Been calm but now

golfer1903

38 minutes ago, whitford said:

Yellowstone Park is closed until further notice.

So disappointed, but understand why.  When our cruise was canceled we booked our other most favorite vacation (we go every 1-2 years).  We were ok with Xanterra closing restaurants and hotels, we have a booking in Gardiner with a full kitchen.  We're hanging onto it *just in case* they open again by our May 4-8 reservation, but know we'll get there eventually when traveling is an option again.

2 hours ago, golfer1903 said:

If I cancel before they cancel it won’t I lose my money as I do not have any info about a even credit. As I am way past final payment 

You won't lose all your money.  And frankly I would rather have most of my money than FCC.  HAL isn't really advertising this but I believe they have to honor the Cruise Contract.

You should read this on the Holland America web site:

Effective with Summer 2020 voyages, the revised policy is as follows:

GRAND WORLD, GRAND VOYAGES, ANY SEGMENT OF A GRAND WORLD OR GRAND VOYAGE, 28+ DAY HAWAII, TAHITI & MARQUESAS, AMAZON EXPLORER, INCAN EMPIRES (INCLUDING SEGMENTS), 30+ DAY TRANSATLANTIC VOYAGES AND ANY SEGMENT OF A 30+ DAY TRANSATLANTIC:
120-91 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;
90-76 days before commencing travel: 60% of full fare;
75 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of full fare.

ALL OTHER VOYAGES 7 NIGHTS OR LONGER:
90-64 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement;
63-43 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare;
42-22 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare;
21 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare.

Here is the URL: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/legal-privacy/cancellation-policy-US-default.html

I understand where the OP is coming from here... I've got a HAL cruise to Alaska booked for May. They've had my deposit since August of last year and full payment for a month. They've now known for nearly 3 weeks that Alaska is canceled until July 1 at the earliest, but at this point I can't get a refund, only FCC (and the same cruise a year from now is $300 more per person and comes with none of the OBC or dining perks of my currently booked cruise). The airline and AirBnB's compassion policies don't extend into May/June, so while the travel industry is about to get a bailout for their troubles, many of us are out of luck.

• Like 1

Stuff happens & this pandemic is the worst of my lifetime except for 911. We cancelled the 5 week Voyage of the Vikings this summer. Have reservations to fly to London end of May. Highlight was all day tour of Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey), but forfeiting everything unless Trip Advisor lets us reschedule, & a family reunion in Vegas the end of June. Our spring & summer plans are not happening, but hopefully, this horrible pandemic will die out. Travel might happen next year. Health more important to us at this time. 

1 minute ago, WFBgal said:

Highlight was all day tour of Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey), but forfeiting everything unless Trip Advisor lets us reschedule

When you can get there, you'll love it.  We got there on our own (bus + taxi) a few years ago.  But I wanted to say that Trip Advisor has been great about refunds and rescheduling, I don't think you'll have a problem with them. 

Wish I could say the same for the Victoria Grayline Hop on Hop Off. They've closed their operations (which is understandable) but aren't replying to emails or sending refunds. 🙄

6 minutes ago, strickerj said:

I understand where the OP is coming from here... I've got a HAL cruise to Alaska booked for May. They've had my deposit since August of last year and full payment for a month. They've now known for nearly 3 weeks that Alaska is canceled until July 1 at the earliest, but at this point I can't get a refund, only FCC (and the same cruise a year from now is $300 more per person and comes with none of the OBC or dining perks of my currently booked cruise). The airline and AirBnB's compassion policies don't extend into May/June, so while the travel industry is about to get a bailout for their troubles, many of us are out of luck.

I understand as well.  Best thing to do is put in the request to get the money back and wait for all this to go where it is going.  No sense worrying later about FCC from one specific line when you can spend your money where you wish.

Cash is king right now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

I understand as well.  Best thing to do is put in the request to get the money back and wait for all this to go where it is going.  No sense worrying later about FCC from one specific line when you can spend your money where you wish.

Cash is king right now.

