Travel Insurance on cancelled trip

rindybar

16 minutes ago, HouLady said:

If your cruise was cancelled, were you able to get your trip insurance cost credited back to you. My TA said they won’t give a refund.

To my knowledge they will not give a refund.  This would apply to insurance issued through the cruise lines as well as third party carriers. 

But if you reschedule a cancelled cruise, many third party carriers will transfer the coverage to that newly scheduled cruise if requested that within 15 days of making that new booking, thus preserving your premium paid.  You (or your TA) would have to contact that carrier to confirm their policies.

If you don't cancel, but transfer a booking instead to a new itinerary prior to final payment, many cruise lines may transfer the insurance purchased through them to a new booking.  But refunds are not issued on premiums paid to my knowledge.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes that’s what my TA told me but we are not rescheduling at this time. Since what is happening is unprecedented, and a lot of other industries are giving refunds, I think insurance companies should follow suit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HouLady said:

Yes that’s what my TA told me but we are not rescheduling at this time. Since what is happening is unprecedented, and a lot of other industries are giving refunds, I think insurance companies should follow suit.

Be realistic. The best you'll get is that transfer to another cruise (or qualifying land trip).

We just delayed the start of a MedJet Assist annual subscription from a recent cruise line cancelled upcoming cruise start date (this May) to the start of a future cruise (this November). And we're about to request moving an individual comprehensive travel policy from the period of that cancelled cruise to the same future one.

That said, one of the biggest issues with most, if not all, travel insurance is that fear of disease and/or issues related to epidemics/pandemics are not "covered events." Of course, there's the more expensive "cancel for any reason" options. But, that option is becoming much harder to find these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought the cruise and insurance through a major travel agent.  The policy was written with Chubb, they allowed me to use the policy through July 31, 2021, just call them back and let them know the cruise details.

Edited by bobgep
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HouLady said:

I like your reasoning.

Let me know when you start your own travel insurance company. If you institute that policy, I'll buy from you, if you're still in business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HouLady said:

There is no valid or logical reason for them to refund your premium. Insurance is bought, in part, as a protection against loss of funds paid (along with many other overages on your trip) for your vacation.  If you have no need to use it, the premium is accepted by most who buy it as the cost of reassurance and is lost, with or without a claim being made. 

In other words, if you took your trip and had no issues, you clearly would not have filed a claim and would - more importantly - also not get a refund on your premium simply because you ended up not needing it. 

With your cancelled cruise, I am sure you received - depending on cruise line - a future cruise credit, refund, or both, so you were kept whole on your trip cost.  Why should you get a refund then on the insurance that you bought to protect that?  Again, had you gone on your trip and not made a claim, you would not get a refund then either. 

Does your car insurance refund your premium because you had no reason to make a claim and had no loss from driving it?  Think about it.....

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Devil’s Advocate

But - they covered the risk you incurred by driving your car even if you didn’t have an accident.

l’m not sure how much risk the travel insurance company covered if you did not take the trip. I suppose they covered the risk of cancellation by the policyholder from the time the policy was in effect until the cruise line cancelled. At that point, they were relieved of any responsibility since the cruise line provided compensation.

Edited by Babr
  • Thanks 1

I'm beginning to see ?????? an answer to my question, which someone else had ask.  All I can say it is MONEY in the INSURANCE company's pocket. I would NOT expect the insurance company to reimburse me "IF" I had flown/cruised on the dates specified in the contract that they were covering, but did not, as everything was cancelled out before the 8 of us ever left home.

If you bought an appliance and insurance  for it, then the store cancelled your order and returned your money back - should they return your insurance cost?

I usually get travel insurance for main reason is to get medical coverage if needed during the trip,  secondary is to protect the cost of the trip.

Since the cruise line cancelled the trip - there is nothing to cover. Cost of the insurance should be returned in one form or another. Since as of now - no plans to travel - I would like my CC to be credited.

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

If you bought an appliance and insurance  for it, then the store cancelled your order and returned your money back - should they return your insurance cost?

I usually get travel insurance for main reason is to get medical coverage if needed during the trip,  secondary is to protect the cost of the trip.

Since the cruise line cancelled the trip - there is nothing to cover. Cost of the insurance should be returned in one form or another. Since as of now - no plans to travel - I would like my CC to be credited.

You didn't buy "insurance" for your appliance. You bought an extended maintenance agreement that doesn't take affect until after the manufacturers warranty runs out. And yes, you would get the money back for the extended maintenance agreement if you never took possession of your appliance.

🤣 Good try 🤣 but not even close to being in the same league.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

Just not that simple. 

If the policy requires covering all door-to-door expenses (non-refundable or, with some policies, even refundable costs), there are often other very expensive items like air tickets, pre/post cruise hotels, show tix, etc for which you are not getting any money back from the cruise line.

For example: We've got a five figure airfare cost coming up in November. Because we want a PEC waiver for our trip, it has to be included in the comprehensive policy coverage. If the cruise line cancels, we will get 100% back on cruise fare paid (it's in the standard Oceania T&Cs). But that airfare is a separate item which may require negotiation with United ic they're still flying our multi-city route (SF to Athens and Dubai to SF).

As aforementioned, best bet with travel insurance for cruise line cancelation is to request transfer to a future cruise and make that ask before what would have been the penalty deadlines start for the cancelled cruise.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, rindybar said:

Did anyone purchase travel insurance, then have the cruise line cancel the trip? What happened to the money you paid towards the insurance?

Thanks

Hi Rindybar,

For a 3rd party non-travel supplier plan, it will depend on what happened to the money you paid to your travel suppliers.

If you get a full refund in cash many companies will refund your premium.

If you get you get Future Travel Credits from your cancelled trip, you will be able to change the policy dates to cover a future trip. Some companies give you a credit voucher for the premium you paid.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

Hi Isabella,

The main difference is that travel insurance was obligated to pay you if you had a covered reason to file a claim on your policy.

Did you get all the money back from your travel suppliers?

Steve Dasseos

22 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Rindybar,

For a 3rd party non-travel supplier plan, it will depend on what happened to the money you paid to your travel suppliers.

If you get a full refund in cash many companies will refund your premium.

If you get you get Future Travel Credits from your cancelled trip, you will be able to change the policy dates to cover a future trip. Some companies give you a credit voucher for the premium you paid.

I hope this helps.

Steve Dasseos

Thank you

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:26 AM, LINDAE3213 said:

Travel guard gave me a voucher good for 2 years to use for my cxld Freedom cruise.  It just came Fri and I applied March 16th.  I will apply it to a future trip.

Can you tell me where you found the link to apply for this voucher?

On 3/29/2020 at 5:26 AM, LINDAE3213 said:

Travel guard gave me a voucher good for 2 years to use for my cxld Freedom cruise.  It just came Fri and I applied March 16th.  I will apply it to a future trip.

Hi Lindae3213,

Your Travel Guard voucher is transferable so if you cannot use it you may allow anyone else, like a family member, to use it.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just spoke with Travelex regarding my travel insurance for our (cancelled) Panama Canal cruise aboard NCL Bliss.  As has been mentioned, I won't be able to get a refund for the premium I paid (unless I can prove that all of the money has been refunded to me by the cruise line, airlines, etc.  That won't happen until July at the earliest, so . . .).  What I can (and will) do is request a "One Time Date Transfer" to switch the policy to another trip.  I will have to start that trip within a year of my cancelled trip.  It's my understanding that if the new trip costs less than the original trip, I can request a prorated refund of the difference in premium.  I purchased this policy through squaremouth.com.

• Thanks 1