Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Hope P&O follow suit with this.

 

Dear Carole,

While our ships take a brief pause until May 11, we want to say thank you for sticking with us. As a sign of encouragement for our team. As a support to the people, companies and communities who rely on us. As a vote of confidence that we will find solutions to address this virus together. And as a symbol to the world that what connects us is stronger than what divides us.  

To give you peace of mind, Princess will let you cancel any cruise that sets sail from May 11 through July 31, 2020, as long as you cancel at least 48 hours before you sail. You will receive a Future Cruise Credit, which can be used toward any Princess cruise through December 31, 2021.

Additionally, for cruises sailing August 1 through October 15, 2020: If you've booked by April 30, 2020, on these cruises, you can now cancel up to 30 days before sailing and receive a Future Cruise Credit for the amount of your cancellation fee. Learn more about our Cruise with Confidence program here.

With your support, we will emerge from this time of trial even stronger. We look forward to serving you and connecting the world for years to come.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P&O don't seem to be doing much for their customers. Days after we cancelled a Princess cruise, the company announced that people who had cancelled after a certain date (20th January from memory) would get full compensation. However, when we cancelled a P&O cruise, we were slugged the full cancellation penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cruise lines will have to cancel in which case they will need to provide a refund. This is a method of retaining the cash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pushka said:

The cruise lines will have to cancel in which case they will need to provide a refund. This is a method of retaining the cash. 

Yes, I agree. 

I had one booked for October, would have had to pay in full in July for them to give me a FCC if the cruise doesn't go ahead in October, with a deadline to take the next cruise, no thanks!!

There are a lot of disillusioned people out there who think their cruises will go ahead in a couple of months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cheznandy said:

Yes, I agree. 

I had one booked for October, would have had to pay in full in July for them to give me a FCC if the cruise doesn't go ahead in October, with a deadline to take the next cruise, no thanks!!

There are a lot of disillusioned people out there who think their cruises will go ahead in a couple of months.


Not just that expectation with Princess either. The Celebrity boards are full of people expecting to travel in June. Celebrity cancelled the TA's to Europe next month. That's a sign of no Med cruises to me but do you reckon they've cancelled? Nup. They won't cancel until after final payment date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to not be cynical here but what seemed like goodwill gestures by the cruise lines are really starting to look like bad faith arrangements. They are cancelling cruises and offering Cash payouts (that may take weeks to happen) or 125% Future cruise credit. Unfortunately that same cruise at the same time in the same cabin only 1 year from now is suddenly 30% more so your 125% credit won't cover it. 

We are fortunate that our cruise, Auckland to Melbourne is not until January 2021 hopefully we won't be affected; but I would be thoroughly choked if I was in the same boat as so many find themselves in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm trying to not be cynical here but what seemed like goodwill gestures by the cruise lines are really starting to look like bad faith arrangements. They are cancelling cruises and offering Cash payouts (that may take weeks to happen) or 125% Future cruise credit. Unfortunately that same cruise at the same time in the same cabin only 1 year from now is suddenly 30% more so your 125% credit won't cover it. 

We are fortunate that our cruise, Auckland to Melbourne is not until January 2021 hopefully we won't be affected; but I would be thoroughly choked if I was in the same boat as so many find themselves in.


We are both cynics then. When our July cruise is cancelled I won't be accepting a voucher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm trying to not be cynical here but what seemed like goodwill gestures by the cruise lines are really starting to look like bad faith arrangements. They are cancelling cruises and offering Cash payouts (that may take weeks to happen) or 125% Future cruise credit. Unfortunately that same cruise at the same time in the same cabin only 1 year from now is suddenly 30% more so your 125% credit won't cover it. 

We are fortunate that our cruise, Auckland to Melbourne is not until January 2021 hopefully we won't be affected; but I would be thoroughly choked if I was in the same boat as so many find themselves in.

 

I suspected that would be the case. However, I am also aware that the aussie dollar has tanked and so for this reason also,  cruises will  be far more expensive for us next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, christodan said:

 

I suspected that would be the case. However, I am also aware that the aussie dollar has tanked and so for this reason also,  cruises will  be far more expensive for us next year.

A good point, also the original cruise price might well have been a bargain. Lucky we've all got so much time on our hands to give consideration to these issues. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Patiently waiting for our June 8 cruise on Sapphire to be pulled.....The Royal group extended their come back date, Carnival stated yesterday on Instagram that there will be an announcement Fri 27 in the US we should know Saturday... so I can't see a Princess and PO Australia announcement far behind that.     

