Azamara requiring letter/ form from physician...Bonnie.(merged)

midwestchick

I thought I read somewhere that Azamara is now requesting letters for pax over 70 saying they do not have high risk conditions before they sail. 
Bonnie...if this is true and final payment is due, would that qualify for one being allowed to move those complimentary nights to another cruise?  Also if it’s true they will not allow you to board, wouldn't that be Azamara actually canceling your cruise?j

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Bonnie can you tell me where I can find those forms to fill out?

wish we could go to Hanoi again and the you would have a better trip than las t time (inside information)

kind  regards Annelies and Fred

22 hours ago, midwestchick said:

I thought I read somewhere that Azamara is now requesting letters for pax over 70 saying they do not have high risk conditions before they sail. 
Bonnie...if this is true and final payment is due, would that qualify for one being allowed to move those complimentary nights to another cruise?  Also if it’s true they will not allow you to board, wouldn't that be Azamara actually canceling your cruise?

I read this, too. Don't know how long it will be in effect. Wife & I are into our 70s now and both have minor heart issues. A March cruise was cancelled and we have Future Cruise Credit. If Azamara won't let us board (I've found another cruise in July 2021, but not booked yet), then I'll request a refund in lieu of FCC.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve merged 2 similar threads

That’s fine but I’m looking for an answer.  Why would I make final payment if they won’t allow me to board?  I’m healthy enough to cruise but do have some underlying conditions listed on their current guidelines.  There are a large number of Azamara cruisers who wouldn’t be allowed to board with those restrictions.  

Edited by midwestchick

Many of us made final payment before the need for a letter.  😟
The letter was a measure to try and curb the spread, they probably haven’t decided what they will do once they start resailing so an answer isn’t going to come quickly 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, NeilWM said:

If I was a betting man 😇 I would bet the letter will not be an ongoing requirement or most of us will not be able to sail

I cannot see any UK medical practitioner signing the letter if it was based on the previous format. (That’s assuming you could even get in to see them) 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

I cannot see any UK medical practitioner signing the letter if it was based on the previous format. (That’s assuming you could even get in to see them) 

Understandably it is almost impossible to see a doctor at this time, all they are doing is calling people with advice, if it is urgent they call the Ambulance service.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, spikkel said:

Bonnie can you tell me where I can find those forms to fill out?

wish we could go to Hanoi again and the you would have a better trip than las t time (inside information)

kind  regards Annelies and Fred

Hi Annalies, 

I can't find the form on our website either! Could just be my 'search' is not worded correctly. 

I've asked for help. I'll get back to you.

p.s. in spite of missing the private shorex in Hanoi I'm still glad I joined all of you. Someday I'll return and see the city properly!

55 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

Hi Annalies, 

I can't find the form on our website either! Could just be my 'search' is not worded correctly. 

I've asked for help. I'll get back to you.

p.s. in spite of missing the private shorex in Hanoi I'm still glad I joined all of you. Someday I'll return and see the city properly!

thanks so much, I would like to take the  tour with you and your husband again!

Found this when I Googled Azamara 70 letter. Led me to https://www.azamara.com/ie/travel-advisory-1

Note it is only for 30 days, but subject to review. And it is for ALL RCCL ships.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Travel Advisory - 13 March

We are closely monitoring global developments regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19), and we are fully focused on protecting the health and safety of our guests and crew.

To comply with requirements from US Administration COVID-19 Taskforce, CDC, WHO and other public health authorities around the world, we are enhancing our rigorous global boarding and screening measures to protect our guests and crew. These measures are intentionally conservative and apply to anyone boarding our ships, guests and crew alike. We apologize for the inconvenience created by these precautionary measures.

These temporary safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will be reviewed daily for revision as conditions warrant. Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols:

While there are still a lot of unknowns related to COVID-19, we do know it presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions. Therefore, in order to sail:

1. Effective Friday, March 13, 2020, guests of all ages will be screened prior to boarding, regarding underlying issues that may prevent them from sailing including chronic heart, lung, liver, or kidney disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, or cancer.
  2. Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, if you are over the age of 70 at the time of embarkation, you must present a doctor’s letter certifying you’re fit to travel and do not have severe, chronic medical conditions. As a reminder, Azamara is a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Please share the letter below with your physician, which can also be found on our Travel Advisory:

This requirement will continue to be into effect until further notice.

