Patrick Watts Tours - Falkland Islands

Beachvue

Recently returned from Viking’s South America and Chilean Fjords Cruise.   Used Patrick Watts in the Falkland Islands.   Highly recommend this tour group.  We took the off the road excursion to Volunteer  Point.  We were with two others in a 4x4 vehicle, which was an experience in of itself.  Our driver Kenton was excellent.  A 6th generation of the Falklands. Learned so much of the history of the Islands from Kenton including the war in which his Aunt and Uncle were prisoners.  Very nice young man.   At the end of the rugged  terrain, we were treated with white-sand beaches and thousands of Magellanic penguins.  Also many gentoo and Magellanic penguins.  Fantastic tour and reasonably priced.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, Beachvue said:

Recently returned from Viking’s South America and Chilean Fjords Cruise.   Used Patrick Watts in the Falkland Islands.   Highly recommend this tour group.  We took the off the road excursion to Volunteer  Point.  We were with two others in a 4x4 vehicle, which was an experience in of itself.  Our driver Kenton was excellent.  A 6th generation of the Falklands. Learned so much of the history of the Islands from Kenton including the war in which his Aunt and Uncle were prisoners.  Very nice young man.   At the end of the rugged  terrain, we were treated with white-sand beaches and thousands of Magellanic penguins.  Also many gentoo and Magellanic penguins.  Fantastic tour and reasonably priced.

The main highlight of Volunteer Point is the 2000+  pairs of King Penguins.    Actually the Magellanic Penguins moved down the coast a few years ago and are mostly in a blocked off area now for reestablishment.   But they are seen,  just not in the numbers they were.   

On 3/25/2020 at 9:58 AM, Beachvue said:

How long was the drive to Volunteer Point? The "experience" you eluded to.....should I read between the lines that it is not for the faint of heart and/or those prone to motion sickness? 

It was a 2 hr drive each way.  It was very “bouncy” as you are in a 4 wheel drive over rough terrain.  If you have a bad back, this might not be the trip for you.  Otherwise, it was a wonderful experience.  There is a bathroom stop an hour in, both to and from.  The drive itself was a great experience and we had a wonderful guide who was so knowledgeable.  There is so much I loved about this cruise and when I asked what I liked the best, it is hard to answer.  But I do say the Falklands was one my highlights.  Hope this helps.  

Some vehicles may be bigger than others, as we were crammed into a 4 X 4 with one other couple and for me, the ride was uncomfortable.  My husband sat in the front seat on the way to Volunteer Point as he has a leg problem.  The rest of us were squished into the back and I felt every bump and dip in the uneven terrain.  I constantly kept bumping my head and my shoulder into the side of the vehicle and after two hours of this, I had a headache and was sure that my shoulder was bruised.  I took the front seat on the way back because I didn't think I could do another two hours of bumping and smashing.  Our driver was excellent in telling us stories and the history of the Falkland Islands.  Lunch was fun in the open air - sandwiches, chips, candy bar and other non edible surprises.  The penguins were the highlight of the tour and we enjoyed our time at Volunteer Point.  Patrick Watts was very easy to communicate with as we planned and booked our tour and we enjoyed some time in Stanley at the end of the tour.  Would I do the tour again - yes, definitely.  Just be prepared for a lot of jostling around on the uneven ground to get there.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 2:50 PM, waltd said:

Has anyone done the shorter tour that they offer?    Looking for something less stressful on the back but would still like to see the area.

Thanks

I've done both.  First time we did Volunteer point, and it was outstanding.  For the second trip we decided to do the shorter tour, since the VP one had a huge waitlist from our roll call.  It was also great.  It was easier for people with back issues, since most of it was on roads.  We went to two different penguin spots, and got a tour of Stanley in between.  Our guide dropped us in town by the grocery store, since that's where our friends in the car with us wanted to go (and I did too).  We also stopped at the wreck of the SS Lady Elizabeth, which we'd seen in a TV show.

• 3 months later...