Carnival removed a ton of cruises from the site.

lizord

All cruises till May 12 were removed from the site as well as all Carnival Miracle sailings till October have been removed. I expect the hear about these cruises cancelled on Friday. I don't understand why Miracles Alaska season has been removed while Spirit's is still being sold, maybe the gov. took carnival up on the medical ships offer and miracle will serve for San Francisco or L.A

• Like 1

Carnival and the other cruise lines are trying to decide how to start up. There is no way they can fill all of the ships so some will remained docked- maybe for good. I cannot see Carnival having multiple ships sailing from Galveston, New Orleans, and even Miami. Some of the single ship ports will be closed. John Heald asked if people will want to cruise to nowhere so this could be a plan to get folks on the ships. After sitting in a self quarantine for weeks, the ship should be clear of the virus so short cruises out to sea should be safe. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

Thanks.  Do they really make official announcements that way?

This wasn't an official announcement. Yes it was by Carnival - it was to stop the spreading of speculation. 

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

Carnival and the other cruise lines are trying to decide how to start up. There is no way they can fill all of the ships so some will remained docked- maybe for good. I cannot see Carnival having multiple ships sailing from Galveston, New Orleans, and even Miami. Some of the single ship ports will be closed. John Heald asked if people will want to cruise to nowhere so this could be a plan to get folks on the ships. After sitting in a self quarantine for weeks, the ship should be clear of the virus so short cruises out to sea should be safe. 

I'd be fine with this if they can fine warm weather - I know they are trying to work around the Jones act to get Alaska sailings back asap. 

We are booked Aug 24 on Miracle out of SF to Alaska...was hoping it would be ok by then. Not sure if its something about the port of SF or the Miracle...either way I also noticed poof its gone ( although our booking is still there)

John Heald asked if people will want to cruise to nowhere so this could be a plan to get folks on the ships. After sitting in a self quarantine for weeks, the ship should be clear of the virus so short cruises out to sea should be safe.

The one obstacle is cruises to nowhere are not legal. Someone with more knowledge can explain this far better than I can.  I only know they are not allowed from U.S. ports. 

Nope...won't happen and I wouldn't go.

People are supposed to be sitting in quarantine...but many aren't.  Even people who think they are sitting in quarantine most likely aren't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

We are booked Aug 24 on Miracle out of SF to Alaska...was hoping it would be ok by then. Not sure if its something about the port of SF or the Miracle...either way I also noticed poof its gone ( although our booking is still there)

Same here Pinto.  I have s sneaking suspicion it's the port of San Francisco.

baf

27 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

Same for me.  My wife and I are booked on the 9/17 cruise to Hawaii out of San Francisco and it's no longer showing on the website.  It was there 2 days ago when I did some price checking, but it's totally gone now.

Garnett

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Before you get in a hurry to book New Orleans  tap into local New Orleans news. Half the louisiana’s LARGE amount of cases are in New Orleans. Hopefully nothing else comes of this awful news. Showed on the news last night rats are running wild in the quarter. No people to hide from. 

4 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Smart to not have them available either way. A bunch of people are running around a social media site telling people to book april cruises for the FCC and OBC

In all fairness, that type of thing is happening here on the forum, too. Someone said they called to inquire about cancelling (I don't think it was out of malice) and the rep. got them over $200 in additional credit. That prompted someone else to say they were going to call and pretend to cancel to see if they could get a cabin upgrade. It's sad that people try to take advantage like that and spreading it around the internet only makes it worse.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, cruisinmeme said:

Before you get in a hurry to book New Orleans  tap into local New Orleans news. Half the louisiana’s LARGE amount of cases are in New Orleans. Hopefully nothing else comes of this awful news. Showed on the news last night rats are running wild in the quarter. No people to hide from. 

It’s bad in the New Orleans area right now. 1,300

cases in the state and over 900 are in Orleans and Jefferson parishes. That’s going to have to get under control before cruising resumes from New Orleans. 

3 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

John Heald asked if people will want to cruise to nowhere so this could be a plan to get folks on the ships. After sitting in a self quarantine for weeks, the ship should be clear of the virus so short cruises out to sea should be safe. 

Ships haven't been sitting in quarantine for weeks. The ones that have been in port the longest haven't even been there two weeks yet. News of the shut-down dropped on the 12th or 13th. Carnival confirmed that they'd begin their shut-down on the 14th. In all reality, the virus could still exist on some of these ships. They aren't sitting empty, they do still have crew aboard, at least partial crews. Theoretically, they could be carriers of the virus. We debarked the Horizon on March 15th. That's only 10 days ago. There were several ships, across multiple lines, still out at sea when we were headed back to Miami. The virus has the capability to incubate for up to 14 days without showing symptoms. The person would be contagious longer than many of the ships have been sitting idle.

I'm not trying to fearmonger. Personally, if we had one booked, I wouldn't hesitate to go as soon as they went back in service. I'm just pointing out that the fact that the ships have been sitting for the time that they have doesn't necessarily make them clear of the virus. With that said, I don't think there's anything to worry about. We were in the middle of our cruise when the nation went nuts with fear, but no one on board was concerned. Or at least no one showed it. I was confident in their safety measures at that time and am confident in the cleaning I'm sure they performed, and probably continue to, while out of action.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Ships haven't been sitting in quarantine for weeks. The ones that have been in port the longest haven't even been there two weeks yet. News of the shut-down dropped on the 12th or 13th. Carnival confirmed that they'd begin their shut-down on the 14th. In all reality, the virus could still exist on some of these ships. They aren't sitting empty, they do still have crew aboard, at least partial crews. Theoretically, they could be carriers of the virus. We debarked the Horizon on March 15th. That's only 10 days ago. There were several ships, across multiple lines, still out at sea when we were headed back to Miami. The virus has the capability to incubate for up to 14 days without showing symptoms. The person would be contagious longer than many of the ships have been sitting idle.

I'm not trying to fearmonger. Personally, if we had one booked, I wouldn't hesitate to go as soon as they went back in service. I'm just pointing out that the fact that the ships have been sitting for the time that they have doesn't necessarily make them clear of the virus. With that said, I don't think there's anything to worry about. We were in the middle of our cruise when the nation went nuts with fear, but no one on board was concerned. Or at least no one showed it. I was confident in their safety measures at that time and am confident in the cleaning I'm sure they performed, and probably continue to, while out of action.

traces of the virus were found on the Diamond Princess 17 days after the last passenger was off the ship.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/diamond-princess-traces-coronavirus-17-days-ship-emptied/story?id=69755804

• Like 3

To piggyback on this. It’s not even about the ship being clear it’s about the people coming on the ship being clear. If someone contracted the virus and is in an incubation period when they get on the ship or is asymptomatic then the cycle starts all over again.
  • Like 4