Agreed, I'd rather have the cash back, but at this point I'm not sure I can since my cruise isn't on HAL's list of eligible ones.

Cruising Along, thanks for info on Trip Advisor. My husband booked this back in September as my Xmas gift. He was told repeatedly tickets were non-refundable. We got travel insurance through American Airlines so we have to work with them to reschedule. Not in a big hurry to board a plane now....especially an international flight. I don’t want to get stuck in London either.

This will all pass, it’s just going to take awhile. I love cruising. I don’t want to stop, but our time isn’t now.

5 hours ago, golfer1903 said:

I see glacier bay is closed till July ?  Does that include cruise ships or just land type tours

It would be pretty hard to do a land tour of Glacier Bay in the best of circumstances. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WFBgal said:

All National Parks closed as of yesterday. Stay home like the rest of the world. There’s no place to go anyway.

Not totally true.  Some have totally closed, some have closed campgrounds and visitor centers.  But, some are still open to day trips.  Zion NP has closed some of the high-density trails.  Arches NP has closed some of the high-density trails.  Just for full disclosure.

BLM land still has dispersed camping, I believe.  If you can dry camp, that's available.   

As soon as the snow stops and the back porch dries off, I think I'm going to set up tent and "camp" there for awhile!!!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:19 AM, golfer1903 said:

Yet you don’t worry ever year when so many more die from the flu every single year and even more get it and just get Ill and don’t get a flu shot?  

if your healthy it’s just like the flu. Everyone has there opinions and will not agree so maybe we leave it at that as this forum is not for this purpose I guess 

But, I am not healthy.  I am sixty-four years old with asthma, bronchiectasis, and immune system problems.  If I get a common cold it turns into bronchitis that requires aggressive treatment.

I have a very good reason to be scared. If I get the Covid-19 virus I have a good chance of ending up in the ICU. However, there is a good chance ICU beds and ventilators won't be available.

• Like 4

On 3/25/2020 at 7:17 AM, golfer1903 said:

Ok Hal. It’s been two weeks now since all broke loose 

your emails state Alaska cruises in May stay tuned while we work on current cruises don’t call us n

cant wait till last min to find out we been canceled have to make other plans for different type of vacation

Do the right thing already and send info on if Alaska’s or Seattle or what’s doing on with Canada and the laws  around there closure 

I see glacier bay is closed till July ?  Does that include cruise ships or just land type tours

i understand the let’s be kind and wait but a lot of us suffer from anxiety and need some type of info or update or final decision so we can carry on

Just an FYI: Glacier Bay is only cruising. No walking just stay on the ship and enjoy:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Yes this is serious - where we live in the UK we have few people tested positive, but that’s because we’re only testing those who end up in hospital. There are lots of people who have it and don’t have symptoms, but some get very ill. My son-in-law is recovering from it. He’s a very fit guy in his 40s but he was really poorly. He had to have a night in hospital with oxygen support because he couldn’t breathe. He’s been exhausted, hasn’t eaten for a week (this is a guy who loves his food), couldn’t think, couldn’t speak. Believe me this is very nasty -the media are NOT exaggerating and it doesn’t only affect us ‘oldies’. Listen to the scientists and do as they say.

• Like 7

On 3/25/2020 at 12:50 PM, TiogaCruiser said:

It would be pretty hard to do a land tour of Glacier Bay in the best of circumstances. 

Fly into Gustavus, stay in the glacier bay lodge.  Take the day tour around the bay.  As well as other options including kayak trips up the arm the cruise ships don't visit.

Pretty easy during normal times.

Edited by npcl

On 3/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, sppunk said:

You aren’t going to Alaska in May. And you aren’t taking an alternative vacation either. 

sppunk!

OMG best words  ever👍👍👍👍👍👍

No wonder you have 31 LIKES😊

Denise

• Like 1

16 hours ago, steve4031 said:

Thyme2go, your description of how all of this started was very helpful and informative for me.  I understood in general that this was serious, but your explanation helped me why it was serious.  

Stay safe in Chicago!!   : )