viking cancellations

petrous

You would think the cancellations will be for a long time to come. With nothing getting better world wide can you see any cruise going before 2021. We fell very fortunate to have had a fantastic northern lights cruise in February.  Viking is our go to cruise line now. We hope they can make it through this. 

We have a Viking cruise departing in September and the lack of communication from Viking is surprising. Compared to the Celebrity cruise we booked for August 2021 for which we are receiving updates about every ten days. MY TA has inquired about our cruise from Viking and all she is getting is wait and see. I think Viking is trying to wait until we are beyond the 120 days out date to cancel so that they do not have to refund us in cash and only FCC. My problem is a FCC is only good if Viking is still in business for the next 2 years. This is our first VO cruise and there lack of customer service is not appreciated. Viking has everyone's full payment 6 to 12 months out and they do not want to refund any of the cash they have from it's customers. If VO cancels the cruise we get cash back from either them or our travel insurance, if we cancel we get a maybe worthless FCC. We would also lose our non-refundable air cost if we cancel. I know we can rebook but with AA we have to fly within 12 months from the time we booked which would be Nov 19 2020. 

• Like 1

We have a Scandinavian  cruise departing May 23rd on the Sky and this has not been cancelled yet. Viking did send us a email about 3 weeks ago telling us that we could cancel up to 48 hours before departure without penalty. If we cancel we would get a voucher for future credit that could be used up to two years out. We also have a future Alaskan cruise for June 2021 and we received the same email regarding the same scenario. Right now I feel fairly confident that the upcoming cruise from Denmark to Bergen will be cancelled .

Our cruise is May 2 out of London.  That puts it as the first cruise after their cancellations.  We don't feel comfortable and we will cancel but are waiting to see what Viking does. We too got the note about cancel anytime up to 24 hrs. My hope is to get our money back but FCC two years out is acceptable.

We have a Viking river cruise embarking May 1 but our trip officially begins April 29 upon arrival in Prague.  When I got in touch with Viking a few weeks back once they out out the new temporary policy I was told we did NOT fall under those guidelines since our ship embarkation date is May 1.  

Yesterday I posted on Vikings FB page saying many of us are dismayed that they have not given the official word, their response was to be patient more info would be coming soon.  Really!!!  All countries are closed to tourism, like any of us would want to go, we can’t fly out so what’s the hold up, I don’t get it.

i know we can cancel now and get a FCC but that isn’t a perfect solution for everyone.  And you can’t file on insurance since it’s not officially cancelled.  

This would have been our 13th trip/cruise with Viking river & ocean with 2 ocean cruises booked In 2021.  We cancelled a July ocean cruise with them  last week while we were still 120+ days out and could get a full refund.

Please speak up.

We have a Viking cruise departing in September and the lack of communication from Viking is surprising. Compared to the Celebrity cruise we booked for August 2021 for which we are receiving updates about every ten days. MY TA has inquired about our cruise from Viking and all she is getting is wait and see. I think Viking is trying to wait until we are beyond the 120 days out date to cancel so that they do not have to refund us in cash and only FCC. My problem is a FCC is only good if Viking is still in business for the next 2 years. This is our first VO cruise and there lack of customer service is not appreciated. Viking has everyone's full payment 6 to 12 months out and they do not want to refund any of the cash they have from it's customers. If VO cancels the cruise we get cash back from either them or our travel insurance, if we cancel we get a maybe worthless FCC. We would also lose our non-refundable air cost if we cancel. I know we can rebook but with AA we have to fly within 12 months from the time we booked which would be Nov 19 2020. 

We canceled two cruises and have received one partial refund already and second on the way. Excursions were included. We also got a voucher for future cruises. We made our own flight arrangements on one and are working on a refund. Our other flights were thru Viking and that’s being refunded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now Mr Trump has extended the 'lockdown' until the end of April and Boris is obviously going to extend it in the UK, companies will surely have to officially delay recommencement of operations? ( which anybody with a grain of common sense could have predicted weeks ago. Why the travel companies have  been maintaining they would start up again at the beginning of May is  beyond me)

Just got the email cancelling our Jun 27 Majestic Fjords sailing.  VIking has cancelled now through 30 Jun 2020.  Same terms for cruises cancelled in window.  Future cruise voucher at 125% or 100% cash refund.

30MAR2020

Dear Viking Guests,

I am writing to you today from my home, rather than the Viking office. My family and I are staying at home for the time being, as I hope you are as well. It is an adjustment for all of us and particularly for someone like me, who spends most of his time traveling. But we are truly living in an unprecedented time.

