Viking Venus - What is the status of her build?

mkerner

1 minute ago, OnTheJourney said:

...to remember. Yeah, I hear you on that one. DW is the master of packing and is very organized and methodical about all that. Plus she's not one of these people who starts getting stuff ready like 3 weeks before the trip. I'd have to work with a detailed list (AND probably WOULD start several weeks ahead of time!!)  

Ha ha! I'm the one who maintains a detailed electronic todo list (use a mobile app called "Todo Cloud") that includes an item concerning special things not to forget to pack. However I don't start organizing what to pack until about a week before in our daughter's old bedroom; DH begins to do likewise in our son's old bedroom. The actual packing is done the day before. And no - I don't have any hand at all in DH's packing operations. He does his, I do mine. 😉

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm lucky....DW packs for both of us. I help in picking out my clothing though. (I know...I'm VERY spoiled). 

He's a big boy. Has his own operating style. I don't interfere. Just like we maintain two joint but separate bank accounts. I balance mine; he balances his. It's worked for us for a little over 40 yrs. Happiness is....

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

I'm lucky....DW packs for both of us. I help in picking out my clothing though. (I know...I'm VERY spoiled). 

And I'm in charge of packing in our household -- and it isn't a matter of spoiling him. It is more a matter of me not killing him.

If we packed his and hers, then he would take care of his own (and has done for years). But since we pack half and half, just in case we have to check a bag and the airline/airport manages to lose it along the way, I do the packing. Why me and not him? Because I am better at folding clothing neatly so it doesn't come out all wrinkled -- and have more patience with the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

And I'm in charge of packing in our household -- and it isn't a matter of spoiling him. It is more a matter of me not killing him.

If we packed his and hers, then he would take care of his own (and has done for years). But since we pack half and half, just in case we have to check a bag and the airline/airport manages to lose it along the way, I do the packing. Why me and not him? Because I am better at folding clothing neatly so it doesn't come out all wrinkled -- and have more patience with the process.

OK ok. To each his/her own. 😊

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CharTrav said:

OK ok. To each his/her own. 😊

Yours posted while I was in the middle of writing mine. But definitely, each to his own. I just wanted to point out to OTJ that it really isn't a matter of spoiling. It is because the PIC (packer in charge) wants to make sure that the job gets done correctly.

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:01 AM, What was that? said:

Carnac I'm not! In a later post, I revised my prediction of the date of a Viking announcement to Wednesday, 11 November 2020. Since that date has passed, I will fall back on my original prediction of Wednesday, 18 November - which will be "only" 45 days prior to Jupiter's scheduled departure from Buenos Aires on 2 January 2021. Our scheduled departure from Barcelona on Venus is 17 days later.

If Viking intends to sail these January cruises, they really need to tell us what to expect on board.

So, I may not be Carnac, but I got pretty close: 19 November 2020.

No need to applaud, just send vouchers...

2 hours ago, What was that? said:

So, I may not be Carnac, but I got pretty close: 19 November 2020.

No need to applaud, just send vouchers...

I reviewed all the schedule changes a few nights ago but didn't want to post my updated schedule spreadaheet until I was sure the changes I saw were announced by Viking. This is my own summary of the changes:

Orion - Jan/Feb canceled -- start from Sydney in March to head back to Alaska

Jupiter -Jan/Feb canceled - start from Buenos Aires in March to do Southern Atlantic Crossing

Sea - Jan canceled - start from Rome in Feb with Cities of Antiquity & the Holy Land

Sky - Jan canceled - start in Feb doing loop cruises from Miami

Star - Jan canceled - start in Feb heading back to the Med from San Juan

Sun - no cancellations given that she still hasn't been scheduled to do anything until May '21 (the end of the long since canceled 2020-21 World Cruise that would have normally started in Dec '20 ending in May '21). Will she fill in for Venus if Venus isn't ready in time? She's already scheduled to be in that area starting in May so she could just as easily fill in for Venus from Feb to April.

Venus - Iberian Explorer in Jan is canceled ; everything afterwards starting with Northern Lights still scheduled.

Will recheck tonight for changes since 2 days ag, upload the spreadsheet, and announce on the my forum thread dedicated to this topic. 

11 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see further cancellations into Feb. or even March. 

You may remember our January cruise Barcelona-London on Venus was supposed to link up with the 2 February Northern Lights cruise - Viking canceled the one booking that included both cruises, so we don't have the option to take the NL cruise. Not complaining, mind you, just sharing.

18 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Viking canceled the one booking that included both cruises,

So is that how your MVJ showed your booking? That of one "butterflied" (Viking's version of B2B) cruise? At one point, on mine, they were shown as 2 separate cruises - Invitational and then Iberian Explorer. Within the last few months, however, the itinerary became combined into one - all listed under "Chairman's Cruise". Didn't realize that, for those like you who had the first NL cruise booked - that it would also be canceled, being that the email seems to leave February untouched as of yet. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

OTJ - We are just rolling with the punches now. We have a telcon tomorrow with our traveling companions in Maryland and will have to schedule a "Bum Voyage" party with our traveling companions here in Reno, and and then we will be looking past this to the future. Our original vouchers from our April GE will reinstate, and I will probably use them on our 2022 GE, then start thinking about NL once again.

Honestly, we were not feeling that it would be safe to cruise in January or February, and would have eventually canceled if Viking had not blinked first. We can live to sail another day.

I have to revise my signature - again - this cancellation is our fourth (or fifth if you separate the Jan-Feb cruises) between VO and HAL. I booked Viking Air, but have a number of hotel reservations to cancel. Fortunately I can find the time...

52 minutes ago, What was that? said:

OTJ - We are just rolling with the punches now. We have a telcon tomorrow with our traveling companions in Maryland and will have to schedule a "Bum Voyage" party with our traveling companions here in Reno, and and then we will be looking past this to the future. Our original vouchers from our April GE will reinstate, and I will probably use them on our 2022 GE, then start thinking about NL once again.

Honestly, we were not feeling that it would be safe to cruise in January or February, and would have eventually canceled if Viking had not blinked first. We can live to sail another day.

I have to revise my signature - again - this cancellation is our fourth (or fifth if you separate the Jan-Feb cruises) between VO and HAL. I booked Viking Air, but have a number of hotel reservations to cancel. Fortunately I can find the time...

Just checked the sked for NL in Feb & March 2021. Still scheduled and not full. 

14 hours ago, What was that? said:

OTJ - We are just rolling with the punches now.

Yeah...that's about it. It'll be interesting to see what Viking does with this invitational cruise. The letter we got seems to suggest that a rescheduled (Chairman's) cruise will still be on the Venus. In looking at the schedule for the Iberian Explorer, there are NO sailings listed at all for '21. The '21 dates for the Western Mediterranean cruise (invitational itinerary), for Rome to Barcelona, are:  3/9, 4/1, 5/23, 7/18, 9/12, 10/31, 11/7, 11/22, 12/29. I won't do an 8-day invitational if there is nothing to add on to it either before or after. See what they come up with. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

. In looking at the schedule for the Iberian Explorer, there are NO sailings listed at all for '21.

The Iberian Explorer is only scheduled once a year in January. It's the annual repositioning of the ship from the Med to the London. Similar to Trade Routes of the Middle Ages that executes a reposition from Barcelona (the Med) to Bergen (the Baltic/North Sea). 

• Like 2