Viking Venus - What is the status of her build?

mkerner

OTJ agree, I always think of Caribbean Cruise as a resort type vacation...not really for ports....winter escape!  But most Asian and European ports always leave me wanting MORE!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 8:03 PM, Peregrina651 said:

There will not a public announcement until all guests who are effected have been notified.

Those of who don't have skin in the game won't see anything official until it is posted here:  https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

I received an email today from Mr Hagen about the new health and safety program, which I hadn't noticed til hours after i discovered the links I discovered and shared here. Don't know who got this email - all future and past passengers or just those of us with current bookings? 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

I know, but did you check out the latest from Tor? Video today about the new covid protocol.  If I hear my TA use this word "pause" one more time I'm gonna scream. 

Yes I did tonight.  "Pause"????🤔

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah..."pause". Maybe that's the new buzzword or parlance among TAs in reference to all these cancellations. Sounds less harsh somehow, yes???   lol.....

One of the first words our son learned was "No" and "patience! patience!", words he heard often (and could parrot perfectly) but did not always heed. 😁. He'll be 30 yo next year. 

Edited by CharTrav

As of 06:00 (PST) it looks like Venus is preparing for sea trials. She has 2 tugs standing by and the AIS shows her as underway, although it also posts her speed as 10 kts in close vicinity to the berth.

I expect she will head out on trials by Monday next week.

• Like 1

MarineTraffic.com reports Venus is in status "underway" at 10kt and 291 degrees. However she appears to be at the pier, so this may just be a test mode.

Darn - Andy beat me to it!

OK, so the position is not really changing - the fifth decimal digits of the lat & lon seem to be drifting back and forth, normal for GPS position I would think - that is 10 feet or less.

Edited by What was that?

The interesting one is having 2 tugs standing by.

If the build is complete, they could be conducting the light ship survey and inclining test, which requires the mooring lines at least slack. The GPS speed is an anomaly, as they must still be setting up and updating the SAM integrated Bridge system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Darn...and to think we would have boarded her 3 weeks from today on the Chairman's cruise 😟

I'm planning a "BUM VOYAGE" party with the folks we were going to board her with on 26 January. I hope we have some bubbly left for that after New Year's.

On that date in 2021 we will be just inside a year to our rebooked Northern Lights cruise departing from Bergen on 24 January 2022, so it won't be all frowny.

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the day when many were intending to board Viking Venus for the Chairman's Cruise - Rome to Barcelona, she remains moored in Ancona, Italy, undelivered. Our cruises were to board on 26 January, Barcelona-London-Bergen, and (I just found out) on that date we will be having a combination "Bum Voyage" party and birthday party for my DW (whose age I will not reveal, but who has already gotten her first Covid shot due to age). I will be thinking of all who were scheduled to sail on Venus today, especially OnTheJourney.

We have re-booked for 24 January 2022, Northern Lights cruise only, same ship.

• Like 2

Hi WWT....great to hear that your wife got her vaccine! Step in the right direction for all of us at some point I hope.

You know, Tuesday came and went without my even thinking about that it would have been the start of the Iberian! Most likely it was because we would have been in Rome already on the 15th - so I did think about that last Thursday evening when we would have had our overnight flight. After all the discussion I started here about deliberating over choosing seats in the Polaris configuration, etc. it didn't happen anyway. I can only think about how nice it might have been in a different reality. 

As to the Venus, guess there was really no need to deliver her as soon as would have (presumably) happened. I wonder too if the ship is even completely done? Again, doesn't  much matter for now. It'll be interesting to see what Mr. Hagen comes up with in the way of still honoring a chairman's cruise in some form or other. I'd be just as content if he scheduled it for '22 rather than sometime in '21 yet (which appears to be the plan but certainly could change). Let us know how the "Bum Voyage" party goes...I got an extra bag of sourdough beer pretzel rings I could priority-mail you (if it'd even get there before your next cruise...of late there's a whole new meaning to the term "snail mail" LOL)  

Be well my friend and stay safe...we will hopefully meet up on some ship, some time  😇

Edited by OnTheJourney

41 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Hi WWT....great to hear that your wife got her vaccine! Step in the right direction for all of us at some point I hope.

OTJ - I got mine, too, and there is a story to tell on the Aquavit Terrace about the process that I am sure will improve with age. Progress on the Covid VAX has been slow, but I imagine as states get more sites in operation it will go faster. [Here I removed a comment that some might have been perceived as political - who needs that?] "Fortunately" we are old enough (75+) to be early in line but our kids have been locking down very strictly, and it looks like it will be for the long haul.

My Optimism Meter for our Jan 2022 cruise has risen from "Cautiously" to "Gaining Confidence", and for our April 2022 river cruise it is rising past "Pretty Confident." I am starting to do research on flights (too early to book, I know, but learning what might be available helps me plan).

• Like 3

On 12/29/2020 at 3:45 PM, What was that? said:

I'm planning a "BUM VOYAGE" party with the folks we were going to board her with on 26 January. I hope we have some bubbly left for that after New Year's.

On that date in 2021 we will be just inside a year to our rebooked Northern Lights cruise departing from Bergen on 24 January 2022, so it won't be all frowny.

Cheers!

Please leave some refreshments for me.  I board for a 24 day butterfly Northern Lights cruise on Feb 5th, 2022.  Heading to Fairbanks to practice Arctic photography in 19 days.

9 minutes ago, GoesBoom said:

Venus is now flagged the Viking Venus!  Viking must have taken delivery.

Maybe - but MarineTraffic.com shows her "sailing under the flag of Italy." We will see...

I was supposed to have left London/Tilbury aboard her yesterday on the way to the Northern lights. No sour grapes here - rebooked for 2022.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 10:45 AM, What was that? said:

OTJ - I got mine, too, and there is a story to tell on the Aquavit Terrace about the process that I am sure will improve with age. Progress on the Covid VAX has been slow, but I imagine as states get more sites in operation it will go faster. [Here I removed a comment that some might have been perceived as political - who needs that?] "Fortunately" we are old enough (75+) to be early in line but our kids have been locking down very strictly, and it looks like it will be for the long haul.

My Optimism Meter for our Jan 2022 cruise has risen from "Cautiously" to "Gaining Confidence", and for our April 2022 river cruise it is rising past "Pretty Confident." I am starting to do research on flights (too early to book, I know, but learning what might be available helps me plan).

We’re right there with you!  Have Northern Lights, reschedule twice 🤞🏼now March 2022 and meeting friends on the Grand European (2nd time) June 2022.

We’re very fortunate, tho we live in South Carolina we’re part of the greater Charlotte, NC metro area and they opened vaccines to 65+ mid January.  We received our first Pfizer vaccine 1/24 and scheduled for the 2nd this coming Sunday, 2/14 ❤️ Day!  There’s still a long way to go but it’s a start!

• Like 1