March 25, 2020 Oceania Update

bbtondo

8 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Well, I can no longer worry about when O is sailing as our grandaughter who is a nurse has a husband and year old baby just was confirmed to have coronavirus..prayers for Paige will be very welcome..right now she is sheltering at home..her symptons were no sense of smell or taste..so be aware..

Jancruz1

So sorry to read this, Jan. I am glad she is not hospitalized and everyone caring for her stays safe. Our thoughts and prayers for your granddaughter and all your family.

8 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Well, I can no longer worry about when O is sailing as our grandaughter who is a nurse has a husband and year old baby just was confirmed to have coronavirus..prayers for Paige will be very welcome..right now she is sheltering at home..her symptons were no sense of smell or taste..so be aware..

Jancruz1

Best wishes for her speedy recovery. 

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I wish others had the courage to act more responsibly - including Governors of some of the States.

I agree

also some PM 's of some Countries

Finally they are  having Mandatory isolation for those returning to Canada

Too late  for those  thousands that are already home  & wandering about

Our numbers jumped from about 1000  early last week to over 4000 as of yesterday across Canada

I hate to see what the cases are  today

My niece  is  a PSW  here & has been working 14 days straight

I pray for all those  that work on the front line  that they do not get hit  while looking after others

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Hardly surprising but a wise decision.

I wish others had the courage to act more responsibly - including Governors of some of the States.

They're not closed to cargo but that's down significantly.

And have any US ports done anything?

On 3/26/2020 at 7:33 AM, Fam_Cruise said:

Yes, and the rules haven't changed but it is important to note the following highlighted in bold:

Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.

When you click on the CDC link it will show you a map and who has widespread ongoing transmissions. 

What I find interesting is this pretty much includes ALL of Europe (which translates to no European cruises) and it also includes Canada whose Total Active Cases/1 million population is 84 (total active cases of  3188); whereas the US has 67117 active case which translates to 203 active cases per million population.  Why isn't the US considered widespread ongoing transmission by the CDC?   Actually China and South Korea have 3 and 97 active cases per million respectively; much lower infection rate than the US.

I think quite a few people at Oceania are in a severe state of denial. AND, CDC is not holding the US to the same standards as it is rest of the world.

Yes, I'm quoting my own post. 

Sometime in the past couple days the CDC map has gone to Widespread Ongoing Transmission status for ALL countries including the US.  So according to their own rules, as shown in my previous post and on Os web site, anyone visiting theses countries within 30 days prior to boarding will be denied boarding.  So in essence all cruises are cancelled for the next 30 days is the way I interpret that.  Of course O probably won't update their list of cancelled cruises until the last minute so people who are unwilling to wait it out will jump at the FCC instead of waiting for a refund.  Yes, I suppose I am a bit cynical in that regard.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/map-and-travel-notices.html 

I cannot believe that this is still on O's website:

"We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020"

Today is March 28th.  This is totally unacceptable to me.  This game of chicken needs to end. It makes me wonder what news we'll hear when they decide to announce it.  Are they  going out of business, bankrupt, etc. It sure is sounding like it to me.

What about all of their customers that have cruises scheduled after April 12th?  A lot of people head to a cruise a week before.  If they want to retain their customers, and that's a big "if" at this point, I would think they'd make an announcement. If they think people won't remember this, think again.  

We have a group that was headed to the Med after April 12th.  Obviously we're not going.  The entire group hates O at this point and wouldn't book them again for any reason.  I agree.  I put my money where my mouth is and booked next year on Viking.  Never again O. 

JMHO 

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

I cannot believe that this is still on O's website:

"We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020"

Today is March 28th.  This is totally unacceptable to me.  This game of chicken needs to end. It makes me wonder what news we'll hear when they decide to announce it.  Are they  going out of business, bankrupt, etc. It sure is sounding like it to me.

What about all of their customers that have cruises scheduled after April 12th?  A lot of people head to a cruise a week before.  If they want to retain their customers, and that's a big "if" at this point, I would think they'd make an announcement. If they think people won't remember this, think again.  

We have a group that was headed to the Med after April 12th.  Obviously we're not going.  The entire group hates O at this point and wouldn't book them again for any reason.  I agree.  I put my money where my mouth is and booked next year on Viking.  Never again O. 

