Americans, how long until you received your refund?

sbd78

On 5/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, Tara619 said:

I’m in the US and had a 3/21 Caribbean cruise on the Seaside cancelled. I requested the full refund and it is pending on my credit card as of today!!  So maybe 60 days will be accurate for you all too.

Well, the credit was pending on my actively used credit card from 5/19-5/23.  Today, it has disappeared and did not post. Where did my refund go? Now I’m angry. What should my next step be? Call Chase or MSC? I have screenshots from when it was pending.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tara619 said:

Well, the credit was pending on my actively used credit card from 5/19-5/23.  Today, it has disappeared and did not post. Where did my refund go? Now I’m angry. What should my next step be? Call Chase or MSC? I have screenshots from when it was pending.

Yes I'd call Chase, it's their issue.  I wonder if MSC saw the chargeback and told Chase they'd do the refund now, and maybe Chase removed the credit since MSC's refund is "coming."  I wondered what would happen if many weeks after we get our credit card chargebacks , MSC sends the refund b/c they are so lost they don't even know about the chargeback.   Let us know what Chase says.  So many plot twists, it's like a crazy show on TV.

Edited by Bob7
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Caledonia Boy said:

@Bob7 It is now day 84 since we got off the boat and day 88 since we were given our letter of refund by the captain. Not so much as an email from MSC or Sunwing. I know that MSC has given the money to Sunwing, the Canadian tour operator, more than 2 weeks ago. When I call Sunwing, they don't even know what department to put me through to.They are nice, polite and empathetic but they just can't help.  

I found the CEO, President and VP of Customer Relations emails. I emailed them all over a week ago and nothing. One of the funniest things was that the head of customer relations email kicked back saying that it would only receive emails from other Sunwing employees. I guess they really don't care about their customers after all. What a surprise.

It will be a frosty day in Hell before I deal with Sunwing again. 

Good luck all

Caledonia boy

Are you calling your credit card?  They'll want the date of the original charge so they can look it up.

1 hour ago, Bob7 said:

Yes I'd call Chase, it's their issue.  I wonder if MSC saw the chargeback and told Chase they'd do the refund now, and maybe Chase removed the credit since MSC's refund is "coming."  I wondered what would happen if many weeks after we get our credit card chargebacks , MSC sends the refund b/c they are so lost they don't even know about the chargeback.   Let us know what Chase says.  So many plot twists, it's like a crazy show on TV.

I never did a chargeback.  I’m going to call Chase Tuesday.  If anything fishy is going on, then I’ll do a chargeback. I’m done waiting at this point. My cruise was one of the first cancelled and should’ve been one of the first refunded. 70+ days later is plenty of time to do it.

@Bob7 I haven't called the CC company yet. I am not sure what to do. Sunwing is a tour operator not just a travel agent. As such they buy blocks of rooms and get a discount price from MSC (and other lines). How much am I to ask the CC company for? MSC offered us the "Cruise Only Fare" back. I booked a package that included flights, transfers, drink package and balcony room for $1,595 CDN. I looked at MSC Canada and they aren't even offering cruises next Feb. I looked at MSC USA and they are offering the same cruise only fare on the Seaside without the drink package for $549 US plus port taxes. What should I ask the CC company for? 

I'm closing in on 90 days and I am fed up. Sunwing can't even direct me to the correct department to answer my questions. It isn't like they won't. When I am dealing with people on the phone they are at a complete loss as to what to do. The most frustrating part is that other people at least get an email saying that they are being screwed over. I get nothing from Sunwing or MSC.

Maybe I should just call the CC company and ask for everything back. All $3,190 for the 2 of us. I doubt that I would get it but maybe it would at least get them to contact me. 

