Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sbd78

Americans, how long until you received your refund?

Recommended Posts

Well, I reversed the charge with my CC.  Then MSC decided to dispute that reversal.

 

Funny how their accounting department is "just too busy" to refund everyone's money in accordance with their own policies and contracts, but they seems to have enough time to dispute reveres charges...

 

Screw MSC.  I hope this COVID crap bankrupts them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Billoftt said:

Well, I reversed the charge with my CC.  Then MSC decided to dispute that reversal.

 

Funny how their accounting department is "just too busy" to refund everyone's money in accordance with their own policies and contracts, but they seems to have enough time to dispute reveres charges...

 

Screw MSC.  I hope this COVID crap bankrupts them.

When did you first file and what date of cruise?

 

That is total BS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On December 2, 2019, I paid a deposit of $796.00 for a cruise that was to sail away on October 10th, 2020. The deadline to cancel and receive 100% of all funds paid thus far, per MSC Cruise Line's contract, was July 10th, 2020. I cancelled on April 28th, 2020 and was told I would receive my deposit within 30 days. After 40 days I called to ask where my refund was and was told it may take up to 60 days. At 60 days I was told it may take up to 90 days.

 

I read a lot of mixed reviews about MSC and decided to give them a chance.  The didn't even give me a chance to board the damn ship before burning me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And we wait and we wait - March 14 requests for March 29 cruises - today is July 23 - wow - am resisting booking anything new until this is all cleaned up for me - it is sad - I enjoy the anticipation of a booked cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have any more refunds come through during the past week?  It seems like there are no more positive reports for refunds... Unless I missed them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These Boards are quiet. If anyone has received a refund recently they have not posted it. I did start a thread specifically about March refunds being lost in a "big black hole." Seems like refunds after March are happenning but have not heard about anyone receiving refunds that were requested in March. And it is impossible to contact Accounting about March refunds as they are located n Switzerland. It's a mystery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cellfree said:

These Boards are quiet. If anyone has received a refund recently they have not posted it. I did start a thread specifically about March refunds being lost in a "big black hole." Seems like refunds after March are happenning but have not heard about anyone receiving refunds that were requested in March. And it is impossible to contact Accounting about March refunds as they are located n Switzerland. It's a mystery!

 

I didn't reply in your March thread because my cruise was slotted for April 4th, but I did request a refund on March 14th. I got no where with MSC. The money was refunded very timely once I disputed it with American Express.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

 

I didn't reply in your March thread because my cruise was slotted for April 4th, but I did request a refund on March 14th. I got no where with MSC. The money was refunded very timely once I disputed it with American Express.

It really seems like requests made in March are especially delayed/missing.  Some for April too.  We got 3 full refunds for requests made in May (cruises were scheduled for June and July).  I hoe MSC figures out what is going on.  It is our new favorite cruise line (DH - for sure, me - kind of tied with RCL), but it is disappointing to see how these refunds are delayed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, APDMOM said:

It really seems like requests made in March are especially delayed/missing.  Some for April too.  We got 3 full refunds for requests made in May (cruises were scheduled for June and July).  I hoe MSC figures out what is going on.  It is our new favorite cruise line (DH - for sure, me - kind of tied with RCL), but it is disappointing to see how these refunds are delayed.

 

Unfortunately, Shore-side customer service on MSC has been historically poor. Even with that, their prices have been very attractive and I can safely claim that MSC is my favorite value cruiseline. I am truly hoping they can survive this mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cellfree said:

These Boards are quiet. If anyone has received a refund recently they have not posted it. I did start a thread specifically about March refunds being lost in a "big black hole." Seems like refunds after March are happenning but have not heard about anyone receiving refunds that were requested in March. And it is impossible to contact Accounting about March refunds as they are located n Switzerland. It's a mystery!

Moved cruise from 5/23/20 to 7/4/20 cruise booking on March 30/20 was told funds transferred but Onboard would be refunded to CC and could take up to 7 days. Called 2 weeks later and told up to 30 days. Called again and told up to 60 days.

Called on 5/5/20 and told fill out request on website not sure why . Still have no correspondence from MSC as to the refund when if ever to be returned and told Spa credit from May cruise would be escalated.

May 29/20 found out 7/4/20 cruise cancelled, changed to new booking 12/19/20. Inquired again about refund and told should be in 90 days of requested date.

June 29/20 friend told me they changed the boat. Now my 12/19/20 sailing is on the Meraviglia instead of the Seaside. Again escalated the Spa refund and still no correspondence from MSC but was told should be getting an email.

They've now cancelled 2 cruises and changed the boat and still have never actually notified me of any of this. I booked direct.