JMHO 

Just relax, O is not going out of business and why couldnt I find that on their website today??

Jancruz1

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Just relax, O is not going out of business and why couldnt I find that on their website today??

Jancruz1

If you go to the home page and scroll endlessly down to the bottom, in the tiny print under guest services you will find it under coronavirus statement.

1 hour ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

First, I am so sorry that this virus is affecting your family. I can only imagine how scary and terrible this is for you.

Now, back to Oceania.   I don't understand how you don't see this on Oceania's site.  It makes me wonder how much insight you have regarding Oceania.  On another one of my posts you also questioned where I got my information which was also posted on Oceania's site. . Are you so involved with the company that you don't want me to draw attention to this?  All of it I found on Oceania's webpage for everyone to see. It's right on their webpage as we speak.

I am relaxed.  You are giving the impression that what I am posted is not accurate. I have to say that this gives the impression that you are trying to give false information to people.  I don't understand.  

Oceania Cruises
General Travel Advisory and Coronavirus Protocol Update 3/25/20

GENERAL TRAVEL ADVISORY

The safety, security and well-being of our guests and crew is our number one priority. As of March 13, 2020, Oceania Cruises has initiated a voluntary suspension of all voyages worldwide embarking from March 13 through April 11, 2020. Voyages already underway on March 13, 2020 will be concluded and guests disembarked as soon as possible. This measure is being taken in an abundance of caution. We will plan to recommence and operate with embarkations beginning April 12, 2020.

COVID-19 TRAVEL AND HEALTH PROTOCOLS FOR VOYAGES EMBARKING APRIL 12, 2020 ONWARD

We have proactively implemented a comprehensive set of preventative measures outlined below to address concerns regarding COVID-19. We will continue to consult with The World Health Organization (WHO), the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other global public health and industry associations and will take additional preventative actions as deemed necessary.

Policies currently in place, which are subject to change, include the following

• All embarking guests will be asked to complete and submit a Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire certifying their current health status and recent travel history. In addition, all embarking persons will be administered a non-touch fever temperature check.

Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

• Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html) within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who in the last 30 days have come into known direct contact with anyone who has traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea, Iran, or countries or regions identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html). Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
  • Guests who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in identified COVID-19 quarantine or containment zones within 30 days of their voyage embarkation, regardless of nationality. Travel companions of these guests who share the same stateroom will also be denied boarding.
  • Any guest with a temperature detected at or above 100.4F / 38C.
  • All persons who, within 30 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.
  • All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions.

Guests who are denied boarding will be issued a refund for monies paid for their cruise- only expenditures in the form of a 100% future cruise credit.

Additional Precautionary Measures

• While on board, any persons who exhibit symptoms of any respiratory illness, flu-like symptoms, cough or a fever above 100.4F/38C will be subject to additional screening at our onboard Medical Center and may be subject to potential quarantine and disembarkation.

Travel Restrictions for Certain Passport Holders

• Certain countries have put into place additional restrictions for port entry and passenger disembarkation. These often include denying entry to certain passport holders or requiring additional medical documentation or screenings. Guests with certain passports and who are on voyages impacted by port restrictions will be notified prior to sailing.

Along with the aforementioned policies we have implemented additional cleaning and disinfection protocols on board all of our ships. These protocols will be strictly enforced in addition to our already rigorous sanitization standards in place.

The above measures will remain in effect until further notice and are subject to change at any time as we evaluate the situation and continue to consult with local health authorities as well as the WHO and the CDC.

In addition to the aforementioned protocols, we have cancelled or redeployed a number of sailings previously operating in areas of concern. We maintain the flexibility to alter itineraries as needed to avoid these areas and will continue to closely monitor the areas in which we operate and take appropriate action as necessary.

We apologize for the inconvenience to any guests affected by these new measures which have been put in place to ensure the safety, health and well-being of all our guests and crew.

For frequently asked questions and information regarding the Coronavirus, please visit the following websites:

I havee to say at this point, even just three days old, this policy sounds, at best: tone deaf and blind to facts, and at worse:  moronic.

