Royal Caribbean Extends Cruise Suspensions to May 11th. Carnival Corp. To Follow?

cruisepsycho

23 minutes ago, Sunviking said:

May I ask on what information you base this prediction?

I am basing it on everything I've read about the spreading of the Covid-19 virus and the steps countries are taking to protect their citizenry.  Yesterday, I read that Hong Kong started loosening up restrictions and has seen a resurgence of the virus.  I think in view of these situations and the lack of an effective cure or vaccine, our wonderful cruises may well be postponed through the summer.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, SLSD said:

I predict there will be no cruises this summer.  

Especially with the Sojourn. Unless they re-deploy it elsewhere, Canada has closed it's ports to cruise ships until July 1st - Sojourn was to begin Alaska itineraries on May 31st. And it needs those Canadian ports in order to comply with the requirements in the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886.

7 hours ago, SLSD said:

I am basing it on everything I've read about the spreading of the Covid-19 virus and the steps countries are taking to protect their citizenry.  Yesterday, I read that Hong Kong started loosening up restrictions and has seen a resurgence of the virus.  I think in view of these situations and the lack of an effective cure or vaccine, our wonderful cruises may well be postponed through the summer.  

Try Fall of 2021.

OK. Carnival has officially canceled cruise operations in Australia until May 15th. Therefore they must soon announce similar cancellations for their US and Europe operations, would they not? Then their Seabourn division would follow suit and a new world order will be established (at least til May!) And finally my med cruise will be cancelled! May the force be with the rest of you shipmates whose cruises are being held hostage by this virus. 

In the mean time, this is posted on Oceania's website under travel advisories as of March 25th (yes, you read it correctly - yesterday. March 25th):

Oceania Cruises
General Travel Advisory and Coronavirus Protocol Update 3/25/20

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As of March 13, 2020, Oceania Cruises has initiated a voluntary suspension of all voyages worldwide embarking from March 13 through April 11, 2020. Voyages already underway on March 13, 2020 will be concluded and guests disembarked as soon as possible. This measure is being taken in an abundance of caution. We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020.

What are they thinking? Who are they listening to?

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020.

What are they thinking? Who are they listening to?

Aspirational?  After all, April 12 is Easter Sunday ... and wouldn't that be beautiful. 😉

I don’t know why you are saying shame on Del Rio, that is the policy at the moment for all but Royal Caribbean.   Other lines will extend their dates when they make that decision.   I still have hopes that our cruise on the Quest could still go even with different or even no ports except for their private island(s).   Guess we will have to sit tight and wait but it’s better than us canceling.

1 minute ago, MightyQuinn said:

Aspirational?  After all, April 12 is Easter Sunday ... and wouldn't that be beautiful. 😉

I can't think of anyone I know - thankfully - that would even think about cruising on April 12th, much less doing it  but I am sure there are people who would.

Probably the same people who crowded the beaches in Florida or people in some states who continue to live as if nothing was going on.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I don’t know why you are saying shame on Del Rio, that is the policy at the moment for all but Royal Caribbean.   Other lines will extend their dates when they make that decision.   I still have hopes that our cruise on the Quest could still go even with different or even no ports except for their private island(s).   Guess we will have to sit tight and wait but it’s better than us canceling.

I think I am on the same cruise as you (20 April Quest Miami/Barcelona).  How can that happen for what could be a third or more of passengers who are European and can't fly into US to embark and there are no airlines taking us anywhere ?!   Nothing will be changing in the UK in the next 3 weeks with our lockdown,  we are still on a scary upward curve.  

I agree, we are stitting tight too!    I just wish SB would make some decisions but I suppose they are not ready for the flood of refund and FCC requests.  

• Like 1

"Carnival Corp. delays announcement about further cruise cancellations until May 30th. What are these clowns waiting for? Is Micky Arison  hoping Trump will bail him out over the weekend? Cowards the lot of them! "

Maybe you should take a course in reading comprehension. The decision is delayed to March 30/20 according to Carnival Corp.