I have received nothing from MSC since March 30 when they canceled my May cruise and rebooked for July. I have requested a confirmation of the booking for 12/19/20 the Booking # is the same as the 7/4/20 and the seaside 12/19/20 sailing dates. My booking shows that I owe the payment and does not show any payments received and it should be paid in full. I am not entitled to 125% FCC as I cancelled and rebooked rather than wait and yet they still haven't applied the money that they did not and are not going to refund me and the onboard service refund that I have asked to have transferred to the new booking and they say can't be done they haven't refunded. It's $312 US funds.

I'm Canadian and had and have issues with their Canadian website. If they refund me the money I lose in the exchange rate when my CC refunds it. The 1 and only time I had to dispute on my CC it was $90 and the card company only gave me $73 back as they charge collection fees. See why I'm not quick to to this? This was a different card company than I used but I don't want to lose on the exchange and collection fees if I don't have to.

Today I called and it has now been over 3 hours on hold as like others you can't actually call the company without going through all the people who can't help you 1st.

For the love of sanity I can only hope I don't get the witch Luna when I finally do get to speak to someone as she's been a dozzie since the 1st time I had to speak to her!

So mine is a March cancel refund request that has gone well past the 100 day marker like dexx.

My only question now is do I continue trying to be patient or when I give up do I put the whole charge back through the credit card? Then if I do how do I prove my claim when the only way I can see my booking is through the log in on the website?

We've never cruised and I am not seeing a boat in our future. It takes a few kicks in the head but eventually I get the message!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, juraspark said:

Moved cruise from 5/23/20 to 7/4/20 cruise booking on March 30/20 was told funds transferred but Onboard would be refunded to CC and could take up to 7 days. Called 2 weeks later and told up to 30 days. Called again and told up to 60 days.

Called on 5/5/20 and told fill out request on website not sure why . Still have no correspondence from MSC as to the refund when if ever to be returned and told Spa credit from May cruise would be escalated.

May 29/20 found out 7/4/20 cruise cancelled, changed to new booking 12/19/20. Inquired again about refund and told should be in 90 days of requested date.

June 29/20 friend told me they changed the boat. Now my 12/19/20 sailing is on the Meraviglia instead of the Seaside. Again escalated the Spa refund and still no correspondence from MSC but was told should be getting an email.

They've now cancelled 2 cruises and changed the boat and still have never actually notified me of any of this. I booked direct.

I have received nothing from MSC since March 30 when they canceled my May cruise and rebooked for July. I have requested a confirmation of the booking for 12/19/20 the Booking # is the same as the 7/4/20 and the seaside 12/19/20 sailing dates. My booking shows that I owe the payment and does not show any payments received and it should be paid in full. I am not entitled to 125% FCC as I cancelled and rebooked rather than wait and yet they still haven't applied the money that they did not and are not going to refund me and the onboard service refund that I have asked to have transferred to the new booking and they say can't be done they haven't refunded. It's $312 US funds.

I'm Canadian and had and have issues with their Canadian website. If they refund me the money I lose in the exchange rate when my CC refunds it. The 1 and only time I had to dispute on my CC it was $90 and the card company only gave me $73 back as they charge collection fees. See why I'm not quick to to this? This was a different card company than I used but I don't want to lose on the exchange and collection fees if I don't have to.

Today I called and it has now been over 3 hours on hold as like others you can't actually call the company without going through all the people who can't help you 1st.

For the love of sanity I can only hope I don't get the witch Luna when I finally do get to speak to someone as she's been a dozzie since the 1st time I had to speak to her!

So mine is a March cancel refund request that has gone well past the 100 day marker like dexx.

My only question now is do I continue trying to be patient or when I give up do I put the whole charge back through the credit card? Then if I do how do I prove my claim when the only way I can see my booking is through the log in on the website?

We've never cruised and I am not seeing a boat in our future. It takes a few kicks in the head but eventually I get the message!

Wow, you've been lied to more times than me.

 

The large TA we use seems to have been obliterated.  Contact seems to be with limited staff out of Mexico.  Waiting for response from Tuesday email to TA but very near to card dispute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dexddd said:

Wow, you've been lied to more times than me.

 

The large TA we use seems to have been obliterated.  Contact seems to be with limited staff out of Mexico.  Waiting for response from Tuesday email to TA but very near to card dispute.

