On 5/22/2020 at 9:02 AM, photopro2 said:

Sorry everyone, I seem to have unintentionally quoted myself and can see no way to delete the post :classic_sad: Peregrina, you will know if anyone does -  it possible to get rid of it?

OOOPS! But it could have been worse.

Once you have hit submit, you can't delete a post yourself. You can edit it to delete the offending material and replace it with an apology for the mistake but the post will remain even if it is an empty box.  DO NOT highlight the entire contents of the quote box to try to delete the box because the box itself will not be deleted; place your cursor at the end of the quote box and use the BACKSPACE key to rid of the words and the box that surrounds them.

Once the edit period is over (20 minutes?), you are at the kindness and mercy of the moderators to delete the post for you. BUT, they don't like us depending on them to correct ALL our mistakes, so save it for only the worst (for which, imho, your post does not qualify; silly mistake and good for a smile from fellow loungers but, alas, not fatal). 

Char suggests  e-mailing CC but it is less complicated and possibly faster to use the REPORT POST link that is next to the post number (on my mobile, it is a flag next to the post number, upper right corner of the post). "Report post" is monitored by the moderators, who are available nights and weeks.  I reported one my  posts the other day because the information was flat out wrong and asked that it be removed on that basis. It was gone in less than an hour.

NOTE: Just because we request that a post be removed, even our own, posts are removed at the discretion of the moderators --and sometimes they do disagree with request.

Edited by Peregrina651