Good luck

Caledonia boy

20 hours ago, Tara619 said:

Tara619:

Exact same thing happened to me on Friday, May 23d, as well.  My refund was showing as "pending from May 19th up to Friday morning, May 23d.  I e-mailed Chase and got their response yesterday:

"Hello, thank you for contacting us.  We reviewed your account and found that a return for $xxxx.xx was attempted on May 19,2020.  However, the credit has dropped off your account possibly because the merchant has cancelled the refund.  We recommend contacting the merchant directly to confirm the status of your credit."

I e-mailed MSC sales service dept last night @ sales.service@msccruisesusa.com by hitting reply, once again, to their original refund request confirmation e-mail.  They have been responding in about 2-3 days, even though their answers are boilerplate, IMO.  I'm going to wait for their answer (not holding my breath, at this point).

Assuming they come back without a clear response, then I will feel justified disputing the charge thru Chase credit cards as I have now followed their recommended actions to resolve this.

Some others have posted MSC rep told them they process refunds on Mon & Tues of each week, so I'll probably wait until Wed to see if it shows back up before contacting Chase.

These are just my plans going forward, you gotta do what fits your situation the best.

Chase responded already.  I clearly explained the issue with the pending credit disappearing, but I’m not sure the CS rep understood based on her reply.  Also, the deposit was on my husband’s Chase card and we also sent an email to Chase about that refund disappearing and he got the same response as @psmarkle.

The credit from MSC Cruises USA hasn't posted to your account as of today. While most credits appear within a week, merchants have up to 30 days to process a credit. Please contact the merchant directly to see if your credit has been processed. The credit will post to your account on the day we receive it. You'll be able to see it in your current online activity. You also have an option of disputing the charge online or with us.

We started our dispute 2 Sundays ago.  On Saturday we checked the account and had a balance that indicated we were given at least temporary credit.  My husband says it is now showing as dispute charges refunded.  That seems very fast to have resolved this but I do hope that it is done.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aprilF said:

We started our dispute 2 Sundays ago.  On Saturday we checked the account and had a balance that indicated we were given at least temporary credit.  My husband says it is now showing as dispute charges refunded.  That seems very fast to have resolved this but I do hope that it is done.

When you say you have a temporry credit, is this a 'pending' refund transaction?

My CC statement shows a 'posted' refund. I am hoping that this is final... Strangely, the dispute was divided into the deposit amount and final payment which necessitated two disputes, but the single posted transaction is just for the final payment. weird..

• Like 1

Glad to hear it April!  Granny, that sounds final to me.  Congrats to you both. 

My refund request was March 14. Sail date was April 4th. Haven't heard a thing from MSC and it's been nearly 75 days.  I gave MSC the benefit of the doubt thinking there might have been a sliver of truth to the Monday/Tuesday refund rumor. I officially filed a dispute with American Express. They immediately credited my account the full amount (I booked after final payment was due so I didn't have two payments to process) but said it could take until July to resolve. That would be odd for American Express who is usually right on-top of things. I'll keep the forum posted.

• Like 1

My refund that was listed for 4 days as "pending" vanished as well.  What in the world is MSC doing?  My wife spoke to CC company yesterday and they said to follow up with MSC and if they can't correct the issue within 5-7 days we should file a dispute.

The refund of our initial deposit that was on a different CC seems to be sticking.  It was never listed as pending.  Strange.  Something goofing going on.

• Like 1

Wow. This is getting annoying. I was so hopeful. Our scheduled cruise was March 20 on Divina, forms filled out March 15. No response!! On another note, we were due to  sail home on Cunard QM2, on April 18, and their refunds are non-existent as well. Upcoming cruises that we have scheduled this Oct/Nov won’t see final payments from me!!

• Like 1

I sent an email to MSC Monday, but decided to call this morning to see if I could get any info about my cancelled refund.  They took the first 6 and last 4 digits of my credit cards used to pay for the cruise and submitted it to someone for review.  They told me to call back in a few days to check the status.  I have a feeling they’re not going to have any answers and are just stalling. I’ll be filing a dispute with my credit cards Saturday if there are no answers. 