Our cruise price was a bargain so can't be judged against current future pricing, if offered we will take the refund.   Looking forward to returning to cruising sometime in the future...❤️   

Stay safe everyone..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be wary people of refunds if you have booked through a TA, our TA wants to slug $600 of our money, that Princess cancelled on the Majestic Princess which was due to go to Singapore, we did not cancel Princess did, Princess were good in giving FCC, and refunding money back to TA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Be wary people of refunds if you have booked through a TA, our TA wants to slug $600 of our money, that Princess cancelled on the Majestic Princess which was due to go to Singapore, we did not cancel Princess did, Princess were good in giving FCC, and refunding money back to TA.

Many TA's will hit you up with an amendment or cancellation fee, often $300, yours could be per person, a bit over the tip. Another reason why I always booked direct with Princess to avoid such charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Be wary people of refunds if you have booked through a TA, our TA wants to slug $600 of our money, that Princess cancelled on the Majestic Princess which was due to go to Singapore, we did not cancel Princess did, Princess were good in giving FCC, and refunding money back to TA.

But you didn’t cancel! I know they are out of pocket but why do you need to carry that can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting on a refund cheque from 7 weeks ago, supposed to be 4-6 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Learned the lesson of booking with a TA and cancelling 10 years ago when we had to cancel due to husband's work and have never used a TA since.  Used a US TA for a cruise later this year but the drop in the Aussie $ did not make it worthwhile keeping and I did it early enough not to encounter any problems.  All money was returned and I made a slight profit.

 

I think we need to have a vaccine for the virus before ships are safe.  Yes, stay safe everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm trying to not be cynical here but what seemed like goodwill gestures by the cruise lines are really starting to look like bad faith arrangements. They are cancelling cruises and offering Cash payouts (that may take weeks to happen) or 125% Future cruise credit. Unfortunately that same cruise at the same time in the same cabin only 1 year from now is suddenly 30% more so your 125% credit won't cover it. 

We are fortunate that our cruise, Auckland to Melbourne is not until January 2021 hopefully we won't be affected; but I would be thoroughly choked if I was in the same boat as so many find themselves in.

 

I wouldn't say bad faith - as they're not explicitly increasing the price or disadvantaging current bookers. The price you get would be the same as if the same person had already cruised and chose to book again next year anyway!

 

However, from a personal financial perspective you should certainly weigh up whether it is a worthwhile offer to take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pushka said:

But you didn’t cancel! I know they are out of pocket but why do you need to carry that can!

 

Actually, they're not out of pocket.

 

Most cruise lines, including Princess for these Coronavirus sailings still pay the same commission for these cancelled cruises.

 

Thus, as per a separate post earlier, these travel agents are just trying it on (although with tough times for them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

 

Actually, they're not out of pocket.

 

Most cruise lines, including Princess for these Coronavirus sailings still pay the same commission for these cancelled cruises.

 

Thus, as per a separate post earlier, these travel agents are just trying it on (although with tough times for them).


Seriously? That's good their commissions are covered then, but that is simply double dipping! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed. Some people look for opportunities to maximise their income though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pushka said:

But you didn’t cancel! I know they are out of pocket but why do you need to carry that can!

I know however, happy to give us our $2280 refund from Princess - $600 for themselves, not happy, we do have cruises booked with them, however, no more, will book directly from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, subaru94 said:

I know however, happy to give us our $2280 refund from Princess - $600 for themselves, not happy, we do have cruises booked with them, however, no more, will book directly from now on.

You are in Adelaide. PHT perchance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Many TA's will hit you up with an amendment or cancellation fee, often $300, yours could be per person, a bit over the tip. Another reason why I always booked direct with Princess to avoid such charges.

Hence why I will book directly with cruise lines now, TA is being too short sighted they have no idea how much business they will lose over this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pushka said:

You are in Adelaide. PHT perchance?

No lets say they like flying and closing 100 branches here.  Oops I am in Adelaide sorry, just read my message back.

Edited by subaru94
Changed as did not make sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 9:56 AM, subaru94 said:

Be wary people of refunds if you have booked through a TA, our TA wants to slug $600 of our money, that Princess cancelled on the Majestic Princess which was due to go to Singapore, we did not cancel Princess did, Princess were good in giving FCC, and refunding money back to TA.

I believe we were on the same Majestic cruise which terminated in Perth instead of continuing on to Singapore. Princess credited our travel agent the 50% compensation which she immediately passed back to us in full. Don't see how the TA has any right to retain part thereof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NeilonBoard said:

I believe we were on the same Majestic cruise which terminated in Perth instead of continuing on to Singapore. Princess credited our travel agent the 50% compensation which she immediately passed back to us in full. Don't see how the TA has any right to retain part thereof.

Your lucky, I am not happy with our TA company, shortsightedness on their part as won't use them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...