Cruiseline shutdowns

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

But with no butler and cabin attendant. It's also nice to have a choice of your meals - this deluded person thought she'd be able to order off the daily menu. 

From what I saw of the Diamond Princess situation they did get some choice of main courses but definitely not full daily menus. 

That person sounds like she was living in a little bubble of unreality. 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

From what I saw of the Diamond Princess situation they did get some choice of main courses but definitely not full daily menus. 

That person sounds like she was living in a little bubble of unreality. 🤣

It got popped, well and truly. 

25 minutes ago, Pushka said:

But with no butler and cabin attendant. It's also nice to have a choice of your meals - this deluded person thought she'd be able to order off the daily menu. 

I'm guessing the butler would make him/herself scarce as well. And as you say the menu would be whatever they give you. Like OzKiwiJJ I'll hold up at home. My room is included in the mortgage payment at no extra charge 😉

20 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I love me a breakfast like that, I have to assume it's not called "A full english breakfast" down under though...hold the black pudding for me, eggs basted. Did you have the run of high class people buying 500 rolls at a time down there. We did here, funny thing my province produces a pretty large amount of the worlds supply of toilet paper, we were never in danger of running out except for the boone heads buying 500 rolls at a time. We have been able to get it pretty easy. I think we have about 30 rolls. $10.00 for 20 rolls

Some hotels/cafes here call it the 'full English' or the Aussie Brekkie more like.666895019_th(2).jpg.bb045c956f6ab27f86077b610c21451e.jpg This would keep you going mate.  Having been to Canada, I do like your Canadian bacon.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 7:31 AM, MicCanberra said:

My wife managed to get a pack of TP yesterday, $7.50 for a roll of 10. The amazing thing is that she was ecstatic that she actually got some, despite the price

Bargain Mic, the IGA's and Servos down here are splitting up the big TP packs and selling it @ $2 a roll, not 5 star either.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

we need that here as well

I believe they have another site linked straight to the police where you can report anyone breaking the lockdown .Its been very popular .....not sure how many get followed up though .

They have also limited quantities here in British Columbia. They have also banned the resale of things like Toilet paper and wipes disinfectant by those low class people who bought everything in sight to profiteer by resale. Now they are stuck with a 10 year supply. Also there was a case of an individual that had bought $10,000.00 worth of stuff for just that purpose...got it confiscated. Don't know if that was in Canada or the US.

There was a case in America where an entrepreneur had bought lots of hand sanitiser thinking he could make some money in the future due to what was happening in China, before it went outside of Wuhan even. is plan was to just sell it at normal retail prices but of course bought at wholesale prices.

He ended up donating it to local hospitals and such.

Just bad timing.

• Like 1

This afternoon I received an email from Princess, advising that they have cancelled all their Australian cruises up to June 15th. I am booked on a segment of the World Cruise on the Sea Princess and, for the last few weeks have been expecting it to be cancelled. With the cancellation by Princess I may not incur cancellation penalties from either the TA, QANTAS or the hotel I booked in London. That is my job for tomorrow - follow through on all of these.

The tour companies I booked excursions with in Norway an Iceland have all refunded the money. No questions asked. 🙂

Edited by Aus Traveller

I have about $2,500 in fares for Virgin flights that are not going to happen any time soon

Frankly I dont expect to see any refunds perhaps at some time in the future I am get a credit

I even took their extra insurance when booking (covermore) which seems totally worthless

I suspect Virgin as we know them might not be back after this is all over

Regards

John

3 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

I have about $2,500 in fares for Virgin flights that are not going to happen any time soon

Frankly I dont expect to see any refunds perhaps at some time in the future I am get a credit

I even took their extra insurance when booking (covermore) which seems totally worthless

Regards

John

You can lodge a request to get a credit online with Virgin Australia. The simplest solution if you're fine for that.

As for Virgin, as long as we do return to a future that somewhat resembled the past e.g. with cruiselines and airlines operating, then I would expect Virgin to be part of that.

On 3/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, Blackduck59 said:

I love me a breakfast like that, I have to assume it's not called "A full english breakfast" down under though...hold the black pudding for me, eggs basted. Did you have the run of high class people buying 500 rolls at a time down there. We did here, funny thing my province produces a pretty large amount of the worlds supply of toilet paper, we were never in danger of running out except for the boone heads buying 500 rolls at a time. We have been able to get it pretty easy. I think we have about 30 rolls. $10.00 for 20 rolls

Full english is definitely a thing in Australia. Can't think why it wouldn't be. And give me black pudding any day. I definitely prefer 'proper' food of english heritage than the American type food that's around so much on most cruise ships.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Full english is definitely a thing in Australia. Can't think why it wouldn't be. And give me black pudding any day. I definitely prefer 'proper' food of english heritage than the American type food that's around so much on most cruise ships.

A Pair of well grilled kippers with brown bread and butter!!!

Regards

John

18 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Regards

John

John, don't worry Sir Richard Branson is not short of a quid, he will bolster up Virgin Straya. All the best with it.

8 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

A Pair of well grilled kippers with brown bread and butter!!!

Regards

John

Get on board P&O UK John, always kippers available for brekkie in the MDR. Plus black puddin' of course and some other 'English delicacies.'

21 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

This afternoon I received an email from Princess, advising that they have cancelled all their Australian cruises up to June 15th. I am booked on a segment of the World Cruise on the Sea Princess and, for the last few weeks have been expecting it to be cancelled. With the cancellation by Princess I may not incur cancellation penalties from either the TA, QANTAS or the hotel I booked in London. That is my job for tomorrow - follow through on all of these.

The tour companies I booked excursions with in Norway an Iceland have all refunded the money. No questions asked. 🙂

Sorry to hear about the 2020 Aussie Worldie being cancelled, but it was inevitable.  Good luck with your refunds etc.

3 minutes ago, NSWP said:

John, don't worry Sir Richard Branson is not short of a quid, he will bolster up Virgin Straya. All the best with it.

Sir Richard no longer owns Virgin Australia. It's mostly owned by Delta and Air France/KLM.

I hope it doesn't affect my Velocity points. I have almost 700,000 that I've been saving for a UK flight (hopefully, for next year now that the COVID has hit the fan).

20 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Sorry to hear about the 2020 Aussie Worldie being cancelled, but it was inevitable.  Good luck with your refunds etc.

Luckily I had booked the segment of the world cruise using a future cruise deposit ($100). Airfares booked through Princess - the rep said I would probably get a future cruise credit. I objected and said I should get a refund. For my hotel refund, I have emailed QANTAS who I booked through. Yet to hear back.

37 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Interested to hear how you go with Qantas. I have airfares with Virgin for April. Flights suspended, credit voucher only, no refund. I am a bit miffed, Virgin cannot provide the service.