Since we started Viking nearly 23 years ago, we have always cared first and foremost about our guests and our employees. I feel we have become one large Viking family of 500,000 guests each year and 10,000 employees. Since day one, it has been our mission to create experiences for our guests that focus on the destination and allow them to explore the world in comfort. This has always been Viking’s ambition and will remain so.

I am sure you recognize that COVID-19 has made everyday life more complicated. On March 11, we were the first cruise line to announce a temporary suspension of operations through April 30, 2020. In the time since that announcement, many of you have expressed concern for our crew, and I want to reassure you that we are taking good care of them. We are using this period of non-operation as a time for additional training and initiatives to ensure we have the safest and healthiest fleet in the industry. As a private company we do not have to worry about quarterly profit expectations – and that flexibility allows us the ability to do what is best for our guests and our employees.

In that spirit, we have made the decision to extend our temporary suspension of operations through June 30, 2020.

As a guest whose cruise falls within this window of suspended operations, we are offering a Future Cruise Voucher valued at 125% of all monies paid to Viking. By adding 25% to the value of what you originally paid, you now have the opportunity to enhance your trip – such as choosing a longer itinerary; adding a Pre/Post cruise extension; upgrading your stateroom category; or even upgrading to business class air. You will have 24 months to use your Future Cruise Voucher to make a new reservation on any river, ocean or expedition cruise. For additional flexibility, if you are unable to use your voucher, we will automatically send you a refund equal to the original amount paid to Viking after the voucher expires. The 125% Future Cruise Voucher will also be fully transferable.

Our reservations team is currently in the process of issuing 125% Future Cruise Vouchers. However, if you prefer the alternative, you may choose a refund equal to the amount paid, by contacting your Travel Agent by April 6, 2020.

Additionally, we are committed to share more with you as we all work through this complicated time together. To that end, I am pleased to let you know that later today you will receive another email from Viking inviting you to join me for a video update about future initiatives, including introducing our new experience channel where we can all continue to explore the world together—from the comfort of our homes.

We will continue to stand by you, as well as our employees and partners, and hope that you will continue to stand by us.

Sincerely yours,
Viking Cruises

Torstein Hagen
Chairman

• Thanks 1

Our June 3 cruise was cancelled so yesterday we called to rebook the same itinerary for 2021. 

The agent, Wayne Crabb, was working from home and he was fabulous! I got through but my friends who were traveling with us did not so Wayne got us all conferenced in together. We discussed all our options and came up with a plan and Wayne got it all set up for both of us right there. Fairly painless! 

Thanks Viking! Hang in there! We are confident you can weather this storm!

Our cruise in June was cancelled, of course.  The price for next year is a little lower.  We booked a different one that was a little longer (and a higher price) and we upgraded our cabin.  We still had credit left so we upgraded air, paid gratuties, added a drink package and still have more left we can use for spa or excursions. (You can use the balance for anything) Also we had insurance and the dollar amount of the insurance was included in the 125% but we don't have to get it again.  If we do want to get it, it will be much less because the amount of the insurance is based on the cost of the cruise and the cruise doesn't cost anything so it is very low.  I would say they are being more than fair.  We are very pleased.

• Like 1

Just got off the phone with my Viking rep...........we're taking the 100% refund but we will be back.

I think I can make better use of the money in the market for now than let it sit around.
Very very happy with their response.

Edited by Thom71
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Thom71 said:

Just got off the phone with my Viking rep...........we're taking the 100% refund but we will be back.

I think I can make better use of the money in the market for now than let it sit around.
Very very happy with their response.

It is a buyers' market.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, terrydtx said:

I would say cancel and get your money back minus $200.  Since you seem to be skeptical, that's cash in hand.  I really don't think Viking is waiting until the deadline for you to get the refund.  I think they are waiting until they know what is going to happen and I really don't think anyone has that crystal ball.  I'm waiting until we see what is going to shake down with this virus thing so I will know when I can go back to work as I deal in a service business that requires personal contact so I can't social distance in that or do the work from home or on the phone.  I too am anxious but I know I have to wait.  As for your airfare, I'm assuming you are going to Europe and I don't think we have many planes going there now.  Maybe other places as well, I'm not sure.  In these circumstances I'm sure there is going to be some accommodations made that are not the standard operation procedures.  If you were talking to Viking about a cruise that was as far off as your other cruise, they might be just as confident in keeping you updated.  Like they were when you first booked this cruise, so long ago and no one knew about the virus.  Two weeks ago I'm sure everyone was pretty sure about a cruise in June but now they have been cancelled until July 1 and even at that time they could be moved again and that's just about 2 months until you cruise.  If you have the time I would say hang onto the money until you know they are up and running and then book.  Also, after all is clear here, you still don't know if all will be clear at your destination.  No real reason to plan a vacation if you can't get off the ship.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It is a buyers' market.

