Cruiseline shutdowns

Just now, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. In the end, sending a couple of ships to the scrap yard is possible, but I can't see a sale being possible. Which cruise line would buy?

Cruise & Maritime Voyages' (CMV) They buy the junk.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes. In the end, sending a couple of ships to the scrap yard is possible, but I can't see a sale being possible. Which cruise line would buy?

I could see Celebrity letting the Millennium class ships that haven't been "Revolutionized" go. Also Celebrity stopping the "Revolution" refits on the solstice ships that have not been done. Refurbish what they have, re-purpose cellar masters and remodel Micheal's club into the "Retreat" but I wonder about the Gigantic suite they had planned to carve out of the Sky lounge. Some of the Princess ships will go to P&O and the P&O ships will be paid off. Some new builds will be cancelled and existing hulls not yet completed will be slowed as much as possible.

When Renaissance Cruises went belly up ,all their R Ships were laid up for over 12 months . I remember cruising out of Papeete and looking over to the 2 ships that became Pacific and Tahitian Princess tied up side by side on the other side of the port .

17 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I could see Celebrity letting the Millennium class ships that haven't been "Revolutionized" go. Also Celebrity stopping the "Revolution" refits on the solstice ships that have not been done. Refurbish what they have, re-purpose cellar masters and remodel Micheal's club into the "Retreat" but I wonder about the Gigantic suite they had planned to carve out of the Sky lounge. Some of the Princess ships will go to P&O and the P&O ships will be paid off. Some new builds will be cancelled and existing hulls not yet completed will be slowed as much as possible.

That sounds logical. I sincerely hope several of the major cruise lines survive. It would make sense if they reduced their fleet by scrapping (or Princess passing on to P&O) the oldest ships that were going to meet that end in the next few years anyway.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Most refits and dry docks would be scaled right back as well.

Hi Mic

Well no one is going to want to linger in a far east yard are they ??

Even worse the Italian yards are not a good idea 

so where are we going to see 3 or 4 large ships laid up for a couple of years

Genoa ???? where they first docked the costa concordia would hold a few ships

Regards

John

Has anyone else seen this post?

"...Consider that just today (Wednesday, April 1st), RCI announced that they were cancelling all RCI, Celebrity and Azamara cruises through Sept 1..!"

Do you think they were referring to the "Cruise With Confidence" policy being extended to September 1st?

Edited by norlor32
Wrong date

6 hours ago, norlor32 said:

"...Consider that just today (Wednesday, April 1st), RCI announced that they were cancelling all RCI, Celebrity and Azamara cruises through Sept 1..!"

Do you think they were referring to the "Cruise With Confidence" policy being extended to September 1st?

welcome to cruise critic, 

That is certainly something to ponder but on April 2nd they said cruises in Australia are off until 15 June, so perhaps not.

7 hours ago, norlor32 said:

I question the authenticity of that announcement that you mention comes from RCI. It is dated April 1st. 😁

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I question the authenticity of that announcement that you mention comes from RCI. It is dated April 1st. 😁

I suppose a perusal of their website would confirm it or not.

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Zaandam is due for an update in dry dock in a few days followed by Rotterdam. Bermuda I think. Will be interesting to see if that goes ahead.

I used to work for a company that was heavily involved in these quick turn around refresh refits. All the millwork components were fabricated here on the west coast of Canada, loaded in containers and shipped to the Bahamas. We would send a mixed crew from our shop as well as other trades and send them to Bermuda for a couple of weeks and the thrash was on and get the ship back in service. I never worked on the ships but did work on the components in our shop. I left that job quite some time ago and have lost touch with them. If those refits are going ahead then that shop is probably involved. We also did work on Holland America ships here in Victoria (we have a rather substantial dry dock here). There was a Disney ship and Noordam here last fall after the Alaska season ended.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I suppose a perusal of their website would confirm it or not.

Royal Caribbean plan to resume cruising on 12th May. They are even more optimistic than I am. 😁 That is why I said the suggestion that they have stopped cruising until 1st September is an April Fool's Joke.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Royal Caribbean plan to resume cruising on 12th May. They are even more optimistic than I am. 😁 That is why I said the suggestion that they have stopped cruising until 1st September is an April Fool's Joke.

Only a week ago they only planned to suspend until April 11...

• 4 weeks later...

Princess have come out with the latest cancellations

• All Remaining Alaska, Canada & New England and Europe Cruises and Cruisetours in 2020

• All Remaining Australian and Caribbean Cruises through August, Japan Cruises through October 1 and Taiwan Cruises in July

• All Fall 2020 Tahiti & French Polynesia Cruises on Pacific Princess

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Princess have come out with the latest cancellations

• All Remaining Alaska, Canada & New England and Europe Cruises and Cruisetours in 2020

• All Remaining Australian and Caribbean Cruises through August, Japan Cruises through October 1 and Taiwan Cruises in July

• All Fall 2020 Tahiti & French Polynesia Cruises on Pacific Princess

Here's the link 

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/