While I continue to have empathy for most of the employees of O, it's time to bite the bullet, pull the plug through May, and just state up front it's going to be a while before the back office manages to process everyone's refund.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/coronavirus-statement

This is clearly posted on the top of Oceania's website right at the top under Travel Updates.  It is front and center.

I'ts just not showing that way on my desktop.  It's way down at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I havee to say at this point, even just three days old, this policy sounds, at best: tone deaf and blind to facts, and at worse:  moronic.

While I continue to have empathy for most of the employees of O, it's time to bite the bullet, pull the plug through May, and just state up front it's going to be a while before the back office manages to process everyone's refund.  

It's not three days old it's about three weeks old. It was just modified to some minor extent three days ago.

Edited by njhorseman

17 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

I'ts just not showing that way on my desktop.  It's way down at the bottom.

Using both Chrome or Explorer it is right at the top of Oceania's website in a tan box.  I'm not sure why you're not seeing that.

Found it.  I use chrome.  I opened explorer (been ages since I opened it), and found it in a bar at the top.  There is an x to close the box, and I must have x-ed out the box in chrome on an earlier date.  Mystery solved.

My TA got back to me finally about transferring my $1500 deposit to a cruise in August 2021 after I cancel the current June cruise. They will charge $500 admin fee to do this, in the form of a one time FCC, and I have to send them an additional $500.

So if things go downhill and I had to cancel the next cruise I am out $500. Very bad customer retention policy. I am about to abandon Oceania forever with their customer unfriendly policies and lack of updating their website. No way in hell they will be resuming sailing in April, let alone May or June. Shame on you Oceania. There is no excuse for running a business this way.

It looks like Oceania is hoping people will cancel themselves before Oceania cancels so O can keep the $500 admin fee. The attitude coming through load and clear is "we don't really care about our loyal customers. Whatever".

My next booked cruise is with Windstar and if they survive they will likely be my cruise line of choice along with Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

It's not three days old it's about three weeks old. It was just modified to some minor extent three days ago.

That is technically true but when it states "update 3/25/20" it makes it look like it is if not new at least current( and 3 days old).

And for it to be current seems very odd at best.

• Like 2

We were booked on the Polynesian cruise from Tahiti leaving 3/26/2020. It was canceled and we are awaiting a full refund from Oceania as promised. We had taken out a separate ins. policy independent of Oceania. The company is AIG. They are refusing to give a refund. Only will allow a credit for a future cruise. Has anyone out there received a full refund from their ins. company whether AIG or other? Thanks.

33 minutes ago, sydivy said:

We had taken out a separate ins. policy independent of Oceania. The company is AIG. They are refusing to give a refund.

Have they given you a specific reason why they are refusing it?

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

That is technically true but when it states "update 3/25/20" it makes it look like it is if not new at least current( and 3 days old).

And for it to be current seems very odd at best.

I can't say with certainty what changed three days ago, but I can't identify any substantive change. Probably a minor tweak at most. I think people are trying to read too much into the statement because  most of it is moot at this point as cruising is suspended.

I think we'll see a new policy posted early next week when they decide how far they're going to extend the cancellation of cruises....which I'm guessing will extend for another month to six weeks. I think it will eventually extend further than that but they're trying to manage their cash flow and work load by limiting cruise cancellations to a few weeks at a time. At some point when cruising is ready to resume they'll clean up the policy. 

45 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Have they given you a specific reason why they are refusing it?

Having been in both the travel and insurance businesses, I'm not aware of any company that will give you a  refund for a policy that is cancelled because you or the travel provider cancelled the trip .  Once you've passed the "free look" period on the policy...typically two weeks or so, all they'll do is give you a credit towards a future policy.

1 hour ago, sydivy said:

We were booked on the Polynesian cruise from Tahiti leaving 3/26/2020. It was canceled and we are awaiting a full refund from Oceania as promised. We had taken out a separate ins. policy independent of Oceania. The company is AIG. They are refusing to give a refund. Only will allow a credit for a future cruise. Has anyone out there received a full refund from their ins. company whether AIG or other? Thanks.

Do you mean a refund of the insurance premium?

I have cancelled a trip in the past & the ins company gave me a credit to use on a future trip