Click on the Fit to Travel link for the form.

Also, we have updated our Travel Advisory

2.Will the requirement for anyone over 70 years of age to have a form from a physician certifying they are fit to travel be a permanent policy even after the virus subsides?

The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our top priority. All current travel restrictions and requirements were implemented as temporary measures. At this time, the Fit to Travel form for guests 70 years of age and older continues to be part of the health screening and boarding protocol, which must be completed by your physician. If you are unable to provide a signed letter from your doctor or if you have a severe, chronic medical condition, please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately.

1 hour ago, BBMacLaird said:

This requirement will continue to be into effect until further notice.

Click on the Fit to Travel link for the form.

Also, we have updated our Travel Advisory

2.Will the requirement for anyone over 70 years of age to have a form from a physician certifying they are fit to travel be a permanent policy even after the virus subsides?

The safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our top priority. All current travel restrictions and requirements were implemented as temporary measures. At this time, the Fit to Travel form for guests 70 years of age and older continues to be part of the health screening and boarding protocol, which must be completed by your physician. If you are unable to provide a signed letter from your doctor or if you have a severe, chronic medical condition, please contact us or your Travel Advisor immediately.

Thanks Bonnie 

Has Azamara checked that any UK General Practitioner would be prepared to sign such a document? (Not withstanding that no one would get near a practitioner for such a trivial matter in the foreseeable future).

Just wanting to know if problems might be ahead for us

Edited by uktog
  • Like 2

Our GP would certainly not sign any such letter since DH has several of the exclusions.

Furthermore I doubt whether any UK GP would sign this document for someone like me who doesnt have the problems listed apart of course the age one.

Other more informed cruise critic contributors will tell us more I am sure.

If this continues to be a requirement then our cruising days are over.

Would we get full refund since a FCC would be useless.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

Our GP would certainly not sign any such letter since DH has several of the exclusions.

Furthermore I doubt whether any UK GP would sign this document for someone like me who doesnt have the problems listed apart of course the age one.

Other more informed cruise critic contributors will tell us more I am sure.

If this continues to be a requirement then our cruising days are over.

Would we get full refund since a FCC would be useless.

Most would argue in the absence of running tests they could not give such a blanket indemnity 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, uktog said:

Thanks Bonnie 

Has Azamara checked that any UK General Practitioner would be prepared to sign such a document? (Not withstanding that no one would get near a practitioner for such a trivial matter in the foreseeable future).

Just wanting to know if problems might be ahead for us

I spoke to my physician’s office yesterday.  Under those guidelines, he would not be able to sign a letter so I could sail.  I am quite able to travel so this is maddening. There isn’t any sense making final payment because my insurance wouldn’t pay a claim because of Azamara’s guidelines. 

OK, I have bitten my tongue and tried not to respond to this stupid requirement from Azamara of a physician’s letter to certify “fitness to travel” but now I have had enough. 

Two comments....firstly good luck in getting any doctor to provide you with one at this time of extreme pressure. We are all working ourselves to exhaustion looking after seriously ill and dying patients. Letters to cruise lines are not on our list of priorities right now. 

Secondly, anyone with even a moderate pre existing relapsing chronic health condition could not be deemed  “fit to travel” anyway. No doctor could predict when or whether a deterioration was likely. Someone with Cancer, Angina, COPD, Asthma, Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Chronic Fatigue....they are just a very few examples of varying conditions that can fluctuate dramatically at any time, including on a cruise.

It doesn’t actually matter if you are over 70 or not. If you did have one of these health conditions you may be perfectly stable, yet your GP could not medically certify that would continue to be so on a cruise. 

Then there is the minefield of getting travel insurance....

Azamara need to reconsider this requirement now.

Sorry...rant over from a very tired GP who should be retired, but has gone back to work. I have an even more exhausted GP friend fast asleep on my sofa right now. He has been working 12-14 hour days for over 2 weeks. He won’t be writing any “fitness to cruise” letters either. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1