Lockdown survival tips....

6 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Remember 

2 cups of water for every cup of rice .

Anyone got  an easy recipe for bread ?

Our daughter bought a 'cheapie' breadmaker from Big W for $129. She used a recipe she found on the internet - plain flour, yeast and bread improver. From her first loaf she had been making beautiful bread, one loaf every day.

Decades ago we used to make our own bread the old-fashioned way, by hand. One trick we came across was to use some vitamin C to make the yeast even more effective. We were making several loaves and used one crushed vitamin C tablet. For one loaf you would need a quarter of a tablet or less.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Our daughter bought a 'cheapie' breadmaker from Big W for $129. She used a recipe she found on the internet - plain flour, yeast and bread improver. From her first loaf she had been making beautiful bread, one loaf every day.

Decades ago we used to make our own bread the old-fashioned way, by hand. One trick we came across was to use some vitamin C to make the yeast even more effective. We were making several loaves and used one crushed vitamin C tablet. For one loaf you would need a quarter of a tablet or less.

I used to do the same thing with the vit C - it has the same role as the bread improver.

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I used to do the same thing with the vit C - it has the same role as the bread improver.

That's interesting. My daughter has bought bread improver. I told her about the use of vitamin C, but I wasn't aware that that it acted the same as the bread improver.

Next tip - Please all keep reading and posting on the forum. 🙂We have a great community and the forum gives us interactions with people outside our immediate household. This is particularly important for people, like us, who have gone into voluntary self-isolation.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Remember 

Google No-knead Ciabatta. It's very easy but takes 18 hours to prove, then another two hours after shaping. If I want it for lunch I start it around 3pm the day before, then shape it around 9am.

Now, if only I could buy flour
Gah. Not able to post YouTube's here

google this then. Sorry about size of print. Cc is driving me crazy today. 

Faster No Knead Bread - So Easy ANYONE can make (but NO BOILING WATER!!).

Edited by Pushka

I'll have to try that one day soon especially as I actually scored some bread flour at the supermarket today. It will be interesting to compare the texture and flavour with the class no knead ciabatta which I've made a few times. 

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'll have to try that one day soon especially as I actually scored some bread flour at the supermarket today. It will be interesting to compare the texture and flavour with the class no knead ciabatta which I've made a few times. 

Let me know! I'll try it when I get me some flour .....😁

OT. Prince Charles has tested positive. 

Edited by Pushka

Just a little aside. It seems take away containers seem to be unavailable, I have some, so I make soups and casseroles, curries, rice, whatever, freeze them, then flick them out and put them into zip lock bags, can re use the containers then. If you fill the containers nearly to the top, and they won't fit in the bag, just chop a chunk off one side, and both bits fit the bag. 

Also I do the good old damper, cool it, slice it, freeze it. I do Irish soda bread as well, buttermilk seems to be readily available still, so use that instead of the sour milk. I mess about with the recipes and put fruit and spices in both. Also do savoury with herbs and finely chopped bacon and onion. I love messing 😁 I make them into rolls as well. Different but filling and tasty, and cheap. Lashings of butter- yum👌

Edited by dizzy1948
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 3:46 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Remember 

Try googling focaccia, I tried to paste the link for one I found but alas I failed. It is really easy assuming you have or can get flour and yeast. The rest you probably have in your pantry. We are isolating as much as we can but are still able to get to the store for groceries. The shelves are a little sparse but we can still get bread. Eggs, milk and canned goods are the short items. People are distancing in the stores, The panic buying seems to have settled down and the stores, as well as the provincial government have finally put an end to those that were buying 500 rolls of toilet paper etc.. The stores are limiting and the re-selling of those essentials by unscrupulous individuals is now illegal and subject to fines.

Be well everyone, best regards from Canada.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:46 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Remember 

I don’t know what rice you are using,but it’s 1:1 ratio.

My wife is Asian she tells me ,a western can’t cook rice and I tell her a Asian can’t cook a steak.

Some of the cruise directors are do morning shows on the book of faces I'm told .

8 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

Just a little aside. It seems take away containers seem to be unavailable, I have some, so I make soups and casseroles, curries, rice, whatever, freeze them, then flick them out and put them into zip lock bags, can re use the containers then. If you fill the containers nearly to the top, and they won't fit in the bag, just chop a chunk off one side, and both bits fit the bag. 

We do an overnight freeze in a container then cryovac the frozen lump, keeps for months.  We do soups, spaghetti sauces of different types, casseroles, curries. Being just the two of us it's easy to cook several meals at once, and they do come in handy if we get the winter wog and don't feel like cooking but still need to eat good food. One batch of spag sauce is enough for 7 feeds for the pair of us.

I don't need the cruise excuse for putting on weight anymore. I am rediscovering old  cooking skills, a cake a day, and its only the 2 of us.. rock cakes, banana cake, semolina halva etc etc...and a great pizza base recipe using yoghurt and flour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcl said:

I don't need the cruise excuse for putting on weight anymore. I am rediscovering old  cooking skills, a cake a day, and its only the 2 of us.. rock cakes, banana cake, semolina halva etc etc...and a great pizza base recipe using yoghurt and flour.

Me too! I think the kids call it 'living your best life' or LYBL. It's always got to be the best available, doesn't it and if that's cake and homemade bread, then that's what it is. I'm inspired by seeing pictures on social media of all the delicious things friends and strangers are making. Someone started to talk about what I would call salmon patties last night - so now I have a massive craving for those. I don't think we have a tin of salmon but maybe tuna will have to do!

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

We do an overnight freeze in a container then cryovac the frozen lump, keeps for months.  We do soups, spaghetti sauces of different types, casseroles, curries. Being just the two of us it's easy to cook several meals at once, and they do come in handy if we get the winter wog and don't feel like cooking but still need to eat good food. One batch of spag sauce is enough for 7 feeds for the pair of us.

I cryovac some stuff for when we go caravanning because it can be "boiled in the bag" (Layman's Sous-vide). I

t's easy to cryovac meals with liquid after it has been frozen in a container first. Nice and neat, stacks well. Bit expensive to cryovac everything - but handy to have.

Edited by dizzy1948

15 minutes ago, dizzy1948 said:

I cryovac some stuff for when we go caravanning because it can be "boiled in the bag" (Layman's Sous-vide). I

t's easy to cryovac meals with liquid after it has been frozen in a container first. Nice and neat, stacks well. Bit expensive to cryovac everything - but handy to have.

We cryovac all our meat and fish, plus the previously mentioned goods. Using a 100 micron bag it can last for at least a couple of years in a -18C freezer without freezer burn, if necessary, not that we keep stuff that long.

Edited by Russell21