Everyone else who who is having the same problem with cancelled refunds, please keep us updated. 

Edited by Tara619
  • Like 1

All of this is total BS on the part of MSC.

There was some hope. I will try to contact MSC but if no resolve, CC will be next.  Total breach of what they told us and total breach of trust with loyal, supportive customers here on CC.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tara619 said:

I sent an email to MSC Monday, but decided to call this morning to see if I could get any info about my cancelled refund.  They took the first 6 and last 4 digits of my credit cards used to pay for the cruise and submitted it to someone for review.  They told me to call back in a few days to check the status.  I have a feeling they’re not going to have any answers and are just stalling. I’ll be filing a dispute with my credit cards Saturday if there are no answers. 

Everyone else who who is having the same problem with cancelled refunds, please keep us updated. 

What was their response to not giving refund in 60 days?

• Like 1

THat's awful that MSC seems to be cancelling pending refunds.

15 hours ago, GrannyGear said:

When you say you have a temporry credit, is this a 'pending' refund transaction?

My CC statement shows a 'posted' refund. I am hoping that this is final... Strangely, the dispute was divided into the deposit amount and final payment which necessitated two disputes, but the single posted transaction is just for the final payment. weird..

I was correct in that it was too soon to have a real refund.  After trying to verify what my husband told me online, it seems that the refund is still pending investigation.  I have no idea why he felt the need to tell me that the refund was posted, he clearly knew that it was the pending funds that "posted" because he acted t\like I was crazy for thinking it was done.  LOL  But he also knew that the pending funds were folded into our account already due to the balance.  I figure I am about 2.5 weeks out from being done with MSC.  :fingerscrossed:

Hope others get resolved favorably, it just really stinks how MSC is jerking people around.  First with the moving timeline and now with clawing back pending refunds.  I wonder how the MSC lovers will justify this latest stunt because you just know there will be some excuse on why this is "normal".

32 minutes ago, dexddd said:

What was their response to not giving refund in 60 days?

I didn’t ask.  They had no response when I asked why my refund was cancelled. I’m guessing the customer service rep doesn’t know anything and just types up info to send to someone else to investigate.

• Like 1

As I stated in a previous post, we disputed the charges about three weeks ago. Received an immediate temporary credit for the amounts being disputed. Credit card company stated that it could take up to “two” billing cycles to close this out. My guess is MSC knows this and will take their time. I have patience when I’m given a window of time to expect the refund but not when they start playing games by moving the needle to their advantage. They’re not doing a lot to build consumer confidence here in the North American market. Sad. 

• Like 1

We followed up with MSC today.  The rep knew of the credit pull back and blamed it on the accounting department error.  She said they knew there was a problem and we should be patient and we will get the refund soon.  Could/would not answer what "soon" was and would not transfer us up to a supervisor/manager and was not permitted to transfer us to accounting.

She did apologize to us.  She did take our reservation number and put a note in our file indicating that we had called.

I really feel like MSC is stringing us along.  I am not sure if it is just to delay the refund or something much worse.

We immediately called our CC company and they gave us credit.  They really feel like the refund will be permanent but MSC has 30 days to respond to them.   I should have done this a month ago but was willing to give MSC the benefit of the doubt.  Not anymore.  Wife is swearing off MSC going forward.  I am not sure. 

• Like 3

On 5/24/2020 at 10:44 AM, Tara619 said:

The refunds are back on my credit card this morning and have posted!  I’m not sure if it’s because I sent an email to executives, called customer service yesterday, commented on multiple posts on their Facebook page, or none of the above. @Rob-Bob @psmarkle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tara619 said:

The refunds are back on my credit card this morning and have posted!  I’m not sure if it’s because I sent an email to executives, called customer service yesterday, commented on multiple posts on their Facebook page, or none of the above. @Rob-Bob @psmarkle

This is good news.  I will check my statement and see if ours has reappeared.