I have been going through the same issues since my March 21 cruise was canceled. I sent emails all the way up the chain with zero responses to any of them. I have given MSC one more chance to rectify the situation and told them if I don't receive refunds by today I am initiating charge back with credit card. The only reason I haven't already, is that there are multiple credit cards involved, since this was booked well over a year in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have resisted the cc charge back as I have waited this long (March 14 requests for March 29 cancellations) so keep thinking “maybe one more day.” Might have to give up on MSC’s Accounting Department. Surely someone is overseeing what they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from our situation which seems very similar to everyone else.  Our cruises were cancelled in March and we submitted requests for refunds on 16 March and 31 March.  Only response we EVER got was the standard email that our refund would be processed in 60 days.  Gave them their time, called several times and got canned answers but still no refund.  About mid-June, we had enough so processed a Visa chargeback.  They immediately applied a temporary credit back to our account and contacted MSC.  MSC has until 18 August to do something otherwise it will be become permanent.  Can't imagine how they would dispute it but who knows, we will see in 3 weeks.  We really like MSC but refuse to throw more $$ at them until this is resolved.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I updated the March thread, but TA told three more weeks.  No thanks.  That would be five months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jstrutton said:

Update from our situation which seems very similar to everyone else.  Our cruises were cancelled in March and we submitted requests for refunds on 16 March and 31 March.  Only response we EVER got was the standard email that our refund would be processed in 60 days.  Gave them their time, called several times and got canned answers but still no refund.  About mid-June, we had enough so processed a Visa chargeback.  They immediately applied a temporary credit back to our account and contacted MSC.  MSC has until 18 August to do something otherwise it will be become permanent.  Can't imagine how they would dispute it but who knows, we will see in 3 weeks.  We really like MSC but refuse to throw more $$ at them until this is resolved.  

Our chargeback story is similar, with a surprise ending.  Called Visa May 23 to discuss delayed refund and ask their advice.  Visa said the delay did not adhere to their vendor guidelines (20 days), and suggested we start a chargeback immediately.  Didn't need to twist our arm.  Visa said MSC had 60 days to dispute the chargeback after which is would be permanent, same as your story.  Temporary credit went on our cc acct the next day.  Then after 35 days the credit moved to the permanent column, and is still there after 62 days.  Don't know why it went permanent way before the 60 days was up.

Edited by Bob7
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 6:38 AM, dexddd said:

(snip)The large TA we use seems to have been obliterated.  Contact seems to be with limited staff out of Mexico.  Waiting for response from Tuesday email to TA but very near to card dispute.

Curious which large TA is largely MIA?  We usually use 2, one that rhymes with Snooze.com and one that rhymes with CruKong, who still seem to be handling things properly.  When one of our cruises was cancelled our booking rep from Snooze was on the phone the next day to explain options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Bob7 said:

Curious which large TA is largely MIA?  We usually use 2, one that rhymes with Snooze.com and one that rhymes with CruKong, who still seem to be handling things properly.  When one of our cruises was cancelled our booking rep from Snooze was on the phone the next day to explain options.

Part of the cold things you put in drinks.  Has branch that supports US Military.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled my April 25th sailing on March 13. I'm still waiting for my refund 😤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good news!

 

We got 2 more deposit refunds.  They were not due until 8/22.  Based upon feedback here, I am really thinking two things factor into our timely refunds:

 

1. We booked directly with MSC and get direct phone contact with the CS Reps.

2. We did not have any cancellations in March or early April 

Edited by APDMOM
clarify 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you got your deposits back. Those do seem to be being processed regardless of timing. It is the March refunds for cruises MSC cancelled that seem to be lost somewhere. I always book with MSC and have been talking to them directly. Still waiting but close to credit card dispute. It is sad that it seems to be the way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Glad you got your deposits back. Those do seem to be being processed regardless of timing. It is the March refunds for cruises MSC cancelled that seem to be lost somewhere. I always book with MSC and have been talking to them directly. Still waiting but close to credit card dispute. It is sad that it seems to be the way to go. 

 

I was actually starting to think that refunds had stopped, since it was so quiet here during the past two weeks regarding refund reports.   

 

We received 3 fully paid cruise refunds for May and June at the beginning of the month (posted some pages back, so easy to miss).  I was just glad to see any refunds, due to the lack of positive reports here.  I hope they figure out what happened to the March/April refunds!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking through the threads on many other major cruise lines, non-refund seems to be universal.  We opted for FCC, but are still waiting for refunds on our hotels and shuttles.  Airline has been "generous" enough to give us one year from the date we booked (not the dates we were to fly); otherwise, nothing.  I don't think MSC is any worse than anyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Looking through the threads on many other major cruise lines, non-refund seems to be universal.  We opted for FCC, but are still waiting for refunds on our hotels and shuttles.  Airline has been "generous" enough to give us one year from the date we booked (not the dates we were to fly); otherwise, nothing.  I don't think MSC is any worse than anyone else.


I agree that there are issues across the board with refunds.  It gave me peace of mind to read about other cruiseline issues when we were waiting for our big MSC refunds ($12,000+).  

 

I think the frustrating part on MSC is the fact that refunds are not chronologically processed.  March and April cancellations are not getting refunded, while May and June refunds have come through.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...