Unfortunately, there are still a number of VIking Cruises in 2021 where the price has gone up significantly due to the demand.  (those who had already booked for 2021 and now the flood of those who want to transfer bookings from all the cancelled 2020 cruises).    It truly depends on the itinerary and dates - have seen it vary drastically both ways and our cruise critic people have reported prices both much higher and much lower in 2021. 

We just got done re-booking for our cancelled mid June cruise. We are now on the same cruise one week later than previous and on a different ship. We upgraded our stateroom DV1 to PS2 and air from economy to comfort. Everything else apples to apples. We still have $$$ "left over" for excursions. Happy campers.

48 minutes ago, duquephart said:

We just got done re-booking for our cancelled mid June cruise. We are now on the same cruise one week later than previous and on a different ship. We upgraded our stateroom DV1 to PS2 and air from economy to comfort. Everything else apples to apples. We still have $$$ "left over" for excursions. Happy campers.

Glad everything worked out well for you - especially since you trashed Viking  in another thread yesterday: “They already have us figured for idiots...”. No hard feelings, and I truly hope you have a great cruise. Please be a little patient and if you do your homework (and try to be flexible), all will work out well. It has for me 4 times over the past few years.

Idiots was probably the wrong word. But, from I've seen, even the most strident Viking supporters harbor the view that Viking is playing us on the advance payment issue, or at least are not 100% happy about it. We are fronting them interest free money ----- what part of that is OK with you?

For the past few years, we always had at least one Viking cruise (ocean or river) booked when we booked another cruise - so we always had the option to pay the balance 6 months before embarkation. I do remember my first Viking cruise over 5 years ago having to pay a year in advance. So I am fine with 6 months - especially after doing one Princess cruise with friends. The nickel and diming, screaming kids, rudeness of 3,500 cruisers, etc. wasn't worth 3 months interest. BTW, earlier this year, Viking was offering 6 months to everyone. Same friends on Princess booked for the first time with Viking for a March 2021 cruise and won't pay until September.

17 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

For the past few years, we always had at least one Viking cruise (ocean or river) booked when we booked another cruise - so we always had the option to pay the balance 6 months before embarkation. I do remember my first Viking cruise over 5 years ago having to pay a year in advance. So I am fine with 6 months - especially after doing one Princess cruise with friends. The nickel and diming, screaming kids, rudeness of 3,500 cruisers, etc. wasn't worth 3 months interest. BTW, earlier this year, Viking was offering 6 months to everyone. Same friends on Princess booked for the first time with Viking for a March 2021 cruise and won't pay until September.

Indeed. We are not interested in finding out how things go on those huge ships. The first time somebody got in my way to take a grievously overpriced picture there would be a "man overboard" situation🙂.

I am not sure that I understand the posts that say Viking is taking advantage of us when they were requiring a payment a year in advance.  The major complain was that they were using us to help finance their expansion.

Well the facts are:

1) Viking like every other cruise line is in business to make money.

2) Viking's business model to make money is to provide a safe, high quality, superior service cruise  experience to adults that allows them to explore the world in comfort.

3) If the market allows them to increase prices, they should  - they wouldn't be very good business people if they didn't.

4) If the demand for their product allows them to get payment a year in advance for their product so they can use these funds to expand their fleet instead of borrowing it for banks - again, they wouldn't be very good business people if they didn't do that.

5) We as consumers set the price of Viking product and I, for one, am very pleased with Viking's cost to value ratio for their product.

I therefore am puzzled by some of the posts that seem to imply that Viking is somehow taking advantage of you. Viking owes you nothing.   You each determine what your own personal price to value ratio is and probably act accordingly.  Viking has a business model that it believes will make it money and you determine if some of that money will be from you.   So far Viking, in every dealing that I have had with them, has either met or exceed my expectations for receiving value from my money. As long as this continues they will continue to earn my business.

• Like 7